SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I may have created the most boring SSTNAB ever, the hardest bit is getting off the runway (roll off the end with the s button mashed down, blip the RCS if you need it), but after that just match speed to height i.e. at 5000m be going 500ms, to 10000m+ then just go as fast you can till the air runs out, at 80 km apoapsis or higher you can switch to nukes to do the last 160ms or so to circularise, if your impatient you can do it on the rapiers, but this way leaves you with 3200ms+ of dV to go wherever you want. I am just testing and balancing the VTOL/STOL jets for small moons and atmosphered planets and moons. It has drill, ISRU, and Storage tank, RTG's, batteries and solar and some radiators. It is so boring to fly to orbit I almost fell asleep. Comes down very well, make sure you have plenty of runway though if you are coming down nearly full, it takes a while to slow down.

4LUQTKC.png

Release soon once I have finished testing and refining

Edited by selfish_meme

I finally got my first SSTO working. I like how it turned out. It's easy to fly and I like how it looks. The struts are very kerbal.

RUlvjqJ.png

https://kerbalx.com/EmpressNeptune/S-840-HSSTO-PLUS

The original goal was to lift an orange tank to 85km, but it ended up being completely oversized. On the other hand, it will let me lift things higher which is good. I'll make a new smaller version for the orange tank lift.

2 hours ago, TAL said:

Я просто это здесь оставлю

Holy mother of kraken! Single stage to Tylo without airbreathers? Take all my rep, good sir.

Rune. I love the song you picked for the video, too.

Edited by Rune

This is the lander for Eve. It weighs 12 tons for a full set and can get into orbit from 4km height.
yj8IVTH.jpg

This is Cargoplane 18 - 50meters ed. =),  It can take four such and still have space and payload capacity for trinkets

jLjEQ7L.jpg

Whoops! Forgot to show off my first-ever successful SSTO (been trying to build one for months!)

wLQGdft.png

All stock parts. Six Whiplash engines, one Poodle, and FAT-455 tailfins for the wings to get the Imperial insignia.

Possible design issue: her COM might be too far forward once the fuel tanks empty. Yes, she makes orbit easily, and then stares at me and goes "what, why the hell did you have so much trouble making an SSTO??", but I haven't tried to bring her back down yet, and I'm thinking there might be a cratering issue....... :o

Here are just a few of my latest designs.

L5qPEOP.jpg

SR-71 Based Design with a piggy-back Duna Probe.

opeNKTz.png

With the success of the GI-22 Multipurpose Fighter, came plans to expand this fighter's dominance in to space. Thus, the GI-22 Multirole Space Fighter was born.

v9IPbiK.png

I was showing a friend KSP and she wanted to see just how few parts I could make an SSTO out of... Challenge accepted, this SSTO was only 12 parts.

Mv9hYlR.png

OQdWmEX.jpg

Last (but certainly not the least!!), My Single Stage to Duna and back again. I've yet to successfully land it, but I'm certain it is capable of round tripping Duna.

Well I can say that this is SSTOrbit... at least. And I'm reading >1,500m/s on that tiny nuke alone whit a bit of LFO left over at circularization, so perhaps quite a bit more.

M8224xU.png

Rune. So yeah, the Vectors are "a bit" OP.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Well I can say that this is SSTOrbit... at least. And I'm reading >1,500m/s on that tiny nuke alone whit a bit of LFO left over at circularization, so perhaps quite a bit more.

M8224xU.png

Rune. So yeah, the Vectors are "a bit" OP.

Well, what's in that cargo bay?

13 hours ago, Thingymajigy said:

Well, what's in that cargo bay?

A full set of ISRU equipment, of course! 

Edit: Actually, you can have a closeup of the stuff doing its thing... @TAL, I'm coming for you! ;)

LTP8J0u.png

Rune. Hence the "perhaps quite a bit more".

Edited by Rune

My latest Mk. III spaceplane, the Moray Delta VI. It can lift 36 tons to a 95 km orbit with 300m/s of dV left, perform a lot of orbital service when going up with a payload around 20 tons, or take a payload of up to 10 tons around the Mün. The original design started with 8 R.A.P.I.E.R engines, but the wing optimization and angled positioning of the engine nacelles allow this craft to take off with a TWR of only 0.43 when fully loaded. The low thrust to weight ratio requires building up speed early to break Mach 1 at an altitude of 5000 m. Otherwise it will stay in atmosphere. On the other hand, the craft reaches 1.500 m/s in air breathing engine mode with ease, when flown by an experienced pilot.

The design is almost finished now. I only had one little idea that needs some testing, concerning the outer engine nacelles. If the test is successful, the craft will be released to the public for download.

Here is the Delta VI docked to the early construction stage of Kerbin Orbital One. This station will be constructed only from parts, delivered by this spaceplane. But hgngngn... as i posted this screenshot, i noticed, that the orbital construction vehicle on the left of the station is not the latest version... must have forgotten to update the subassembly... damn... however, now i can test, how the Delta VI lands with cargo... hngnghnnn.

k6a9hEv.png

The Delta VI on final approach to the KSC runway. I slightly overshot the KSC, but the Moray is not only a very capable glider, it also is quite maneuverable when inside the atmosphere. Even tight 180° turns at speeds around 350 m/s are no problem for this craft. Usually it has plenty of dV left, when returning from orbit, so powered landings and course correction are no problem. Two small drogue chutes help the craft to stop, while still on the runway (it is better this way, believe me!).

JTmny1g.png

And back on the runway.

HQwuXmp.png

[edit] please excuse those strange graphical glitches at the screens top row... the issue appeared with 1.0.5. I hope to see it vanished with 1.1 :)

Edited by Frank_G

4 hours ago, max_creative said:

I started attempting an ssto yesterday... Lots of booms, no successful ssto. :( 

Just some tips... Start small... Very small. Try building an SSTO, that does nothing but to go into orbit. Then start adding functionality like a capsule and a small cargo bay, one at a time. Go with a single R.A.P.I.E.R engine. It provides enough thrust to go into orbit and offers everything necessary to understand the principles of building and flying an SSTO. Godspeed!

Edited by Frank_G