SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2016 at 6:27 AM, XB-70A said:

XB-70, I really liked your T-tail design, and though it may not have been a successful Duna-capable machine, it makes a fine low orbit machine with a few tweaks.

lAnLtJ4.png

z22VK1E.png

Edited by Exothermos
fixes

Really nice looking craft, it seems awesome!

9 hours ago, Exothermos said:

XB-70, I really liked your T-tail design, and though it may not have been a successful Duna-capable machine, it makes a fine low orbit machine with a few tweaks.

Yes I literally rip the concept drawings apart... I'd chosen that specific design to climb easily without touching the controls. Like the T-tails aircraft keep a positive angle while cruising. Too much air resistance increasing the consumption was the last drop of trouble needed to threw that craft away.

I will restart to work on some lightest other T-tails project. With their overpower thrust crushing the resistance problems the tail is not a problem anymore. Like with the old Mad Dog :

Mju3uWb.png

0SO5vHz.png

SSTO Red Supertanker 80, 620T on take off, more than 10 Rockomax Jumbo 64 fuel tank full of liquid fuel in orbit at 110kms. Mark IV system cockpit and fuselage, OPT J61 starwaster liquid fuel Ramjet engines associated to MRS Nuclear Quad engines, B9 procedural wings

Spoiler

469918screenshot106.png

Cobra Re entry

Spoiler

922843screenshot78.png

Final for landing on rough terrain for testing and also because we must flare very carefully and touch with a VS less than 3m/s on the 6 -6Wheels main gears. Not easy without glideslope....

Spoiler

893029screenshot82.png

Landed successfully, braking with brakes and 2 repack able drag chutes

Spoiler

777974screenshot83.png

Some pics of my OPT supertanker K59in flight. It left more than 7 Rockomax Jumbo tank of full of liquid fuel in orbit at 100 kms

After take off, during acceleration after 10kms

Reveal hidden contents

After retrograde breaking on back, flip to Cobra re-entry on Radial+ position, helped with RCS vernors over and under the cockpit and at wingtip, and Monoprop thrusters used for docking

Reveal hidden contents

Diving to airport and loosing speed

Reveal hidden contents

Short final 09, we will land on grass fro training, landing on runway is very difficult because I need to touch down at less han 3m/s and it's not easy to plan without a glideslope.

Reveal hidden contents

Flare with drag chute, speed brakes are not necessary and they will be removed

Reveal hidden contents

Edited by gilflo

Guest Space Cowboy

Shallow your approach. Like, half an orbit to get from space to the surface, to start.

===============================================================
Final version (for me for now) two orange tank to 150km orbit [stock] 1.2.1

screenshot53

Edited by Space Cowboy

Been a while since I posted in this thread, my latest cargo carrying creation. The goal was to keep the plane compact as possible, while being capable of carrying a decent cargo load.

20161204092026_1.jpg

20161204094404_1.jpg

20161203162258_1.jpg

20161204091356_1.jpg

Edited by huggy

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/C7-Galaxian

Finally built a mk3 cargo ssto with a ramp.   I don't know why you'd want a ramp on an interplanetary ssto  (why do you need a rover when you've got an airplane?) but people keep asking for one so here it is -

20161204205232_1_zpsjemvjygp.jpg

20161204215903_1_zpszhfsvzab.jpg

100 tons fuelled with no rover.   4 rapier and 4 nukes.  My non-ramp cargo has more delta v , but this isn't bad tbh.

IJyHCTh.jpg

ewwG2s2.jpg

A Mk 3 SSTO I made to put out-sized cargo that doesn't fit in Mk 3 cargo bays into orbit.  It's bone stock and can loft at least 50t, probably a lot more in the right hands.  It has heaps of fuel once it gets to orbit, but I'm not sure it would be a good interplanetary ship due to it's low NERV TWR.  If someone wants to try though, I'm happy to share the craft file.  I will post more pictures when I can, I had to revert this flight because the fairing went missing for no reason.  Maybe my laptop doesn't like running Bandicam and KSP at the same time.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

Mark IV B9 SSTO Supertanker

Liquid fuel only version - Can be fueled as well with Oxidizer or whatever fuel you need, provided you do not go over the maxi take off weight and stay in the COM limits. - 80500L (more than 12 Rockomax jumbo 64) with 80% left at 100kms Kerbin orbit - 2 Starwaster J61 2.65m Ramjet engines and 2 MRS Nuke 3.55m Quad engines.

Senior docking port - 2 repackable drag chutes for landing on rough terrain - 620T maximumon take off - Tested on all flight enveloppe with CorrectCOL mod and in Flight - Landing VS must be 3m/s maxi

Overpowered to reach orbit easily -   Cockpit and wings Vernor RCS engines to help for re-entry in high AOA - SpaceY RCS thrusters for docking - Dry and Fuel COM very near from each other...

Best maneuvrability with Atmospheric Autopilot mod. Engines working only on LiquidFuel.

Downloadable

https://kerbalx.com/gilflo/Red-Supertanker-80

445748screenshot108.png

Re-entry

Spoiler

922843screenshot78.png

Approach

Spoiler

893029screenshot82.png

Landing

Spoiler

777974screenshot83.png

Edited by gilflo

Mark IV B9 SSTO tanker - Vulture Cockpit - B9 aerospace wings - LiquidFuel only Engines - 82000L of Liquid Fuel -can be fitted for Liquidfuel and Oxy -630T on take off - 2 Starwaster J61 Ramjet engines and 2 Quad nuke MRS engines - 80 % fuel left on 110kms Kerbin orbit with 7400DV. - 2 Fuel connectors - Senior docking port - Vulture docking port - 2 Repackable chutes for rough landings on any ground surface  -Cockpit and wings Vernors to help for high AOA or Cobra Re-entry - SpaceY thrusters for docking. - Dry COM and Fuelled COM very near improve maneuverability whoever is the weight - Tested in all flgiht enveloppe - Pitch and Yaw stability in all flight enveloppe confirmed with CorrectCOL mod - VS landing at full weight must be less than 3m/s

https://kerbalx.com/gilflo/Vulture-supertanker-K82

819115screenshot161.png

Climb

Spoiler

918821screenshot130.png

Re entry

Spoiler

675914screenshot142.png

Cooking

Spoiler

723119screenshot146.png

Landing

Spoiler

698677screenshot159.png

I made this particular craft able to achieve 100km orbit without using rapiers (it has 4 ramjet engines, 2 aerospike and 2 nukes), It is capable of carrying 2 crew and is equipped with 1 small cargo bay.  It is capable of reaching munar orbit after refuel.

20161207015053_1.jpg

20161206151013_1.jpg

20161209103242_1.jpg

Edited by huggy

Hi there!

Since several versions (and aero changes), I have played KSP the first time today. I've tried some SSTO designs, but only achieved munar orbit so far:

scbcNB4.jpg

Approaching the home planet:

Spoiler

y8mu7dg.jpg

Final (third) reentry:

Spoiler

K0HvM32.jpg

Approaching KSC RWY 09

Spoiler

4MkNCAV.jpg

Deploying drag chute. Mission success!

Spoiler

aIWl1BL.jpg

Edited by jmiki8

I built this not too long ago, the NOX Palladium (No Oxidizer) hypersonic shuttle. It gets to orbital velocities very easily, but that's without any space engines attached. But clip one NERV engine into it and it utterly became a failure. I don't like clipping functional parts (an engine inside an engine) but I really needed this small thing and its eccentric design to work. Clipping a nose cone to deal with the assumed drag induced by the NERV seems effective. It's not easy to SSTO but at least it's doable again. And to balance the NERV's presence the rear Mk2 crew cabin will be replaced by a cargo bay.

These screenshots are before I added the NERV.

egUjR8L.jpg

mT9iHey.jpgFfA5x2L.jpg

My latest SSTO, designed to assist in an extended Laythe surface exploration. It will deliver standardized containers from orbit to the surface of Laythe and act as crew transfer shuttle after the delivery missions are done. In its current state, it can reach 110 km circular Kerbin orbit with fuel left for rendezvous and docking. It still lacks a docking port, but some minor changes and tweaks are still to come anyways. The craft will be available for download soon(tm).

QxAC1at.jpg

1 hour ago, Exothermos said:

That's the kind of shape you don't see anymore with the new aero.  Very cool!

Thank you :). I was about to give up, as this is the first working design after 19 failed attempts. That moment when you notice, that it will really go to space is priceless.

I hope it will perform as good on Laythe. I havent been there for a year or more...

GG5hqMQ.png

85t cargo to orbit anyone?  It flies much like one would expect a '59 Cadillac to fly and I found myself at some rather extreme angles of attack in the upper atmosphere in the pursuit of not staying in the upper atmosphere.  However, unlike the '59 Cadillac, it did make it into orbit with it's rather pointless cargo.

On 11/20/2016 at 9:53 AM, Dobelong said:

Sometimes, I think SSTOs are too complicated...

4hJMPV8.png

I must confess I laughed at first, but this really is not a bad idea for quick and painless crew-to-orbit transit. :cool: