SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Well I take a break and I see so many "interesting" designs pop up.  Some of them are real works of art others are amazing feats of engineering.

But just to say... I still got it.  Who needs jets for an SSTO plane. 

8Do2B6m.jpg

And the nuke powered one...

eHdFaF6.jpg

And because my HARM industries wouldnt be complete without a combat craft.

xgApODW.jpg

All of which are built in FAR, with AJE, and have NO issues reaching 100km stable orbit. 

alFP9bn.jpg

I dabbled with FAR in the early days of my KSP learning curve and got put off.    Yesterday I installed the thing again  and  tried to make a supersonic aircraft with  non-widow making landing speeds.   I need to set up Infernal Robotics next and try a swing-wing config,  but this is my fixie -

20170320225115_1_zpslwgqmryu.jpg

20170321003732_1_zps3wspiqzh.jpg

I wasn't sure what the landing speed would be, and ended up overshooting the runway by a considerable margin.   That's about 120 knots in real money, which i suppose is reasonable for a supersonic jet.

There's two hardpoints under the wings.    I decided to hang a couple of NERVas under there,  and we ended up playing space invaders.   The nuke engines have their own parachutes and can be decoupled before landing, which makes life easier for Val.

20170321000057_1_zpsjivg6lee.jpg

On 3/20/2017 at 11:39 AM, eagle92lightning said:

Okay I downloaded this craft and every time I go to use it tilts backwards. Is there anyway I can fix it?

I designed it to lift an orange tank into orbit, changing the payload will affect the center of mass.  You will need to ensure the payload has the weight toward the front of the cargo bay.

- Jett

Edit:  I've posted an updated version of the Osiris HERE

Edited by Jett_Quasar

Here is something a little different:

lI1794v.png

"What, it's an ugly SSTO?" you say?  Indeed it is!  It is also an ISRU ship capable of a Grand Tour.

as9QBzG.png

aWVxwLG.png

Hauling all that "Plane" around makes for some complicated and dangerous planetary landings, not to mention inefficiencies.  This design has a trick up its sleeve.

aUgwPbj.png

The Little Plane has  4 thousand dV and full ISRU for visiting smaller bodies, while the big central lander body has a ton of fuel and decent TWR.  This allows for visiting everyone's favorite ship-smasher; Tylo!

NVqLw2J.png

This is a tylo landing where only 35 oxidizer remained.  That's a smile of anxious relief.  Margins have since been improved.

oxfAESN.png

The ship can return to kerbin in any configuration that is convenient.  The forward section can be refueled and used to return home by its self. (The tail ditched in orbit to act as a com relay or discarded once its' fuel is used up.  The lander can be a lonely probe on Eve, never to return.)

I'm still messing around with exact payloads; optimal electrical generation & batteries, antennae, probe cores, and RCS ballance...  This thing is complicated!  But, it will be released (with my other ISRU ship in development) soon.  I'm not going to beat around the bush here, this design involves A LOT of docking.  I had to refresh my skills quite a lot. F5 is your friend!

ubogzOB.png

Edited by Exothermos

Finally managed to design a working Panther Cargo SSTO. The payload capacity is a mere 650kg which is....excrementse, BUT IT loveING WORKS!

The Panthers seem to find their sweet spot at 400m/s and 25-30 degree pitch. Once at around 21-22km I fire the LV-T30 and then pitch it down slightly to reduce the AoA. It can get to 70km apoapsis just fine. As soon as I have to circulise, I have to use it at 1/3rd throttle, because the engine has to be angled and it's a half degree off (wouldn't be a problem if I could use finer increments to angle it). I think the fuel draining from the tanks changes the mass which is why it's fine until I have to circulise. Might mess about with transferring between the tanks, but it's still manageable all the same. Apart from that minor nuisance it works great!

9TvxRsv.jpg

Edited by Laughing Man

15 minutes ago, Laughing Man said:

Finally managed to design a working Panther Cargo SSTO. The payload capacity is a mere 650kg which is....excrementse, BUT IT loveING WORKS!

Nice looking craft! can you tell me which mod gives that hangar? I like that clean open look...

Hey thanks! It just uses the regular MK2 bay (short one) and a service bay with probe core to make more room for cargo. I think I might be able to up the capacity by messing with fuel ratios since it still had 435m/s delta/v remaining, but I'm not going to push it. Even adding a little extra weight prevents it from getting enough speed to make orbit.

Panthy

pA1L4cF.png

Minimalistic Panther-based stock career microSSTO with Mk1 pod.

Career tech level - Science160 (2 technologies required)
Crew - 1
Engines formula - 1P + 2Sp
tanks - 3
Summary parts - 19
Launch mass - 5.08 t
Propellant mass -  2.22 t
Launch cost - 7482 kerbucks
left DV on LKO = 20-40 m/s (soft deorbiting and landing close to KSC).

Imgur album:

Edited by Aerospacer
cost correct

Hello all!

I haven't posted for a while. In the past I've only made rockets but this time I decided to try my had at a heavy lift space plane. My design criteria were that it must be 100% stock, look reasonably elegant, be manually flyable, be fully re-useable, and that it carry a full orange tank to orbit. I am pleased with the result. Her name is Big Bird:

Most useless Panther + Nerv Liquid Fuel only contraption. Do what you will with this information. Oh and who needs wings when you can have winglets everywhere?!

1tYVg5A.png

I just had an obsession with a really light SSTO. That had to be Liquid Fuel only. With Panthers. Don't ask why. Flies really well, though! You could probably fly it better by ditching the unused Monopropellant and a little less aggressive ascent profile but either way, 700/ms delta-V left:

Spoiler

mEAxTYo.png

11.94t takeoff mass (7.94t dry), √ 29900, CoM and CoL nicely together:

Spoiler

Dry:

KrmDTu1.png

Wet:
7yWlpSt.png

EDIT:

The Evolution version has a clipped tank inside the cockpit and replaces the tail cones with nose cones and adapters. This one makes it to LKO with 1400m/s remaining, which is actually already starting to be useful.

Spoiler

92MPg4S.png

Design.

5rtqPm6.png

1.4k delta-V from LKO. It's a long burn with the Nerv.

Edited by MustaKotka

My latest SSTO, the Róta.  It has a 15° angle of attack built into the wing, which means at certain times in the flight the prograde vector is at a higher angle than the nose of the ship.  This makes it climb like an elevator under power, and gives it incredibly good low speed handling characteristics and a touchdown speed below 50m/s.  It carries no crew, but it had no problem putting a 36t payload into a 75km by 75km orbit.

7z9kWiq.png

tyACJx3.png

KebalX link

Edited by Thor Wotansen

On 3/26/2017 at 5:00 PM, __Ultimatum said:

My line of Mk3 SSTOs

Mk1

0694abbb2c2449ed838f3cc1f1bc8d29.png

Mk2

Mk3

4fa29a34ea3144428314b47292d1fa76.png

I like these two.. they look great. 

Not sure how they would handle in my install, with AJE and FAR.   But definitely something I may mimic and alter so it does work in my install.  Thank you for the inspiration. 

Junior-4

CkIaett.png
Light juno-based stock career SSTO-plane, made for sake of the pretty design.

Career tech level - Science90+  (need one science160 "Advanced Aerodynamics" technology).
Engines - 4J + 1Ter
Parts - 38
Launch mass - 8.646 t (SSTO mode) / 6.801 t (plane mode, LF only)
dV on LKO - 100-200 m/s (now 180 m/s, 72x73 km orbit).

Flight album:

Edited by Aerospacer
some numbers