SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

A very boring SSTO (intentionally) the Mainstay SR is the Station Resupply version, so it carries passengers and some cargo, there will be a solely cargo version as well, you guessed it the C variant. I am trying to make it as boring and predictable as possible because it is for daily use and not stunts. Easy and powerful to fly, 20 degree angle off the end of the runway, follow prograde after switching to closed cycle. She is no payload fraction challenger but gets the job done with as little fuss as possible. Altitude envelope is 70 - 150km with 3 crew, 16 passengers and up to 10t of cargo. Still testing to quash any little annoying atmo and vacuum performance niggles. Then the cargo version and release.

On 4/1/2017 at 2:33 PM, Jett_Quasar said:

Raider - SSTO

xsrOMIu.png

Download from Kerbal-X HERE

- Jett

Kerbal-X lies, that cockpit is not stock. Not that I'm complaining - I just want to know where you got it from and KX isn't telling me. :P

8 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

instead it looks like a Skylon.

I'm getting more of a "podracer" vibe with that cockpit placement.

Edited by Jarin

2 hours ago, Jarin said:

Kerbal-X lies, that cockpit is not stock. Not that I'm complaining - I just want to know where you got it from and KX isn't telling me. :P

I'm getting more of a "podracer" vibe with that cockpit placement.

It's an old stock cockpit, got replaced by the newer mk1, I think there is a mod to give you the old cockpit. The intakes are old too.

Edited by selfish_meme

9 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

It's an old stock cockpit, got replaced by the newer mk1, I think there is a mod to give you the old cockpit. The intakes are old too.

It was uploaded to Kerbal-X this month though, so it's not just an old screenshot. Thus why I was asking @Jett_Quasar where they got it, since the only mod I know that added the old cockpit back is long dead.

Edited by Jarin

10 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Looks familiar.  Still flying it in my 0.235 savegame.  First useful SSTO I built.  This was before lifting fuselages were a thing, I believe.
AprQmGv.png

New version - PlutoNiKa-2. Single-pantheric, single-nuke, oxidizer-free career SSTO.

B1Imtxg.png

Tech level = science300  (2 technologies required)
Launch mass = 14.67 t
Parts = 31
Engines: 1P + 1N
LKO dV = 2420 m/s.

Album:

Some improved version with 2 small liquid boosters.

YqdD2GU.png

dV on LKO = 2799 m/s. Now enouch for voyage to the Mun and back.

This is my first attempt at building a SSTO. I wasn't ready for how much of a pain it is to build one! The plane itself resembles Blackbird in real life. Since the main goal here was to build a plane that WORKS so outlandish designs would have to take a backseat for the time being.

Edited by JYNg

this is the first SSTO that I ever managed to get into orbit. it has one of the large MK II cargo bays, a MK II docking port, 2 rapiers, and 4 monoprop engines. the way I fly, it's able to get into a 100,000m orbit. I also have a version designed to ferry crew to the (planned) KOS (Kerbin Orbital Station, 200,000m orbit), made basically by replacing the cargo bay with a long MK II LF/O tank. shown here releasing the Traveller III satellite

Cdoiuox.png 

9 hours ago, Fellow314 said:

SSTO to the moon.  Well, sort of :)

Nice design, but I would call it a SSTMO (Single Stage To Mun Orbit) based on your pictures.

At least, in my opinion, it sounds better than Single Stage To Orbit To The Moon, that you called it. :P

8 hours ago, Val said:

Nice design, but I would call it a SSTMO (Single Stage To Mun Orbit) based on your pictures.

At least, in my opinion, it sounds better than Single Stage To Orbit To The Moon, that you called it. :P

Yeah, that sounds about right. :)

I know the lander will suffice for Duna and I think the ssto might be able to make Duna orbit and back.  Might need a refuel in orbit for the trip though, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Hello,

Work on my multi part space exploration ship is nearing completion. Some minor bugs left to correct and extensive tests to landing on Tylo are all that remain. I know the ship can reach and land on Moho as I have performed this test already. I know that it can also land on Tylo as I have tested from a cheat orbit to land just the Arrow (main lander ship). I will test and confim that this works also by reaching there from Kerbin, refueling at Duna, then Pol, then Tylo landing, just to be sure.

One of the bugs is that the tail touches the ground before the landing struts but this is just a minor adjustment. Fully capable of performing science, full RTG + fuel cell power (no solar panels), refueling.

I am also working on a guide with details on how to fly the ship correctly and example flights for Moho, Tylo and other difficult objects. While the ship starts as a separate space plane (Arrow) and a two part Bow-Archer rocket, the actual usable parts are the Arrow and the Bow, as the Archer is only a recoverable launch platform for reaching higher Kerbin suborbit.

The ship will be available soon. I will most likely create a separate post for it since it is neither a SSTO, nor a SSTA, but rather a DHIS (Dual Hybrid Interplanetary Ship)... Yes, I made that up. :P

Album is here: http://imgur.com/a/xBxy1

Edited by mystik

On 26/03/2017 at 8:43 PM, MustaKotka said:

Most useless Panther + Nerv Liquid Fuel only contraption. Do what you will with this information. Oh and who needs wings when you can have winglets everywhere?!

1tYVg5A.png

So this Panther thumper has evolved. Actually I'm naming it Panther Thumper from now on. Behold: Panther Thumper II

ArtklBD.png

It has several improved features:

• Consumes (and carries) less fuel
  • Seats an extra kerbal or instruments and solar panels
  • Has much better heat tolerance
  • Higher TWR
  • Lower drag
  • Lower weight
  • Even upfront cost is down by 4k (28k->24k) - provided that you land it near KSC your only cost is ~400 units of fuel (to LKO and back)
Spoiler

vLhfnAi.png

Here's how I get my Kerbals onboard. You could just put a probe core in it or drive the kerbals to the ship from the launch pad if you don't like my solution. Also yes, there's major clipping with the Nerv-Panther engine. The Nerv doesn't actually need to be tucked all the way into the fuel tank. There was a minor reason for this but I cannot remember what it was. Maybe moving it out forced the front canards to go across the 'cabin' 'doors'.

6HivBZL.png

To LKO with 500m/s delta-V remaining. I tried with the diverterless intake-tank but 200+80 fuel wasn't quite enough to LKO. I was somewhat able to reach 2000m/s+ so it might be possible with a different ascent profile. Still going to experiment some more in the hunt for the lightest SSTOs. Maybe with some luck I can actually get the diverterless intake-tank to work!

Speaking of flight profiles; the thing flies to 700m/s @7000m with dry mode on, then goes to 900m/s with wet and gains another 7k vertical until it's necessary to fire up the Nerv.

Liquid only, single "Panther" small mid-tech Mun capable SSTO (two NERVAs included), on orbit has almost 2800 m/s of dV. Probe equipped, can fly with scientist alone, full science pack is onboard.

W5l4pXF.jpg

I've been itching to post something here for weeks. :) 

Concept interplanetary SSTO with USI LS, no DeepFreeze, no jet engines, and room for a big rover. The Voyager M.

With consideration for USI's hab mechanic (although I don't use that myself so it's turned off), this ship is meant to only hold 8 crew at a time, and the Dark Drives enable high-energy transfers which means hab and food can be used more liberally and more crew can ride along at a time. OPT's 1.25m ARI-75 rocket engines make great lifters and have 940 Isp at 1 atm pressure, supporting the Dark Drives up to 18km where their TWR alone is sufficient to finish the ascent. The Voyager M is intended to travel to, and operate in not 1 but 2 atmospheres within the equivalent orbits of Eve and Dres, and in both of these any air-breathing engines are useless.

In Galileo's Planet Pack that means Niven and Gratian versus just Duna of the stock planets.

For landings in vacuum there's a Vector under the cockpit to control nose-up and nose-down. Also included is stock ISRU for Ore -> Fetilizer, Ore -> Fuel, and Karbonite for the Karbelectric generators to power the stock ISRU and prevent excessive use of the hidden nuclear reactors.

6cuGAKk.jpg

KHuMou7.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I may have reached the limits of my potato computer with this one.

Presenting the Borr ultra-heavy lift SSTO.  Capable of carrying 12960 liquid fuel and 15840 oxidizer to orbit as payload or hauling a similar weight of cargo slung between the fuselages, this mighty machine is a must have for any space program with plus sized ambitions.

Fep3uo8.png

KerbalX link

I made an SSTO for fun (I have made a couple before this) and it has a pretty high TWR, is agile and fun to fly and looks pretty nice in my opinion. This is posted elsewhere, and used as a K-prize challenge entry, but here is a picture of my STP-2B (Skylon Technologies Plane) in orbit: CPYoEy1.jpgI think it is all stock but I may have tweakscaled a docking port. The adapted version has extra food and solar panels for Kerbalism. I have tested translation, but not actual docking yet.

My first SSTO, the Starlight Dream

OLKwMb9.png

It's black body uses a special heat-resistant part. Common usage includes sending crews for space station/crew rotation, deploying small satellites or performing science activity on orbit

And here's my newest SSTO, Archangel (based from the one in Gundam) Still in testing phase, needs a few adjustments and adding several miscellaneous parts such as lights, additional reaction wheels, battery, etc.

cNy4gGa.png

Gonna have a long day :)

24 minutes ago, Skylon said:

That first SSTO is very cool and sleek. What mod is it? Kerbpaint? And are those stock wings? I think so

the mod is HRP (heat resistant part), it's an old mod for KSP 1.05, but still functional in current KSP. It's basically adds stock parts with heat resistant trait (black color), allowing it to withstand more heat than normal part (and looks cooler)

here's the link: https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/230254-heat-resistant-parts-hrp/2283145

Edited by ARS