SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I don't know about all this airbreathing, aerodynamic, aerospike, airplane, aero-whatever stuff.  This is more my style:

The HMS Sauron can go single stage straight to Mun (yes, those are Saturn V tanks):

IwfswBz.jpg

Ah yes, and it has to find ore and refuel itself:

ZH5ryiX.jpg

I don't have mining gear deployed currently, but there are 8 big ISRU's and solar panels, 16 drills, and bazillions of radiators and fuel cells.  The use of 100% vector/mammoth (no nukes, rhinos, airbreathers, or aerospikes) gives me a full TWR of at least 1.5 anywhere except Eve.  The highest ore I've ever found with regular settings and a 5-star Bill in the mk3 passenger module allowed me to refuel in a couple Kerbin days.  Ready to go to Duna!

KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/MunsterIII/HMS-Sauron

After being hit with several lawsuits concerning debris pollution, we were forced to cut back on the number of boosters we could jettison. Some opportunistic engineers at the SPH decided to take the main component of our standard three-man Gilly lander and put it in a modified Poseidon spacecraft.

X3oXeGD.png

• Current variant of the lander carrier in the SPH.
    • You'll see what's inside the cargo bay later.

GFLI4xc.png

• Congratulations, it's a lander
    • Delta-V: 3,475 m/s
    • Thrust: 60 kN
    • Mass: 24.933 tons

(DISCLAIMER: This picture shows the first prototype (has the Gigantor panels). Even so, the current variant could deploy the lander while in orbit with plenty of delta-V to spare)

The first prototype spun out of control after re-entry. I don't know if it was luck, skill, or by design, but I managed to regain control at 4 km above the surface. With some help from Lt_Duckweed, I redesigned the plane so that the NERVs would be on the wings rather than on the tail. His advice paid off well, and it would be put to the test later.

wdzRfU9.png

• I was coming in too hot and too fast for a direct landing at 0-9 KSC, so I had to turn around and land at 2-7 instead.

Dghn5dH.png

• MADE IT.

Guest Space Cowboy

Hey why has no Fhloston Shuttle been done yet?

<snip>
DwS5yBhWwAAOf7U.png
341b_845x485p.jpg
341a_845x485p.jpg

Edited by Geonovast
Let's not get carried away with font sizes, please.

Some of my older fleet models (front) and their better counterparts (back):

unknown.png

My favorite creation:

unknown.png

unknown.png

It has about 4,500 m/s dV in an 80x80 km orbit around Kerbin and has almost no thrust torque, which is why I love flying it so much. I've also got more images of the other planes in the fleet if anyone wants to see those.

Edited by TheWanderer05

Here's my latest -- career SSTO, fairly early, Making History parts, tier 1 tech only (haven't yet upgraded my science building). Power for the SSTO lifter stage is from twin Reliants. The pair makes orbit, the payload plane flies around the Mun, both re-enter and land separately. This is NOT the easiest or most efficient way to get to the Mun, but it works.

hgjjN53.png

x8KqdMz.png

On 3/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, Space Cowboy said:

Hey why has no Fhloston Shuttle been done yet?

341a_845x485p.jpg

I love that movie, but those big boxes on the wings kinda ruin the aesthetics for me.

Edited by Val
Too many pics

Guest Space Cowboy
3 hours ago, Val said:

I love that movie, but those big boxes on the wings kinda ruin the aesthetics for me.

Then fix it (?)

On 3/5/2020 at 10:12 PM, TheWanderer05 said:

It has about 4,500 m/s dV in an 80x80 km orbit around Kerbin

Impressive, but is that all you can do?

I built an SSTO that can carry another spaceplane to a 175-km orbit above Kerbin. I wanted a carrier because why waste your own fuel getting to LKO when someone else can do that for you.

• And no, I'm not talking about a shuttle rocket.

FK44sst.png

• Now that's what I call a spaceplane carrier.
    • The carrier only needs to get to LKO and back to the runway, while the spaceplane itself has 4,975 m/s of delta-V.

For more details, see my craft file for the Lazybird.

5 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Impressive, but is that all you can do?

I've made an attachment for the Stargazer that bolsters its range quite a bit. Instead of a carrier, I've made more of an auxiliary fuel tank with engines and wings. It uses its own supply of fuel and oxidizer in addition to a small portion of the Stargazer's maximum oxidizer supply to get up to orbit. Once the Stargazer has been deployed, the auxiliary craft uses RCS to return to the atmosphere and land. The final result: 6,455 m/s of dV.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'm still working out some minor things with this system, mainly how much oxidizer I need to leave in the Stargazer to spare myself from the longer burn times of only using the Nerv to circularize the orbit.

Edited by TheWanderer05

• 1 month later...

Mirazh SSTO ascend profile testing

Mirazh is my first career SSTO, capable of reaching LKO with 2500 dV while carrying up to 12 tourists onboard. Not designed to land anywhere but Kerbin, it is used, in fact, for Mun and Minmus flyby missions. Its ascend profile is somewhat complicated, as turbofans provide only 0.8-0.6 TWR even on subsonic speeds. This makes it necessary to fire NTRs early on, about 8000 m and 100 m/s. When I first made it to orbit, I was very surprized that there is enough fuel left to travel somewhere else.

Cvmdhwx.png

cBeVyZR.png

TvG86MR.png

U8TbHbi.png

8RhruHf.png

s7As6Vh.png

lHt2HVi.png

TXVpwnP.png

C5BkxHx.png

0xhfCFF.png

dVmveFz.png

• 1 month later...

Hey all, long time no see

Decided to try my hand at a cargo ssto (I know, super easy way to ease myself into the game after a year out right?). Back in the day I always wanted to do a liquid fuel-only Jool 5, so this was my draft at a lifter for assembling that:

Spoiler

QYhY77Y.jpg

This is the only time it got off the runway

So after that, I went back to the drawing board, and draft 2 made it all the way to ~25km... where it stayed, for like half an hour, until it ran out of fuel

Spoiler

b3bUVYq.jpg

vQtf3ux.jpg

faxJsIN.jpg

at least this run told me where I need more parachutes

6SHBS9o.jpg

I knew that making SSTOs was hard, but I suspect I'm also lacking more than a little in the piloting sense. Anyone have any pointers for LF-only spaceplanes?

Edited by Orky Kultur
typo

Here are my interplanetary cargo fully stock SSTOs. I have two but this is my first. It has 594 parts, and can carry a small space station anwhere in the kerbol system

2GYx5RJ.png

Here is a video of it delivering its cargo to duna orbit:

Unfortunately, this SSTO didn't carry nearly enough ccargo to be impressive for me so I decided to start work on one which can carry a large section of a huge space station to anywhere in the kerbin system.

lbN5EcQ.png

I can put out more pictures when I get them later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sp3Mlh7.png

Behold, the Hope Light Shuttle! This is a perfected version of what I submitted to the K-Prize challenge, which was also my first SSTO. Using a Whiplash and two NERVs, I can haul six crew and/or a small payload into LKO with 800m/s of dV to spare. Unfortunately, the design doesn't take well to being scaled up - past a certain point, the NERVs simply don't provide enough oomph to break through the upper atmosphere.

Edited by OutInSpace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 3:16 PM, Orky Kultur said:

Hey all, long time no see

Decided to try my hand at a cargo ssto (I know, super easy way to ease myself into the game after a year out right?). Back in the day I always wanted to do a liquid fuel-only Jool 5, so this was my draft at a lifter for assembling that:

Reveal hidden contents

QYhY77Y.jpg

This is the only time it got off the runway

So after that, I went back to the drawing board, and draft 2 made it all the way to ~25km... where it stayed, for like half an hour, until it ran out of fuel

Hide contents

b3bUVYq.jpg

vQtf3ux.jpg

faxJsIN.jpg

at least this run told me where I need more parachutes

6SHBS9o.jpg

I knew that making SSTOs was hard, but I suspect I'm also lacking more than a little in the piloting sense. Anyone have any pointers for LF-only spaceplanes?

I know one trick. But it's very cheaty. It involves stacking engine in a way where the thrust doesn't hurt each other, but has full thrust. it can also get out of hand very quickly. but if don't care you can reduce engine nodes quickly and change around parts for part count efficiency and possibly better aero etc.

Edited by Arugela