SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

After a failed probe landing on Duna, the crew of SVO-9 decided it was safer to land on Ike and mine for Kethane for the return trip to Kerbin.

ahr0.jpg

The crew of SVO-9, Commander Jedediah Kermin, Bill Kermin, and Bob Kermin

3rgo.jpg

There was a minor engineering over site in that the drills were mounted to high on the fuselage but this was not a major problem as they just lowered the nose gear to contact with the Ike soil.

This is my SSTO rocket (only) spaceplane. The Concept is all stock except for my fueled nose/ tail cones. It might work without the cones. The only other mod is MechJeb, which is handy for realtime TWR and delta V data. Sitting on the runway, its TWR is less than 1, but by the time it leaves the runway and is flying skyward, the TWR is greater than 1.

Specs & top view:

10539647915_716346516a_b.jpg

LKO:

10539639945_51cc2d137b_c.jpg

Belly of the beast:

10539859023_373f2b6d28_b.jpg

All that to get 0.18 t of Kerbal into orbit!

All right, i'll give a try to the other engines :) I'm always obsessed by ISP but this is right, on light SSTO, the most important is the weight.

Sea level ISP doesn't matter that much on space planes, becase you will engage the rocket engines at at around 20 km at least. At that point you're gonna get like 95% vacuum efficiency.

Rutan Long-EZ SSTO This thing is choice.

h70y.png

zduq.png

GypsyDanger Mk4 - Swing Wings. Will put 9 Kerbals into 100km orbit with 600+dv remaining.

Wings swept fully forward is reentry profile. You can see the wings flexing upwards as it enters atmos.

Wings can be swept between 180deg to keep handling neutral at any speed.

i5cj.png

kvgh.png

jwbo.png

54bd.png

My SSTO is Best SSTO á••( á› )á•—

Roughly based on a design I saw a few weeks ago... Thought I'd try the whole vibrating glitch and wow.. I was in orbit so fast..

It run out of fuel though xD

tumblr_mveuvmfKg21r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mveuvmfKg21r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mveuvmfKg21r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mveuvmfKg21r2k180o4_1280.jpg

So I made something smallish, and aggressive looking... I call it the A-1.

h8e8.jpg

3xhs.jpg

I have no clue how this thing works so well in FAR, I have asked Ferram if I have bug or glitch, but this thing should NOT fly. LOL Yet it goes mach 6.32 on jet engines with 2 intakes per engine at an altitude of 28km before I have to switch over to the rockets. And the rockets are the VTOL engines.

My SSTO is Best SSTO á••( á› )á•—

Roughly based on a design I saw a few weeks ago... Thought I'd try the whole vibrating glitch and wow.. I was in orbit so fast..

It run out of fuel though xD

tumblr_mveuvmfKg21r2k180o1_1280.jpg

Is this from Vaos's video? :D

Hehe ya it's pretty fun to do!

The ones I try to make usually explode :blush:

Mine was exploding as well xD

It goes so fast that it just exploded... I figured out if you stitch up the body internally it doesn't explode so easy~

I'm gonna try making one with an electric engine..

My accomplishment for the day:

ppElzUh.png

That's the latest iteration of my favorite SSTO spaceplane design, the Sleazy Weasel 4b, after landing on Mun. (It had an orbital refueling in LKO, since it doesn't have even close to enough fuel to get to Mun otherwise.) It wasn't until I got it into orbit that I realized I'd left off the big solar panels, to feed the ions (which I use mainly for minor orbital adjustments and any long burns), and the new springy legs are a problem, but other than that it's easy to use and a lot of fun to fly.

My accomplishment for the day:

ppElzUh.png

That's the latest iteration of my favorite SSTO spaceplane design, the Sleazy Weasel 4b, after landing on Mun. (It had an orbital refueling in LKO, since it doesn't have even close to enough fuel to get to Mun otherwise.) It wasn't until I got it into orbit that I realized I'd left off the big solar panels, to feed the ions (which I use mainly for minor orbital adjustments and any long burns), and the new springy legs are a problem, but other than that it's easy to use and a lot of fun to fly.

You could try rebuilding it but in a way that lets it land conventionally on it's main gear like it would at a runway?

If you put two of those small rockomax pointing downwards.. on either side of the craft along the center of weight... slow down as you would when coming in to land with your main rocket engines, then turn the craft so it is level with the belly of the craft to the ground.. then use the small rockets to come down softly and land.

Let me introduce you long range SSTO - Ikar. With whooping dV on low orbit - 8288, this craft can reach any target in Kerbin system and return pilot to home. Very stable and controllable in atmosphere from full to completely dry, you do not need to move fuel from one tank to another before dive in atmosphere. With heavy duty gears you can safely land to any body in system without damages and safely takeoff after landing (low takeoff speed full craft on Kerbin ~85m/s). You can make on this craft as minimum 6 travels to Kerbin orbit and back without refueling (I did it and can continue, but it so boring).

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Mesklin

You could try rebuilding it but in a way that lets it land conventionally on its main gear like it would at a runway?

I could, and plenty of people have done that on their own designs, but I've never liked the idea of adding a set of engines that can only be used when landing on airless bodies and are useless the rest of the time. The landing legs don't weigh much (each the same as one of those small Rockomax's), they allow me to use my LV-N as my primary braking mechanism (which lets me take advantage of the much higher ISP), and there's no issue with balancing vertical-lift engines around a shifting center of mass.

Besides, the legs are actually kind of useful, as emergency airbrakes.

Let me introduce you long range SSTO - Ikar. With whooping dV on low orbit - 8288, this craft can reach any target in Kerbin system and return pilot to home. Very stable and controllable in atmosphere from full to completely dry, you do not need to move fuel from one tank to another before dive in atmosphere. With heavy duty gears you can safely land to any body in system without damages and safely takeoff after landing (low takeoff speed full craft on Kerbin ~85m/s). You can make on this craft as minimum 6 travels to Kerbin orbit and back without refueling (I did it and can continue, but it so boring).

Interplanetary round-trip SSTO? Dayum! Very nice!

A rework of the good ol' Mystline I made about a year ago (Is it that long ago already?). I kept true to the looks but I did a complete rework under the hood. Now the craft is stable at all fuel levels and if you do it properly the craft is stable during high speed reentry. Also the range of the craft has been increased to a Laythe return craft.

Edited by Tembaco