SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

guys... GUYS!

I've stumbled across an important aerodynamic advancement! Why worry about changing CoM during flight... put it ALL over the CoM!

X6uhIBS.png

gPHyCRt.png

WBBjrDj.png

Yeah, thats a 74 x 76km orbit. Who cares if I didnt even build it with symetry on most of the time, and I had to shut off engines manually when 10G spins happened. After 45 minutes of wrestling, we have an SSTO. Maybe i should take a break. Things are getting... weird. :confused:

This is also done. It's a little SSTO Shuttle Orbiter. It will be released in an SSTO pack with similar projects.

YscjjjD.png

My First 5 designs.

Q3IWsZD.png

mtZ5nNI.png

KvjFKGe.png

pydy0Eh.png

wQXFlWx.png

Ec9a7c0.png

Would love hear some tips to make the next 5 better. I'm looking for advise on how to make really REALLY BIG SSTO's able to get to laythe without re-fueling, I've seen it done on youtube but haven't been unable to replicate yet mainly due to things like; sudden combustion, floppy wings and of course fuel depletion issues .:confused:

... Sorry I han't taken orbit pic for all .. what can I say , I'm lazy but trust me they all get there :cool:

Continuing from my previous post.. I was going to head to Dune after a re-fuel.. but decided to test re-entry with no re-fuel instead.. I changed pilots from Bill to Jebediah from the space station... because lets face it he can land anything..

And it worked~ All previous versions of this craft tumbled on re-entry xD

It was a little front heavy on re-entry, so I moved some fuel from the front tank to the rear and it was then perfect.

It needs a little bit of tweaking still, but I will share this SSTO once I have tweaked some things.

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n19hc1YgXH1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

This here is my very first successful SSTO. It's not much to look at, and it gets a 100x100 orbit with only about a hundred dV to spare, but it works :D

On the plus side, it also has a kethane drill, tanks, and processor in it's little storage bay, so once I've refueled it in orbit, it can expect to get back from anywhere it goes, so long as it lands on a kethane deposit.

hGlPT8m.jpg

Here's that cargobay. (Technically this is an earlier version of the ship shown above, but the cargobay remains the same, and this version couldn't make orbit :\ )

UeGTYiz.jpg

Edited by JDCollie

Just today i made my first SSTO that i'm actually proud of. It can get almost 1800m/s before it has to switch to the nuke. It seems it can get to Duna with no refueling in Kerbin orbit, but can probably make it to Laythe with refueling. I'll try it sometime, as i'm planning on building a Duna kethane base. It has about 3,800 m/s of delta-v left once in a 70km orbit. It flew well in FAR, so i'm pretty happy about that :D

I eventually called it the Apricot 1a, hopefully there will be more like it :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

After some modifications to my previous design, I've created an SSTO that can reach Kerbin escape on only air breathing engines using the FAR mod. the craft is mostly stock, just using intakes, landing gear and rcs thrusters from B9 pack.

Need for speed

screenshot30.png

Escape trajectory! Notice that no oxidizer has been expended

screenshot31.png

Sailing past the Mun

screenshot32-1.png

Speed Data

screenshot35.png

Edited by huggy

This isn't finished yet, but it's officially an SSTO now after making LKO and landing again on the airstrip :D It did this with the orange tank in the middle as a test payload.

The idea is to suspend payload in the middle with KAS. Unlike most other ssto's I've seen this would allow it to haul up things that were not specifically designed to be hauled by anything in particular. Once I finish it I might make a video of it or something, or at least post another screenshot here.

Oh and yes, this lands just fine, it's actually quite stable overall.

http://i.imgur.com/jeTIHlq.jpg

This...is...crazy...

It looks like a cross between the Wright Flyer and a Star Trek Drydock. Good work!

Huggy,

I love the look of that design. I really do, it has awesome lines, great job on that craft!

Thanks!

@Huggy Kerbin Escape using only Turbo Jets..... what the fudge..

I suspect that has something to do with the FAR mod. I read comments that it made building space planes more challenging, but it seems easier to me. although I have gotten a plane out to 150km or so using turbo jets in stock.

Edited by huggy

Thanks!

I suspect that has something to do with the FAR mod. I read comments that it made building space planes more challenging, but it seems easier to me. although I have gotten a plane out to 150km or so using turbo jets in stock.

There might be a fault with your KSP. Because FAR doesn't make it easier to get to orbit with a spaceplane. It just makes it logical.

If you just have one intake and 2 turbojets you should have ran out of air around 20-23km in FAR. I may have to duplicate your design and see if there is some kind of bug or something special.

There might be a fault with your KSP. Because FAR doesn't make it easier to get to orbit with a spaceplane. It just makes it logical.

If you just have one intake and 2 turbojets you should have ran out of air around 20-23km in FAR. I may have to duplicate your design and see if there is some kind of bug or something special.

I actually have about 32 of those circular air intakes clipped inside the sas, one intake on the top, and two smaller ones on the bottom. Oh and also 4 turbo jets.

Edited by huggy

SSTO Type 30 Mk1

I flew to the Mun without re-fueling… I’m not sure if it was the best choice… But I did it : U

I’m not sure if I should land or not, not sure if the fuel I have will be enough.

Here is the craft file for those that would like to try this SSTO for themselves » http://www./download/5l9r5adauculd5m/SSTO_Type_30_Ghost_Mk1.rar

Take note that the way I balanced the fuel draw to compensate the rear being heavy due to all the Turbo Jets, one half of the craft has more fuel than the other half. You can move fuel from the front tank to the rear if need be.

Also on Re-entry of Kerbin it might be nose heavy, again move fuel from the front to the rear.

This SSTO has 4 small rockets facing down, allowing you to land on low gravity planets, Like the Mun and Minmus.

You can only take off from the KSP runway conventionally, and it is prefered that you land back at the KSP runway, Low gravity planets you can take of vertically.

This SSTO uses Action Groups, check them before you fly~

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1cbyphdDj1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t

The 10E-1 Space and the 10E-1, which is just a plane, but I thought I'd put it here anyway :)

Hn6nzxr.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8sg8o9k0uiyyj6/10%20e%201%20Space%20NMJ.craft

2 - jet

3 - rockets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg1icdgak39xl8j/10%20E%201%20NMJ.craft

Edited by Fellow314