SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no post here! That can't be a thing, so, you know, in case you guys missed it because I pit it onto my repository:

On 9/2/2016 at 0:38 AM, Rune said:

You know? You are about one month late, but I guess on the way back to the Orient, Gaspar could have dropped the latest in SSTOs, the Orca.

iVisMin.png

Based very loosely on the Trident, it basically does everything that one did, but with twice the cargo bay space, more delta-v, and in fact enough oomph (and room) to lift a whole Big Red to orbit, or lift off from the water under Kerbin's gravity. So actually, quite a lot more! I think it's going to replace the Spatha too, it's that versatile...

Vo78EdB.png

I really wanted to re-test the maximum payload after some fuel tweaks, plus take it on a ride to Mun to make yet another base (yup, some minor redesigns there, too), but you kind of forced my hand with that comment, and I haven't released anything in ages. And what the heck, if it can VTOL on kerbin (partially empty of course!), I'm pretty sure belly-landing on the Mun or Duna will be no problem, it's got more dV and TWR than the Trident...

It's perfectly balanced on both axis of propulsion and it has powerful reaction wheels and RCS, but if you are towing stuff, you can tweak the horizontal CoT by tweaking the thrust in the wing-mounted engines, which is a nice touch I think. Makes it the perfect tug for base packs! All in all, a true rarity in my builds: a design where overkill is the word, and every area of performance has really fat margins. It even has a rather high wing loading! But don't worry, I didn't betray my low-part-count ideals: it does all that with just 80 parts, which is actually less than the Trident. Poor Trident, how little time have you been among us before being rendered obsolete... ;.;

So yeah, other than that, perhaps the ship album? It has many pics and I'll put more as I take them. :)

Rune. First KerbalX file, too.

2 hours ago, Ogcorp CEO said:

I built an SSTO fighter Based of the Project Duna Cobra in 1.0.5 :D

dl: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbp70lterjxqn3r/Cobra%20II.craft?dl=0

pic: http://imgur.com/a/KY99V

I still do not know how to find the album ID BTW it is a stock ship

Album id is the thing after "imgur.com/a/" in the URL.

In your case, it's KY99V

9 hours ago, Rune said:

Long time no post here! That can't be a thing, so, you know, in case you guys missed it because I pit it onto my repository:

So yeah, other than that, perhaps the ship album? It has many pics and I'll put more as I take them. :)

Rune. First KerbalX file, too.

The capsule annoys me, not because of the way it looks on your plane, which looks nice, but because I know you could use a mk3 cockpit and get more/better performance, dv, and crew

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

The capsule annoys me, not because of the way it looks on your plane, which looks nice, but because I know you could use a mk3 cockpit and get more/better performance, dv, and crew

Yup, that capsule really needs a stats rebalance. Still, it's a ~1mT hit at most, and this way this doesn't look like every other big plane. One of the two performance hits I took for aesthetic reasons. The other? Choosing VTOL engines with the same low Isp as the RAPIERs: it's low Isp as KSP engines go, but I didn't want the VTOL propulsion to be more efficient for in-space travel. The high gimbal helping you with landing unbalanced loads is just a happy byproduct.

Rune. The "shuttle cockpit" is for shuttles.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

The other? Choosing VTOL engines with the same low Isp as the RAPIERs: it's low Isp as KSP engines go, but I didn't want the VTOL propulsion to be more efficient for in-space travel.

I was wondering why you didn't go with aerospikes.

My contribution, a pure LF SSTO, the Thrush:

JU3sKUl.jpg

fmRdFwu.png

I haven't posted here in a while.

The cockpit is inside the nose cone, which opens and closes with the landing gear, so the pilots can see what they're doing during take-off and landing. The rest of the flight is on instruments.

It's powered by 8 Whiplash and 2 Skippers. It lifts one Orange Tank to 80 km, with 500+ m/s dV spare.

1 hour ago, WhiteKnuckle said:

@Val We need to see a IVA cockpit view on that one!

It's nothing special really.

1 hour ago, WhiteKnuckle said:

Also, I thought the cargobay ramp had really low heat tolerances?

2700/2700 like several other Mk3 parts. I've not noticed any unusual heating problems.

On 17/2/2016 at 3:54 AM, Triop said:

GrIF8ko.png

Nice one! My flavor of SSTO, simple yet beautiful. You think you could sneak some equipment there to make it do useful work?

Rune. Even if it is for astronaut rescues, that thing should be used.

Made a career friendly Single Stage Spaceplane, that only requires 3 tech level 6 nodes (160 science),

NVIu6oN.png

Takes 5 Kerbals. Has RCS and docking port, but no payload. SAS friendly balanced for ascent. Completely stable with no fuel during re-entry, but may need to pump fuel forward if deorbiting with leftover fuel.

Get your copy now at KerbalX.com (craft file:D

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been playing much lately as I'd lost "the bug".  I put some time into the game this weekend though, and I finally got the feel for the new aerodynamics model.  Oh, I have been reading endlessly about it and knew all the technical details, but really struggled with it for a long time, and dismissed it as too restrictive for the type of liberties I like to take in design.  I've learned to work with it finally; it is amazing how one day you will just develop a deftness that escapes you at first.

Anyway, here are 4 of the Mark 3 lifters I have nearly finalized.  Due to drag, most people's Mark 3 designs look pretty similar, and I guess mine are no exception.  There are, however, a ridiculous amount of nuanced little decisions in these simple looking designs.  Tiny changes in angle of attack and sweep of wing, intakes, and nosecones seem to have enormous effects on performance.  I have put many more hours into these designs than I ever did previously for such a meager output. 

I really admire some of the designs here that lift huge payload fractions on just a few engines.  That is not what you see here!  I am a very impatient player, so these designs focus on brute force and sweet handling characteristics and leave the efficiency to the engineer/magicians (Magicianeers?)  Also, I have taken a few liberties with less-than-ideal-parts-for-the-job in some areas for aesthetics.  If you see something glaringly stupid, you may safely assume it is because I had no idea it was stupid.  I still don't really know what I am doing anymore.  So please, let the feedback fly!