SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I continue to tinker with Mk 3 sized payload SSTOs.  This one is suuuuper easy to fly thanks to all the wing parts.  It's totally overbuilt, considering the payload fraction, but I was going for style on this one.

Edited by Exothermos

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that nobody uses this old topic anymore. Or I just killed it for good. 

But I choose death by Snu Snu, 4 rapiers and orange tank to LKO.

Craft file >>>HERE<<<

Ascent profile (empty): pitch 5° at take off, switch rapier's cycle at 24000m

Ascent profile (orange tank): pitch 4° at take off, switch rapiers at 24000m.

Action buttons in the craft description. 

Edited by Signo

Hi there,

this is my newest SSTO plane, the "Noonwraight". With four Rapiers and two nukes, it has 3000-ish delta-V left in LKO with a TWR of 0,37. It's not designed with a sizable cargo bay, but a small one can be installed instead of the passenger cabin. It might not be the most useful spaceplane, but I absolutely love the looks of it :)

lXoYsq4.png

753V0jH.png

Michal.don

Ive been messing about with the Rapier, looking to build a small, singled engined, piloted vessel that can transport 2 crew and dock with my station at 150km.

Ended up with this so far, as its using largely Mk 1 bits I called it the Slingshot  - She's a little light on fuel (K prize attempt ended with about 14 units of LF & Ox each in the tanks on landing)

A bigger, Mk 2 twin engined follow up which Im developing is the Arrow.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of it in the VAB

537EE58354802DA8DE89D8FE2715F9E892C4E654

And heres one entering the glide phase after re-entry

906AD97AC0284CD4FD72C8923104DF565E79CBA5

Where is your intake? Did you clip it on the rear node of your Rapier engine?

::Edit:: I tried your design, and made it into an 80x80 orbit with 818 m/s of delta-v left in the tanks. Even a 150x150 orbit left me with 710 m/s.

Edited by Speed_Kerman

2 hours ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Where is your intake? Did you clip it on the rear node of your Rapier engine?

::Edit:: I tried your design, and made it into an 80x80 orbit with 818 m/s of delta-v left in the tanks. Even a 150x150 orbit left me with 710 m/s.

Intakes are the little adjustable ramp intakes, mounted on the underside of the body. And the difference in Dv is probably down to the fact that Im an absolutely lousy aircraft pilot, and dont have much experience with spaceplanes :-) I can usually get about 500 Dv left in an 80x80 km orbit with this thing, but thats my best so far. Initial attempts got a 75x75 km with 250 ms left - so Im improving!

Try this for your flight plan:

Take off at just 10 degrees, and let it rise naturally as it flies. When you get to about 20,000 m, drop your nose back down to around 10 degrees. Push your apoapsis out to just over 80km and cut your engines. Create your maneuver node at about 10 seconds out from apoapsis and circularize.

I've been testing several variants of this airframe for a while now, this one seems pretty good so far.  With a refuel stop or two at my stations or bases, I can pretty easily cover all rescue, plant flag contracts and crew rotation in the LKO/Mun/Minmus area.  Built in abort 'chutes to save the crew cabins!

Edited by PointySideUp

Here ya go. Phoenix III or Duna Phoenix II (Duna Phoenix 1 was horrible) can get to Duna and back without refueling or using ISRU with around 300 m/s of DV left.

If you want to download it, I'm uploading it in my showcase post. That is in my signature and you can also find 2 other SSTOs that go to the Mun and Minimus in the same way. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Here ya go. Phoenix III or Duna Phoenix II (Duna Phoenix 1 was horrible) can get to Duna and back without refueling or using ISRU with around 300 m/s of DV left.

If you want to download it, I'm uploading it in my showcase post. That is in my signature and you can also find 2 other SSTOs that go to the Mun and Minimus in the same way. Thanks!

I will be watching for it! When you say (To Duna and Back) is that back to Kerbin's Surface with a landing on it's wheels?

11 minutes ago, castille7 said:

I will be watching for it! When you say (To Duna and Back) is that back to Kerbin's Surface with a landing on it's wheels?

From Kerbin's surface to Duna's surface and back to Kerbin's surface. And the download link is up now so go check it out!

49 minutes ago, castille7 said:

Sorry this should be on the Spacecraft Exchange WIP Thread

Omega 7 Project Update

Before revisiting Omega 7 I was working on a VTOL craft (Cyber) designed for Low Gravity Atmospheres using Vernor Engines for it's vertical lifting. It's been through lots of testing and still going through changes. So far it's reentry is doing well and the launcher is a little challenging but it can get the craft to a LKO Station with fuel remaining. The current progress made with this project is putting the Station in Orbit, Two Refueling Missions with (SpaceTech) and now it's first customer arrived for fuel. Next I plan to Undock from the Station and return to the Kerbin Space Center Runway. The ideal craft for docking would be an SSTO but I have yet to build one that can reach a LKO Station, maybe at a later date because these are very challenging to build :blush:.

I am always open for suggestions and good criticism and I don't hesitate to use them if I like them.

I would like to add that returning to the Kerbin Space Center after burning in from Space has got to be one of the most exciting things to do in KSP especially at night!

Oh...

4 hours ago, Firemetal said:

This looks eerily similar to something I've seen already...

Edited by Speed_Kerman

5 minutes ago, Speed_Kerman said:

This looks eerily similar to something I've seen already...

Did I mention that my SSTOs are all total rip offs? Also just because I did a six seat ssto to Duna and back, does that mean I am copying Matt Lowne? Also mine was more like Mark Thrimm's. Does it have to be original?

2 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Did I mention that my SSTOs are all total rip offs? Also just because I did a six seat ssto to Duna and back, does that mean I am copying Matt Lowne? Also mine was more like Mark Thrimm's. Does it have to be original?

Originality is often more appreciated, but that's just my own opinion. I admit that when I run out of ideas, I scour Youtube and other forums for inspiration and to get my creative juices flowing again. I did check your thread and see you admitting that your SSTOs were complete knock offs. I think, in some ways, a lot of users here copy other's designs when they run out of ideas.

5 hours ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Originality is often more appreciated, but that's just my own opinion. I admit that when I run out of ideas, I scour Youtube and other forums for inspiration and to get my creative juices flowing again. I did check your thread and see you admitting that your SSTOs were complete knock offs. I think, in some ways, a lot of users here copy other's designs when they run out of ideas.

Yes and no. There are only so many ways you can arrange several pieces and when you build a craft for a specific mission, they naturally will look very similar. Two SSTO designs, built for a round trip to Duna, carrying similar payloads and using same sets of engines, will look nearly identical. If you add more bits to a design, to make it your own, you're screwing up with the efficiency.

34 minutes ago, Zamolxes77 said:

Yes and no. There are only so many ways you can arrange several pieces and when you build a craft for a specific mission, they naturally will look very similar. Two SSTO designs, built for a round trip to Duna, carrying similar payloads and using same sets of engines, will look nearly identical. If you add more bits to a design, to make it your own, you're screwing up with the efficiency.

Well said mate.

16 hours ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Someone said once, "there is nothing new under the sun". He really wasn't that far off the mark.

In other news, testing SSTO shuttles is not only fun, it is also profitable. That lil' sat will pay over fifty times it's launch cost (~240k√ in two sat contracts vs ~5k√ in fuel)... Or the very expensive ISRU refinery that went up with it, plus 'a bit extra' for 'insurance' (~200k√ left over, and the bird is only ~80k√) . Just in case I break something!

6MmDsJC.png

Rune. And that is how you pay for a space program, on the shoulders of the telecom giants. Right? :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Rune said:

Someone said once, "there is nothing new under the sun".

You have, repeatedly. :sticktongue:

Personally I believe there are always new things to be had under the sun. You just have to think of them first Rune. :wink:

Cute looking SSTO BTW.

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Someone said once, "there is nothing new under the sun". He really wasn't that far off the mark.

In other news, testing SSTO shuttles is not only fun, it is also profitable. That lil' sat will pay over fifty times it's launch cost (~240k√ in two sat contracts vs ~5k√ in fuel)... Or the very expensive ISRU refinery that went up with it, plus 'a bit extra' for 'insurance' (~200k√ left over, and the bird is only ~80k√) . Just in case I break something!

6MmDsJC.png

Rune. And that is how you pay for a space program, on the shoulders of the telecom giants. Right? :rolleyes:

That looks really cool! Nice job!