SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

"Fuel hungry", I think, means that you are going through your dV budget, fast, but you get the same mileage. RAPIERs have 305 isp, so they are not THAT fuel hungry, and so on a short hop to LKO the extra... ~5-10s is it? isp of the aerospike can't be worth lugging its weight through the atmosphere. In fact, I suspect if anything is better than 100% RAPIERs it would be 25% turbos and 75% RAPIERs... but that's gonna be close. I'm talking payload fraction to LKO, where your dV budget is about 1,5km/s, obviously, if you want to go farther high isp is more important.

Now if you burn through all your LFO too fast, you probably have too much TWR. That is only inefficient in the sense that you could lug less engine mass with you, and achieve a greater payload ratio, and maybe if you go very shallow you are doing slightly higher drag losses. But other than that, taking less time to get to orbital speeds on chemical engines is always a good thing. So just put enough TWR to go supersonic, and no more, for the best results. My 25% payload fraction Longsword has 8xRAPIERs and 2x Turbojets for a takeoff weight of 140mT, if those numbers help you, and even though it struggles with the Mach barrier a bit, show me the one that improves on that carrying a Big Red to orbit.

Rune. Every extra engine you don't really need could be extra payload and/or fuel.

I've messed around with turbo/rapier builds. It's all a bit frustrating getting through the sound barrier which can double your effective flight time(out of warp). My Gemini below will pull up a big red plus mono tank with a payload fraction of less than 25%. I won't include cross ranging fuel as payload fraction because, design. If I was to go about improving ascent efficiency then I'd go for a mid-wing design with less intakes, that would improve balance and reduce drag. However, rear wing designs are great for re-entry.

Here's the typical switch-over point.

0RxJW3Q.jpg

And here's a nominal orbit result.

eBhSfZ0.jpg

With a mid wing design for drag reduction I think you can switch over at around 1460m/s at a height of 28km. That's pure speculation though. :)

I've messed around with turbo/rapier builds. It's all a bit frustrating getting through the sound barrier which can double your effective flight time(out of warp). My Gemini below will pull up a big red plus mono tank with a payload fraction of less than 25%. I won't include cross ranging fuel as payload fraction because, design. If I was to go about improving ascent efficiency then I'd go for a mid-wing design with less intakes, that would improve balance and reduce drag. However, rear wing designs are great for re-entry.

Here's the typical switch-over point.

http://i.imgur.com/0RxJW3Q.jpg

And here's a nominal orbit result.

http://i.imgur.com/eBhSfZ0.jpg

With a mid wing design for drag reduction I think you can switch over at around 1460m/s at a height of 28km. That's pure speculation though. :)

Wow I have to refine my ascents, I barely break 1,200m/s before chickening out of atmo scared of overheating. Ten again, that has about 60% more thrust than my Longsword, for a similar payload, and mine carries more LFO. Still, you make orbit with quite the higher margin... don't you mean your payload ratio is higher than 25%? As in, more than 25% of takeoff weight is naked payload? On the other hand, we do get similar oxidizer levels, and you clearly pack extra liquid fuel... (Pic for reference):

VRkrw3A.png

Rune. Credit where credit is due, that is some fine piloting, or I am underestimating the influence of TWR on airbreathers.

- - - Updated - - -

I now get my SSTO fine into orbit with enough fuel but I can't get the CoM right. The plane always wants to point up.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7736/18168857351_311df1e0cf_b.jpg2015-05-27_00016

You might have a thrust misalignment issue, KER has a nice reading in the VAB to check and correct that.

Edited by Rune

Finally got my SSTO to Minmus, where i have a mining train to refuel.

185A12725BC5EA99DD8EADB23574A328C331F922

And there is one more miner at Ike, so i can fly even further.

E2BC54E639108944E9DE81F34CFBF38181F6539A

Now i am at Duna. I only have enough fuel for DeltaV 2000m/s so i am collecting fuel from scraps (my outpost crashlanding) so i can get at least back to orbit where can my miner come for me to refuel again. I could probably place a miner at Duna as well, but im not planning to go there any more once i save the Kerbals from the outpost. Thats why the miner is at Ike, im planning to get this to Laythe and back. the SSTO costs about 230k so far.

Wow I have to refine my ascents, I barely break 1,200m/s before chickening out of atmo scared of overheating. Ten again, that has about 60% more thrust than my Longsword, for a similar payload, and mine carries more LFO. Still, you make orbit with quite the higher margin... don't you mean your payload ratio is higher than 25%? As in, more than 25% of takeoff weight is naked payload? On the other hand, we do get similar oxidizer levels, and you clearly pack extra liquid fuel...

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm still tweaking the fuel load with this on, trying to wring the most out of it. The payload has fallen to 23% but, it's a better plane for it. It sits on the runway at 172T with a 40T payload. However, I'm now getting to a 75km orbit with 5T of LF and 4T of O. That's the front tank at full LF and about two thirds O to spare. If you include say, eight of those tons of ranging fuel as payload then, you're looking at around 28% fraction.

I think TWR is important but, minimising drag is the key. The Gemini has only 4 control surfaces, placed in positions of low drag. That and the ascent style make all the difference. Have a bash, it basically dictates your ascent so it makes for a good trainer in the new aero. Here's the basic ascent profile.

1. Full throttle and keep pulling back on the stick till you're at 12km

2. Nose into your apoapsis till around 700m/s velocity

3. Pull back until you are around 15km and then nose straight into apoapsis again

4. As soon as your speed starts to slow close cycle and pull back

5. Raise your apoapsis to 10 degrees and nose straight into it for the last time

6. Cut throttle when your apogee is at 100km and coast for injection

De-orbit is simple. Pump all remaining fuel to the front, point directly into apoapsis and turn on the brakes. To land pump fuel to the rear and toggle on pitch control on the top airbrake.

Download Gemini

My Ranger program is getting back on its feet, at last.

pTt6cz5.png

OyGfXw5.png

It's a very low orbit with a tiny amount of fuel, but it's something to work with.

iT4H6fM.png

It uses the ingenious method of sticking nosecones to the back of the RAPIERs in order to majorly decrease drag. All the prior Rangers I tried under the new aero model failed to breach the sound barrier. This new Ranger just flies and flies and flies.

3e75LHk.png

All that's left is to tweak the design; add airbrakes, find some room for more fuel, that sort of stuff.

Well the thermal outline certainly leaves no reason to question what parts are clipped inside the fuselage :P

Yep xD I tried utilizing the design of a "belly-fuel" layout, so there's a partially clipped adaptorin there. Belly-fuel designs are very effective in balancing the CoM, like really :D other than that, there's not much clipping there.

- - - Updated - - -

A shock-cone intake covers the Mk1-Mk2 adapter because, in recent findings, they have actually less drag than nosecones :D

My first post and first large SSTO, all stock!

5mhaSKO.jpg

onRqw8p.jpg

PJrHQXV.jpg

There's some good info on SSTOs here and I'm learning a lot. Have any of you experimented with the "Rhino" engine. I went with it because of the high TWR and ISP. My ship is 198T and the payload is 45T. With the remaining fuel (about 10T) you get over 27% payload. I think one of you who knows more about SSTO design could optimize it much further.

Finally got fed up with trying to build turbo/rapier Mk3 SSTOs (I had something very similar to Rune's Longsword, but it was just too much of a pain to fly) so I decided to keep the rapiers for my light Mk2 designs and build something altogether more powerful for heavy lifting. Early days, but here's an ascent pic...

WcPKT3S.jpg

It's rocket only, with four QuizTech linear aerospikes on there plus an SSME for some off-the-pad heft. The SSME gets shut down once TWR climbs high enough as the aerospikes have much better isp. A lot of the fuel is in the wings, hence it being relatively stubby. I'm consistently getting it to orbit with 18 tonnes payload in my simulation save, but I've not quite nailed the landing yet - I've ditched in the sea a 10km of KSC, with a nice stable reentry, so it's just a matter of playing around with burn position a bit more.

Edited by SufficientAnonymity
EDIT: spelling, what dat? Also corrected payload capacity.

This one I likely won't release, on account of it being dirt simple to replicate. What you see is what you get, other than the forward tank being emptied of oxidizer, two hidden fuel lines running to the Terriers, and a couple of small ailerons on the front to give it awesome control authority. And the usual tweakables job, of course, like assigning the control surfaces. and action groups and stuff (tip for career: put the chemical engines on stage, and they will start and cutoff on the first spacebar, then you can have your airbreathing stuff on the same stage and, say, the abort action group, and you don't use more keys for your engine management other than spacebar for chemical engines and backspace for airbreathing stuff). It'll take a while to build speed, but it flies straight as an arrow.

dys3R1u.png

Rune. ~1k√ in fuel, and you can have a satellite contract or two done for upwards of 100k√ in payment for each one. >10000% ROI!

Edited by Rune

EXPERIMENTAL "SPACEGUPPY"

My wildest dreams come true with the new parts from KSP release 1.x

While looking for saving funds in careermode my chiefengineer build this:

eROrCMN.png

A MK2 drone core guids this crazy work of Bill Kerman, famous Kerbalnautveteran...

Despite all rumours that he has went completly nuts after a mysteryous incident with a crazy cow while mowing the lawn to the north of the KSC runway... it seems to fly and do its job.

NRjGFvj.png

Jebediah and all the other KSC crewmembers clapped with their hands as they witnessed the orbit insertion and release of a testpayload...

Valentina Kerman was hugging Bill and commentet: "Hey Bill, you are maybe nuts, but nuts are my prefered snack, and so are you my prefered engineer!"...

EXPERIMENTAL "SPACEGUPPY"

My wildest dreams come true with the new parts from KSP release 1.x

While looking for saving funds in careermode my chiefengineer build this:

http://i.imgur.com/eROrCMN.png

A MK2 drone core guids this crazy work of Bill Kerman, famous Kerbalnautveteran...

Despite all rumours that he has went completly nuts after a mysteryous incident with a crazy cow while mowing the lawn to the north of the KSC runway... it seems to fly and do its job.

http://i.imgur.com/NRjGFvj.png

Jebediah and all the other KSC crewmembers clapped with their hands as they witnessed the orbit insertion and release of a testpayload...

Valentina Kerman was hugging Bill and commentet: "Hey Bill, you are maybe nuts, but nuts are my prefered snack, and so are you my prefered engineer!"...

That is AWESOME :D

That is AWESOME :D

Hi Shifter20

I build anything in career, and i need a interplanetary LV-N Tug... up in space. Now i can do some big wide modules and assemble them in my orbitalstation.

I launched alot with rockets but its really to expensive, all the parts that go lost... anything counts.

This is a smaller "BABY SPACEGUPPY ", it has a mk2 crewcabin, two dockingports, and fewer engines than the other one.

On his back the LV-N Tug with two disposable Mk3 liquid fuel tanks attached, empty lifted...

I am going to Jool soon with two ships and two crews. But i still dont have the thermoelectric power supply...

Soon i am ready to go. Gonna make some landers and sience things with the other team, when one team gets in trouble, the other can maybe help.

ZMFFm1V.png

"Hey Doodock, what do you think, should Valentina captain the other team to Jool?"

"Hm Jeb... i dont know... maybe Enemy should assist her.. he has the most experience in deep space exploration... they make the sience there. You and me... we gonna make the hard stuff up there as allways. I hope we find a tough girl that wants to join us... the journey is gonna be boring without the gals... outch the ladder is hot!"

lqDfjrZ.png

Edited by Mikki

Got my first successful crew transfer SSTO operable today after a lot of fiddling about - I present the Hamilton Class SSTO (crew transfer variant).

Enough fuel to get into a stable 75x75 orbit, rendezvous with my station at 150k, deorbit and land at KSC - with some spare.

Small satellite variant next.

B2A06C20E94F8C076CB70281A46BA7020A151AB0

I've finished testing the Ranger NX-IIB, and it's fully certified for use now :D

dBXdp0Z.png

2 crew maximum, so it's not completely adequate for crew transfers. That isn't the purpose of the ship, though; I've got other vehicles to do that. No, the Ranger is meant for greater.

IFqOm0q.png

The certification test flight required it to perform a landing followed by a return to orbit, after having initially been refuelled in orbit (with appropriately reduced oxidiser levels similar/identical to the initial ascent). Effectively, it was a Laythe expedition scenario. The Ranger would undock from it's cruiser, land, and return to orbit.

The fuel margins are very tight on this vehicle; it needs to go in excess of 1300m/s at 20km if it's to reach orbit with a reasonable enough dV.

cusvoEB.png

The spaceplane was able to touch down at the runway, lift-off for a second time, and attain orbit again with enough fuel to return to the ground at the end of the mission. I was surprised to find it reached Kerbin orbit on the second ascent without a hitch.

6wa6BAo.png

With Laythe's smaller size, lesser gravity, and thinner atmosphere, the Ranger should hopefully work flawlessly out there. Of course, I can't really say for sure until I actually send one there, but it looks promising nevertheless :)

It's good to have my pride and joy back in service, even if it's more limited than in 0.90 :D

I just got my first meaningful payload to orbit today, in a Mk3 SSTO. It weighs just over 100 tons fueled and with a 10-ton payload; it's not an incredible payload fraction but I'm happy to get anything to space at this point.

3256168.jpg

3256169.jpg

This particular spaceplane has been outfitted with a refinery and several drills in the cargo bay; I plan on refueling in LKO, then hopping over to Minmus, refueling again, and then flying to Duna. It won't have enough fuel to return by itself after reaching Duna orbit, but I'm going to establish a mining base on Ike that will be able to resupply it.

ï ÿрþÑÂтþ ÑÂтþт тут þÑÂтðòûю ;)

Hi Shifter20

I build anything in career, and i need a interplanetary LV-N Tug... up in space. Now i can do some big wide modules and assemble them in my orbitalstation.

I launched alot with rockets but its really to expensive, all the parts that go lost... anything counts.

This is a smaller "BABY SPACEGUPPY ", it has a mk2 crewcabin, two dockingports, and fewer engines than the other one.

On his back the LV-N Tug with two disposable Mk3 liquid fuel tanks attached, empty lifted...

I am going to Jool soon with two ships and two crews. But i still dont have the thermoelectric power supply...

Soon i am ready to go. Gonna make some landers and sience things with the other team, when one team gets in trouble, the other can maybe help.

http://i.imgur.com/ZMFFm1V.png

"Hey Doodock, what do you think, should Valentina captain the other team to Jool?"

"Hm Jeb... i dont know... maybe Enemy should assist her.. he has the most experience in deep space exploration... they make the sience there. You and me... we gonna make the hard stuff up there as allways. I hope we find a tough girl that wants to join us... the journey is gonna be boring without the gals... outch the ladder is hot!"

http://i.imgur.com/lqDfjrZ.png

Are you ever up for releasing this? really cool idea :D