SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Actually, the TurboRAPIER used to work wonders in 0.90, but I doubt it's worth the effort now. See, before you would airhog until about 1,500-2,000m/s. Then you were already almost orbital and didn't need the RAPIERs high rocket thrust! So you saved powerplant weight by going with 50% RAPIERs (1.75mT each) and 50% turbojets (1.2mT). These days, tough? You'll be lucky to switch modes over 1,100m/s, and at that speed you still need considerable TWR to push your time to Apo back fast and minimize gravity losses.

That alone would be enough to make the TurboRAPIER not such a good idea anymore, but you have to add to that the fact that the RAPIER has a higher zero-thrust cutoff velocity: a ship with 100% RAPIERs will have higher TWR at top speed, and thus will be able to push it longer, faster, higher. Putting any other engine in there will just hurt your mass ratio, I think.

Rune. No, if you want to exploit the game, use the RAPIERs rear attachment node for drag-less intake area.

Hey speaking of T/W ratio and saving weight, are the pre-coolers worth it when making a space plane? do you need that much extra air? It seems that the rapiers die at some point no mater how much air i give them, so the extra drag might be hurting me more than helping?

Hey speaking of T/W ratio and saving weight, are the pre-coolers worth it when making a space plane? do you need that much extra air? It seems that the rapiers die at some point no mater how much air i give them, so the extra drag might be hurting me more than helping?

They also help with heating. They do in fact live up to their name as precoolers.

It's not that they give extra air, it's that they give drag-less air. As in, no front for that part. Meaning, also, you could put them behind one of the pointy cockpits and have an intake-less incredibly streamlined design that can break Mach with a very low TWR.

Rune. I've got to try one of those, actually.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

36B6Z9Y.png

9T5Htat.png

Just need to fine-tune the ascent profile (and maybe tweak the oxidizer levels a tad bit).

I also think that a rocket adapter (two on top of an SLS/Saturn V-esque rocket) might be in order as well, to allow for taking some to Laythe...

This one I likely won't release, on account of it being dirt simple to replicate. What you see is what you get, other than the forward tank being emptied of oxidizer, two hidden fuel lines running to the Terriers, and a couple of small ailerons on the front to give it awesome control authority. And the usual tweakables job, of course, like assigning the control surfaces. and action groups and stuff (tip for career: put the chemical engines on stage, and they will start and cutoff on the first spacebar, then you can have your airbreathing stuff on the same stage and, say, the abort action group, and you don't use more keys for your engine management other than spacebar for chemical engines and backspace for airbreathing stuff). It'll take a while to build speed, but it flies straight as an arrow.

http://i.imgur.com/dys3R1u.png

Rune. ~1k√ in fuel, and you can have a satellite contract or two done for upwards of 100k√ in payment for each one. >10000% ROI!

Hey, I was going to send this in a pm, but your inbox is full. :/

Howdy!

I was trawling through the SSTO showcase forum and saw your post here. Ever since 1.0 came out I've had real problems getting usuable SSTOs into orbit and emulated your plane as a benchmark (love the sleek design btw).

Part of the problem I'm having is I just have no idea what ascent profile to take. I flew your design up to 20km with no problems, dipping the nose throughout to gain speed and pitching at between 5-10 degrees once at 10km+. I can squeeze an apoapsis of 25km on the turbojet before switching to rockets. Once on rockets I pitch to about 25 degrees to get out of the atmo as quick as possible without losing too much speed. Thing is, I can only get this thing up to a suborbital trajectory of about 45km. :( Pathetic, I know.

I've put up the craft file here in case I've missed anything. Please help me Rune!

Regards,

-Laughing Man

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

http://i.imgur.com/36B6Z9Y.png

http://i.imgur.com/9T5Htat.png

Just need to fine-tune the ascent profile (and maybe tweak the oxidizer levels a tad bit).

I also think that a rocket adapter (two on top of an SLS/Saturn V-esque rocket) might be in order as well, to allow for taking some to Laythe...

Damn, that's the best looking Ranger replica I've seen around here, and it actually seems to fly in the new aero! Great work!

Damn, that's the best looking Ranger replica I've seen around here, and it actually seems to fly in the new aero! Great work!

Thanks!

0GWe6ym.png

wJkTiBc.png

oaM92Ph.png

I'll admit, I now know why the Rangers in the movie were launched via rocket from Earth: surface to LKO fuel margins are uber-tight! However, I also just tested it on Laythe...

It's most definitely overpowered for Laythe, since I easily broke the Mach wall at low altitude with level flight (at full throttle).

I'll likely have a release for it soon, sooner if I get lazy and don't finish an Endurance and pair of Landers first. :P

Hey, I was going to send this in a pm, but your inbox is full. :/

Hum... you might be pulling up too much, and/or not helping yourself with the 909's to keep the time to apoapsis over 30s (really, as high as it'll go while keeping a shallow angle of attack so your drag losses are minimal) when the turbojet starts losing thrust at about 18-20kms. But you know, just in case, check your inbox... ;)

Rune. Ugh, deleting messages. I hate doing that, what if I lose some wonderful little piece of forum history?

got some modified mods in there so I cant upload cause the craft will only work for me...come on its not that complicated. I just copied some other guys screenshot I had downloaded some time ago.it is as straight forward as it looks.

qYnyMkj.png

vuxnNDp.png

Very long range Cargo SSTO - new design - FAR tested - Small cross section area and weak Mach wave drag - Repackable Drag chute allowing aborted take from 140m/s in runway limits

From Kerbin without refueling you can load a 6T (or more) satellite and:

Establish a 90 km Kerbin orbit

Burn to Mun or Minmus and establish a 250 km orbit to launch a 6T satellite

Then land on Minmus or Mun and take off to a new orbit.

Return to Kerbin and land with good fuel reserves.

413533screenshot27.png

608773screenshot100.png

113446screenshot57.png

2015-06-13_00014.jpg

The ShuttleBot is a tiny (for an SSTO) pilotless, clean, single engine SSTO for ferrying four kerbals to or from orbit. Takes a bit of diving to get supersonic, but after that it accelerates through 20K and easily gets into orbit with 800 m/s Delta-V remaining.

Here it is if anyone wants to give it a try:

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/shareables/231611-shuttlebot

Hey, I got the sketchfab thingy working! This is my latest, a go-everywhere prospector carrying full extraction and sensor capabilities thanks to a really compact auxiliary satellite.

Rune. Apparently, this thing has enough legs to do a Grand Tour! (I am pending confirmation on that one)

Hey, I got the sketchfab thingy working! This is my latest, a go-everywhere prospector carrying full extraction and sensor capabilities thanks to a really compact auxiliary satellite.

[noparse][/noparse]

Rune. Apparently, this thing has enough legs to do a Grand Tour! (I am pending confirmation on that one)

"On a scale of one to clippy . . . " -DasValdez

"On a scale of one to clippy . . . " -DasValdez

Actually, very little. Sure, the roots of the wings are inside tanks. And I put the landing gear and the fuel lines out of sight. The only "cheaty" part is how I also sunk the precoolers at the both ends of the wing tanks, and the ore container that, while not protected by the bay because most of it is outside, would create a very unsightly bulge in the middle of the ship. Ok, and the drill is also tucked out of sight between the engines.... maybe a bit clippy after all. :blush:

But I'd say 5 out of ten at most, since all parts in the ship are clickable and no F12 was involved at any point. Also note that even though it's unnecessary since it has no collision mesh, I bothered to build an auxiliary satellite that clears everything in the bay so it looks good deploying the big dish.

Rune. Heck, clipping for something other than aesthetics is counter-productive now.

Strap-ons:

11220469_10103666692605453_651165060751271870_n.jpg?oh=657d185bc3a500e1c113bc6ee3c30392&oe=563213AB

Took 3 of them to get that plane to orbit (intended for duna, modded electric armospheric propulsion)

11401371_10103666692625413_814102572456981366_n.jpg?oh=f6745114e60ca0427685fa1fe2f16b29&oe=55EF3E1A

But that was able to take off horizontally.

I had a Duna Lander that I wanted to get to orbit too... wings for precision landings on duna, a VTOL tailsitter design with landing legs on the wingtips to make a stable base... couldn't manage a horizontal takeoff.

4 of the strap on SSTO's could get it to orbit:

11402390_10103669579435223_4404198240254229192_o.jpg

But they couldn't lift it vertically with a full fuel load... so I deviated from the SSTO paradigm, and added strap on RATO packs.

I did a vertical launch from the runway... those little RT-5 SRBs are great, they've got a short burn time, and are easy to recover.

I throttled up the rapiers to full power, then lit the RT-5s and pitched slightly forward, it was enough for my core stage to get to orbit.

All the discarded SRBs landed on the runway for 100% recovery:

11057974_10103669579530033_499678238987866084_n.jpg?oh=66713409fd88a7a6cdd125f2928e2b72&oe=55EE8D57

Its not quite SSTO... but its close enough that I can use that as a solution for my "Strap-On" SSTO program.

While it is an alternative to building multiple SSTOs of different sizes for different payloads... I'll still stick to using giant SSTOs for large payloads... because recovering >4 small SSTOs can quickly get boring. (for now I'm having fun releasing swarms of SSTOs from my payload)

That looks awesome Rune! I'd always just assumed that the scanners had collisions - and putting them inside something like a Mk2 cargo bay would only end badly when you turn them on. I guess I should have just tried it. :D

Also I've turned the ship every which way around in sketchfab and for the life of me, I can't see where you've hidden the drill! :confused:

I hope you release this one so we can try it out!

That looks awesome Rune! I'd always just assumed that the scanners had collisions - and putting them inside something like a Mk2 cargo bay would only end badly when you turn them on. I guess I should have just tried it. :D

Also I've turned the ship every which way around in sketchfab and for the life of me, I can't see where you've hidden the drill! :confused:

I hope you release this one so we can try it out!

Will do once I get a few more kms done with it! I still have to see how well it lands on the tail.

As far as scanners and collision meshes go, the survey one is pretty benign, the dish is not really there for the most part. However, the narrow band scanner has a mean one, especially when it starts rotating, so handle with care, you can't for example clip the two together into one super-scanner (I tried! :blush:). I still moved things around so visually, everything has a few cms of clearance when properly stowed on the bay, and the independent satellite allows me to survey in style, and take a negligible amount of weight less to the surface. Let's roleplay the sat is a communications link after it has done it's 30-second scan.

Oh and the drill is... not rendered :(. See where the quadcoupler clearly isn't there either? Well, there, between the RAPIERs and the Nervs, tilted 60º off the vertical so you can actually use it on both landing orientations, giving a ton of drag, but looking pretty slick, you can only see a tilted orange wall on the back between the engines when stowed, but it pokes the head below the lower RAPIER when extended.

Rune. Sketchfab and KSP still need some getting to know each other.

U sure this thing can go to minmus? It doesnt look like it can...but maybe im wrong. I want to make one that has some more room for error so im sure i can land back on the runway.

Hmmm, that much load to minimus, and you're better off with a rocket, the best an SSTO designed to haul tanks can do is in LKO, or so from designs I've seen. There are others such as this that have unlimited range in theory, so best make the best of both worlds for them if you want your SSTO :)

Note to SHiftER; Of course, there are SSTOs with a range to minimus, just not ones that can haul orange tanks ....