SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Hmmm, that much load to minimus, and you're better off with a rocket, the best an SSTO designed to haul tanks can do is in LKO, or so from designs I've seen. There are others such as this that have unlimited range in theory, so best make the best of both worlds for them if you want your SSTO :)

Note to SHiftER; Of course, there are SSTOs with a range to minimus, just not ones that can haul orange tanks ....

I thought wouldnt be possible, but there were ppl that said it was possible... I hope there exists one, because i really wanted to use spaceplanes to add tanks to my spacestations in the kerbin system.

Hey, what if the tanks were empty (except for a bit of RCS), would that be possible? Because im going to make a fuel transfersystem from the surface of minmus to minmus orbit, so my spacestation is always full. So i dont need the fuel to get there, just the tanks....

EDIT: if i make a REALLY big one, so that the mass percentage of my payload goes down, would it then be possible or would the partcount be a problem then?

I thought wouldnt be possible, but there were ppl that said it was possible... I hope there exists one, because i really wanted to use spaceplanes to add tanks to my spacestations in the kerbin system.

Hey, what if the tanks were empty (except for a bit of RCS), would that be possible? Because im going to make a fuel transfersystem from the surface of minmus to minmus orbit, so my spacestation is always full. So i dont need the fuel to get there, just the tanks....

EDIT: if i make a REALLY big one, so that the mass percentage of my payload goes down, would it then be possible or would the partcount be a problem then?

You know... the empty tanks might just work :D Okay, design plan : You can base off the dozens of mk3 SSTO Orange tank lifters, and all you need is an LV-N to have that efficiency kick, with empty tanks I'm sure there's a chance you can get an SSTO to minimus :D there is a considerable difference between a full and an empty tanks :D

About the really big one, well yes the rigidity and part count would be a problem. I'm pretty sure, with empty tanks, you won't need much of a large SSTO :D

Note to SHiftER; Of course! Empty tanks!

Galileo - junior brother of my last SSTO with unlimited range. Same possibilities, fully fueled dV with ore conversion to liquid fuel - ~5.4 km/s, can reach any body in Kerbol system, then land and return to orbit (except Tylo and Eve). Thanks Rune for inspiration.

http://i.imgur.com/1hPzsBDh.jpg

In 3D

Galileo by Mesklin on Sketchfab

Haha! That's awesome, the original source of inspiration gets inspired himself. :)

Rune. And you crammed science in there and everything!

1) shameless bump.

2) How's 1.0.3 treating SSTOs? Heating got totally overhauled to be a bit more merciful to planes (not to mention all aero parts getting heat tolerance buffs) and drag got shaved down. What's the improvements performance-wise?

Give us time, I'm at work!

Rune. Note to self: buy snacks before getting home, you are very much not spending time cooking today.

It's now easy to hit mach 5 on jets without burning up (as it should be). Jet engine Isp was halved, so you will need roughly twice as much jet fuel. I think drag was reduced, but so was thrust, so it's still reasonably hard to break the sound barrier.

It's now easy to hit mach 5 on jets without burning up (as it should be). Jet engine Isp was halved, so you will need roughly twice as much jet fuel.

To counter that, Mk1 LF tanks were buffed. They're no longer the red-headed stepchild; you don't need Mk2/3 parts for efficient LF tankage anymore.

Give us time, I'm at work!

Rune. Note to self: buy snacks before getting home, you are very much not spending time cooking today.

Ok, I am VERY happy with the first tests. Old SSTOs should work, since I just grabbed one with a very tight TWR, and it achieved better performance. And best of all? It felt very realistic! :) TWR at takeoff went down from 0.9 to 0.5 (!), but the decrease in drag more than offset things, allowing me to break the Mach barrier after a very shallow ascent (<20º AoA at all times), do a speed run at 5º to a hair-rising 1,100m/s at ~20kms without overheating anything (or even bringing up the temperature bar), and then a very long climb to orbit with the RAPIERs and the NERVAs giving all they've got, which isn't much in terms of thrust, but enough to keep my apo going up. I actually run out of oxidizer later (just as I finished circularizing!), with a few hundred m/s more in the tanks than it used to have. Pics or it didn't happen:

QczpJs1.png

What I found out, mostly, is that much lower TWR are doable, and not only that, also necessary since airbreather thrust got a big nerf (I'm all for it, BTW). Also, RAPIERs now give out significantly higher thrust at higher altitudes than turbojets: they both go out at about the same time, but the RAPIER will happily give you 200kN when the jet is struggling to go over 50. The reverse is true, at 10kms, RAPIERs were nothing to write home about, and at sea level they were plain anaemic. Short of like it was before, but more so. Hope you find these tidbits useful!

Rune. Yup, one of my most OP SSTOs is alive and well. :cool:

Edited by Rune

Ib68XGD.png

Shallow angles of attack are now the way to go. I've had designs hit 1400 m/s at ~17km without a single overheat bar showing. This particular version got to about 1370-odd before the RAPIERs packed it in.

Update: However, "leave it at (x angle of attack) and you're good" designs are not. Air-hogging is a must...

Edited by Kagame

Originally designed

GpgmkQV.jpg
, but it was too heavy for two rapiers under 1.0.2 so I wanted to see how it would handle under 1.0.4 stock aero.

In short, pretty good! Had to rip off the external lights because they're drag sources in stock, and load up more fuel mass, but Ocelot goes transonic in level flight at 12km, reaches LKO with a useful cargo and deorbits with a little LF left over for manoeuvres. Hard to do much about your heading above 10km, but handles very nicely nearer the ground - although that spare fuel is pretty necessary at that point. Landing was ridiculous - came in about 30 degrees, flared, bounced (twice), and finally came to a stop. Zero damage. FAR would not have approved :)

SkGpFfp.jpg

Well, I wasn't expecting good things to come from the yet-again revised aerodynamics, but...

The Ranger performs even better now. It can go supersonic at a 25o AoA before reaching 10km, and it can also hit ~1400ms-1 around 20km and still have a decent amount of fuel (for its size) once in orbit.

Hwo5NJi.png

I did notice that airbrakes aren't as effective at high altitude any more, but hey, not a problem.

626y10P.png

I even managed to land with fuel left over.

2zKVwoO.png

Yeah, tiny amount of fuel, but fuel nonetheless. For such a small SSTO, that's awesome :D

Laythe, here I come... eventually.

...Yeah, tiny amount of fuel, but fuel nonetheless. For such a small SSTO, that's awesome :D

Awesome design. I love tiny SSTOs. I bet it will perform even better with only a single R.A.P.I.E.R, but that shielded docking port at the back is so cool...

Good news everyone!

I was finally able to get a spaceplane to my station in 1.03/1.04. Meet the Weasel, 40 parts and 15.9 tons fully fueled. The weasel was specifically made to transport one kerbal fro and to, or to and fro (depends on the direction your heading) the KSC to a LKO station.

I made it in career mode and used a terrier/ turbo ramjet combo for propulsion. It might do even better with rapiers but I have not tested it.

kaFg07F.png?1

I just noticed that some of the preview pictures in the embedded album do not display. They work fine if you open the album in a second page for larger views.

Edited by Dr Farnsworth

Just finished this today. Took me weeks to build as it is my first fully completed SSTO. Its purpose is to dock with a space station in a 100 km orbit to refuel and go elsewhere. Uses 5 engines, 2 turbos, 2 rapiers, and 1 nuke. It gets to orbit extremely fast and doesn't require intense piloting. Named ORS-15.

ORS-15%20Space%20clipped_zpsvta9nwxm.png

QO-2%20Space_zps2pkcijnh.png

QO-2%20runway_zpssanitdop.png

QO-2%20runway%202_zpswqfvkznb.png