SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

On 11/1/2016 at 6:54 PM, chrisb2244 said:

I think there's a mod for 'true CoL' or something like that. Has anyone used it (and want to give opinions?)

Yep. I used it successfully at the recommendation of a forum user, to fix my gigantic, 120 tons payload SSTO. I spent days trying to make the damn thing fly properly, in the end I gave up and ask in the forums. Someone told me about the mod and I fixed my plane in 5 minutes.

This is the monster I'm talking about, on the pad, loaded with 120 tons of space station parts:

8c9255e14e5246d699d7e1419157586b.png

Edited by Zamolxes77

On 10/31/2016 at 7:12 PM, Exothermos said:

UOEwkk3.png

1) simple.  Unstable

2) move lift generating part closer to CoM.  Not much Better.

3) 5 degree pitch down on the part and push CoL further forward.  Same problem.

4) Go conventional to immediate success.

There were close to 10 other iterations before I gave up that I didn't bother to screenshot.  They would all SSTO easily, but if I messed up at all with the elevator it was instant disassembly. 

Do you still have 2 or 4? I am designing a cargo mover with ramp to and keep having issue.

Hello chaps,

here's a look at my first successful SSTO in 1.2 named the KS-11 Equinox:

Coming back through the atmosphere:

8PscZmb.jpg

Accelerating away from from the runway

FJw28Cy.jpg

On final to the runway:

hGZk8hZ.jpg

This (apart from my older Equinox which doesn't perform well in 1.2) is my first real SSTO. I've fiddled around with a few smaller designs, but I was building in too much payload and not enough fuel, so none of them really made it to a full orbit. The Equinox will be used as a High-speed passenger transport to tourist and research stations in low Kerbin orbit. I will admit I got the idea of the wing-tail configuration from XB-70A's post a few pages back, but I have long been a fan of the T-tail and have used it on other crafts as well.

Personally, I think it is excellent in the awesome factor! It looks and is fast. The swept delta wings and leading edge root extension along with the tall T-tail definitely make it my coolest planes yet. The large wing area gives it an excellent glide ratio. The Equinox is powered by 4 Rapiers mounted on 2 pairs of Mk.2 bi-couplers with 4 shock cone intakes, along with an ample supply of Monopropellant behind the 2 middle intakes. My next variant has seats for 10 Kerbals, and with the removal the payload bay I had originally placed on it gives it a bit more range. The center of gravity is a bit aft, which causes it to be a bit sluggish on the pitch control. The perfect center of lift allows me to still maintain full control even at under 70m/s, and I haven't cracked it up on landing yet! Every time I've made it back to the runway from orbit, albeit with a turn or two to lose altitude. It does tend to be a bit more tight on fuel supply then I had hoped. On my newer version, KS-12, I've put airbrakes on the tail cone to drop altitude fast, and the're at the perfect place to help it keep balance during re-entry as well. Also adding such "frivolities" as solar panels, ladders, RCS, etc. Once this WIP is finished, I should have a great tourist SSTO with an awesome factor to go with it!

Any thoughts and tips appreciated! Tell me what you guys think.

Working on a 6 Rapier Mk.3 payload machine now as well...

Edited by Jeb!

Decided to tackle the question of how to transport an orange tank or other equivalent cargo to Laythe and this is what I ended up with. Still somewhat of a work in progress though, haven't sorted out the CoM/CoL while empty and stuff.

PHOoswp.png

http://imgur.com/a/bTh3l

Asgard A2

370 tons 291 parts

18 rapiers, 5 whiplashes and 6 nervs

https://kerbalx.com/Korsakovski/Asgard-A2

On 11/8/2016 at 2:07 PM, mrmcp1 said:

Finally finished by big red to orbit ssto

QMwZXdm.png

I like the way you used wings to make a fairing over the intakes and engines. Out of curiosity, how high orbit can you get out of it and still make it back?

Edited by Jeb!

9 hours ago, Jeb! said:

I like the way you used wings to make a fairing over the intakes and engines. Out of curiosity, how high orbit can you get out of it and still make it back?

I got it into a 120km by 120km orbit with large amount of fuel left, don't know how much delta v it had left as I haven't installed kerbal engineer yet. Might give it a test later

ksgWyNA.png

Need an Orange tank to Laythe surface? (Stock)

• GTOW: 166.4 t
  • 7 RAPIERs
  • 4 LV-N
  • LKO TWR: 0.2
  • LKO dV: ~2400 m/s (36 t payload)

To launch it, build speed to 550 m/s at sea level, then hold 10° pitch above horizon, until AP >60 km. Activate LV-N at 18 km (AG1). Switch RAPIER mode at 22 km (AG2).

Craft

More pics

On the overlord and other like designs. Make sure the front of the engine pod connection, assuming connector parts, have caps going to nosecones even if it's hidden in the body. I learned this the hard way on my ship. Even if it's inside, but nothing covering it's node fully, it will still count as exposed and produce huge drag. Espcieally if it's a flat surface. Adding more connectors, leading to nose cones will get rid of this drastically improving drag. My drag was 2x the normal amount because of those, "exposed," internal structures. It also hides a nice bit of extra rocket fuel you can use to help get into orbit. This allows you to possibly change the rocket fuel tanks to liquid if you are using or need LF over rocket fuel or simply adds more rocket fuel to help the current design. You can also obviously reduce other tanks physically or via fuel adjustment if needed for weight.

Thinking about it, I wonder if that happens if it's attached to a radial mounting point. I'm assuming it would not produce extra drag...

Edited by Arugela

After having such great success with two rapier clusters I decided to go with three and this is what I ended up with.

Valhalla

Orange tank interplanetary SSTO with 4,6kms dV when in low Kerbin orbit

EHJaXVE.png

http://imgur.com/a/8yjYW

https://kerbalx.com/Korsakovski/Valhalla-R3

Although on hindsight you could just use an overlord to hoist up three times as much cargo and then dock it to a purpouse built interplanetary drive stage

Edited by Korsakovski

On 07/11/2016 at 5:47 PM, Jeb! said:

hGZk8hZ.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!

I will admit I got the idea of the wing-tail configuration from XB-70A's post a few pages back, but I have long been a fan of the T-tail and have used it on other crafts as well.

:) Such an honor, it's clearly the first time someone got inspiration from my work. The T-tails are so enjoyable in most conditions (until you're not in a dynamic stall or a spin). I still keep the PA-38 Tomahawk in my top 5 of personal experience to fly, she was so maneuvrable until you have enough energy and keep some speed on final. The Maddog family and my two flights on Cubana's Yak-42D as a passenger.

Working on a 6 Rapier Mk.3 payload machine now as well...

I used to work on a Mk.3 SSTO in a T-tail configuration too called Project Talos to reach Duna, but it was a complete failure. 6 R.A.P.I.E.R. were not enough, and 8 too greedy to achieve an orbit greater than 82x82 km. It appears that the positiv angled horizontal stabiliser does not insure enough lift for that heavy machine. Same with a negativ AoA I tried for a stable climb :

G5upMDp.png

om7HEEt.png

NHI7LeX.png

cquaUXQ.png

YnGI9a9.png

This game needs default sweepable wings that can be changed in flight!! 8) Or the ability to give any point a hinge and change it so anything can be made sweepable or many other things. A new function like that could do wonders to plane designs. It would fun making swept wings out of any wing we want.