SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I made a new SSTO but the craft file became corrupt *falls on floor crying*

Cheesus! you realize how many times that happened to my Mega-Comet??? It happens when I symmetrically copy parts that already have symmetrical parts on them! corruption guaranteed.

--

Now that I know how to fly.... I decided to take my old baby for a spin. To show it's full capabilities ;)

Astroliner:

-Carries 11 crew (3 pilots + 8 passengers)

-Can carry payload

-Know that problem when after emptying the fuel your CoM decides to take a hike??? Not here!!! This ship is PERFECTLY balanced!

Also... I'm right now sending a small Mobile Research Facility to Duna, on an Astroliner VI Venera:

I have added MOAR fuel.. I adjusted the tail control surfaces, now it's an excellent flier!

I still doubt it will work :I

Although, it looks super duper cool and is a pretty good heavy lifter!

0gx12XQ.png

EDIT!!!1:

The Venera has landed in the wilderness, with almost no fuel, and my game crashed (after I saved ;-))

When I re-opened the game the ship got back into space somehow... headed interstellar... :

DSYF8Pl.gif

I also learned how to make gifs out of videos lol xD

Yet another edit!!!

a video!

Edited by Overfloater
What's it to you >:[

That was really good.. I was most impressed by you grabbing that thing from Kerbin orbit before landing with it on the back of the craft...

How cool~ In the second one landing on Duna~!

Edited by KissSh0t

Dabbling a bit in microwave power. This is the first microwave antimatter power station heading off to Jool. 5 more will follow.

http://i.imgur.com/QYSSDh2.png

Should provide for a good amount of power with that 3.75m antimatter reactor and electric generator. The only maintenance will consist of occasionally refuelling a bit of UF4.

Solar stations around the sun will follow to better cover the inner planets.

Is this an SSTO Aircraft?

*edit*

Silly John Crichton is Silly.

xD

Edited by KissSh0t

Is this an SSTO Aircraft?

It's not, sorry...I'm a donkey and posted in the wrong thread.

If I replaced the plasma engine with a thermal turbojet, it would still be a good 35t too heavy.

Anyway, just to contribute...here's an antimatter SSTO (docked to my Alcubierre drive antimatter collector pod)...I use it as a Jool cruiser:

4MxdexY.png

Edited by John Crichton

Cheesus! you realize how many times that happened to my Mega-Comet??? It happens when I symmetrically copy parts that already have symmetrical parts on them! corruption guaranteed.

--

Now that I know how to fly.... I decided to take my old baby for a spin. To show it's full capabilities ;)

Astroliner:

-Carries 11 crew (3 pilots + 8 passengers)

-Can carry payload

-Know that problem when after emptying the fuel your CoM decides to take a hike??? Not here!!! This ship is PERFECTLY balanced!

http://youtu.be/NmfvsNFziF4

Also... I'm right now sending a small Mobile Research Facility to Duna, on an Astroliner VI Venera:

I have added MOAR fuel.. I adjusted the tail control surfaces, now it's an excellent flier!

I still doubt it will work :I

Although, it looks super duper cool and is a pretty good heavy lifter!

http://i.imgur.com/0gx12XQ.png

EDIT!!!1:

The Venera has landed in the wilderness, with almost no fuel, and my game crashed (after I saved ;-))

When I re-opened the game the ship got back into space somehow... headed interstellar... :

http://i.imgur.com/DSYF8Pl.gif

I also learned how to make gifs out of videos lol xD

Yet another edit!!!

a video!

http://youtu.be/iP0KMOKubss

FAST CLAP!!!

You have become one of the elite. I only know 1 other person who has build a payload carrying SSTO to Duna and Laythe and he had a 1000 part vessel to do so.

The only question I have is, how heavy was the payload that went to Duna?

I've given up trying to build a legitimate craft that can carry payloads without resorting to intake clipping/stacking AND no engine nacelles that feed oxygen from directly ported intakes. That's my ultimate goal is to build an SSTO that can carry payloads, and are built plausibly.

Ex: Fuel tanks = fuel tanks and nothing else is inside them.

No intake clipping (obviously) and no intake stacking

No airbreathing engines without nacelles.

No nacelle is without air intakes.

All air intakes must feed directly into the engine.

That's what I am trying to do right now..

Edited by TeeGee

AS II - Ultracompact

c0P0S3B842o774o2.png

This SSTO was designed to reach and even overcome the border of 4k delta-v reserve on low Kerbin orbit, using a popular configuration of a turbojet and two LV-909 engines. Built in a compact way and (practically) without clipping, it brings 4158m/s of d/v to orbit. Spaceplane is rather easy to control, has no COM offset, and is stable on all the way going to the apoapsis :cool:

R0L0f3V852k7W4Z3.png

B0108378w2e76465.png

FAST CLAP!!!

You have become one of the elite. I only know 1 other person who has build a payload carrying SSTO to Duna and Laythe and he had a 1000 part vessel to do so.

The only question I have is, how heavy was the payload that went to Duna?

I've given up trying to build a legitimate craft that can carry payloads without resorting to intake clipping/stacking AND no engine nacelles that feed oxygen from directly ported intakes. That's my ultimate goal is to build an SSTO that can carry payloads, and are built plausibly.

Ex: Fuel tanks = fuel tanks and nothing else is inside them.

No intake clipping (obviously) and no intake stacking

No airbreathing engines without nacelles.

No nacelle is without air intakes.

All air intakes must feed directly into the engine.

That's what I am trying to do right now..

I was going to say the same thing, so I'll piggyback on your comment. Awesome Job, Overfloater! Your Craft's tiny size (and i would assume lower part count) is the most impressive aspect.

TeeGee, if you accomplish all those goals, I think that would be just as impressive as payload to Duna. That's a tough nut to crack.

Okay, so my brief to myself was to get Jeb to the surface of Duna and back for under 20 tons.

This is the Pentaplane.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x8hgvxf63cumdz/Pentaplane%20NMJ.craft

2 - Jets

3 - Nuke

There are a lot of air intakes, it's very cheaty, so fly very high (32K +) and very fast on jets.

Landing on Duna is tricky. Very tricky...

Here was one of my older SSTO's from last year:

And yes, that is an Lv-N in the turbojet.

HbdNb63.png

pffy0wv.png

qZSbtdK.png

hieSweF.png

She makes 120km apoapsis on airbreather alone, circularizes with LV-N with tons of fuel to space.

NOTE: I kept the oxidizer and liquid fuel lower because one doesn't need soo much fuel to make orbit and do all ur orbital maneuvers. U can increase the fuel to full if you want, I just wanted to show u what this craft can do.

HUah9Ab.png

LEwIlQB.png

I also made an SSTO heavy lifter that can life 60 tons of weight on airbreathers. I won't post it as my own because it is heavily influenced by another persons creation, I just wanted to see if I could improve on his/her design.

Edited by TeeGee

New Parts!!

Spent 10 minutes putting this together and it went to the Mun and Back!

6QYpNTB.jpg

QTc3PbT.jpg

Will work on it later :)

Also see Steam Screenshots for my Space Station which was made from 100% reusable Rockets

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980444911/screenshots/?appid=220200#scrollTop=0

Edited by Judgementus

oFjTerI.png

A FAR SSTO Spaceplane with nuclear engines, MOAR POWER, 112 internal seats (no lawn chairs) runway-to-deep-space capability, up to 208 tonnes of fuel+oxidizer (tank capacity, most efficient value is marginally less), a fully single-stage design, and more accessible entrance points.

It is probably the highest crew capacity Stock+FAR SSTO in existence, and is almost certainly the highest crew-to-intersteller space capacity one.

Warning: not intended for redirecting asteroids, although considering it is more massive than many/most asteroids even after reaching orbit, and is full of explosives, our scientists have reassured us that asteroids will be more afraid of it than it is of them.

It was built before ARM, but it never took off properly until now. (thanks to the joint reinforcement/improvements introduced by Unity 4.3).

I will upload the craft later. I don't feel like fixing the controls just now... (I messed something up and trying to fix 20 pairs of RAPIERs and 22 pairs plus 1 individual of intakes is problematic)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The final version also has solar panels and 6 docking ports (sorry, no senior, bad for aerodynamics) as shown in a few of the screenshots.

Upon reaching orbit, it will have still well over 100 tonnes of fuel left. It also burns about that much getting there. I haven't tried landing it yet, but I'm guessing a KSC landing is a must and that the fuel should be near empty.

Looking forward to building a plane based on the massive new tanks and engines. the 380 Isp (fourth best liquid-fueled in stock, behind the aerospike, the LV-909 and the nuke) and >39 vacuum TWR (best in stock) for the Kerbodyne KR-2L engine makes it ideal for such applications.

The main problem is of course that we currently don't have any efficient way to provide a satisfactory number of jet engines to match such monsters. Even sticking them on cubic octagonal struts, one might possibly be able to fit about 7 without bad clipping into the same area. But this generates severe drag in FAR. The alternatives aren't much better, quad-adapters can attach only to 2.5 meter parts and take up awkwardly little space on 3.75. I guess putting a ring of orange tanks and quad-adapters around an S3-14400 might work.

http://i.imgur.com/oFjTerI.png

A FAR SSTO Spaceplane with nuclear engines, MOAR POWER, 112 internal seats (no lawn chairs) runway-to-deep-space capability, up to 208 tonnes of fuel+oxidizer (tank capacity, most efficient value is marginally less), a fully single-stage design, and more accessible entrance points.

It is probably the highest crew capacity Stock+FAR SSTO in existence, and is almost certainly the highest crew-to-intersteller space capacity one.

Warning: not intended for redirecting asteroids, although considering it is more massive than many/most asteroids even after reaching orbit, and is full of explosives, our scientists have reassured us that asteroids will be more afraid of it than it is of them.

It was built before ARM, but it never took off properly until now. (thanks to the joint reinforcement/improvements introduced by Unity 4.3).

I will upload the craft later. I don't feel like fixing the controls just now... (I messed something up and trying to fix 20 pairs of RAPIERs and 22 pairs plus 1 individual of intakes is problematic)

http://imgur.com/a/yOSFe

The final version also has solar panels and 6 docking ports (sorry, no senior, bad for aerodynamics) as shown in a few of the screenshots.

Upon reaching orbit, it will have still well over 100 tonnes of fuel left. It also burns about that much getting there. I haven't tried landing it yet, but I'm guessing a KSC landing is a must and that the fuel should be near empty.

Looking forward to building a plane based on the massive new tanks and engines. the 380 Isp (fourth best liquid-fueled in stock, behind the aerospike, the LV-909 and the nuke) and >39 vacuum TWR (best in stock) for the Kerbodyne KR-2L engine makes it ideal for such applications.

The main problem is of course that we currently don't have any efficient way to provide a satisfactory number of jet engines to match such monsters. Even sticking them on cubic octagonal struts, one might possibly be able to fit about 7 without bad clipping into the same area. But this generates severe drag in FAR. The alternatives aren't much better, quad-adapters can attach only to 2.5 meter parts and take up awkwardly little space on 3.75. I guess putting a ring of orange tanks and quad-adapters around an S3-14400 might work.

Fourty-four engines. YOU ARE MAD! MAAAAAAD!!!!