[PLUGIN, PARTS, Development] [0.20+][0.21+] tek Industries Science v0.4.1

tek_604

tek Industries Science 0.4.1

by tek604 (code) and King Jareth (parts)

"Moar science" -- Scotius Kerman

This is a plugin for science, including parts. Finally, we have a reason to go somewhere, get something, analyse it in situ, or bring it back to Kerbin!

Currently, it is a work in progress, and this version is more of a proof of concept release. Future features may or may not include:

* New parts & textures (any modellers who wish to help, feel free to message me)

* Digging arm

* Drills

* Integration with RemoteTech

* And much much more... :wink:

(Open github issues)

At this point, I should thank various people for their help & inspiration:

* Lando for his part generator (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25061-Part-generator-Version-2-X-release-open-beta)

* Majiir for his Kethane mod, which pointed the way

* JDP for his RemoteTech mod, which provided me with a reason to get this started

* r4m0n for MechJeb... because that's just awesome work, and got me addicted to mods

* nobody44 for his work on Mission Controller

* Scotius for his enthusiasm!

Download:

Dropbox: tekIndustriesScience_0_4_0.zip (0.20.x compatible)

Dropbox: tekIndustriesScience_0_4_1.zip (0.21.x compatible)

Source: github.com

Installation:

Decompress the archive, and place the tek604 folder in ...\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

If you are updating to the latest version, simply delete the tek604 folder before installing the new version.

Licensing

88x31.png

tekIndustriesScience by tek_604 is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Based on a work at https://github.com/tek604/tekIndustriesScience/.

Description

This plugin allows you to collect a rock, liquid or atmospheric sample from any body in the Kerbol system. In order to collect a sample, your spacecraft must have successfully landed (rocks/atmosphere), or splashed (liquids/atmosphere), or be aerobraking (atmosphere) - just remember to use the correct instrument! If you are in flight (in a vacuum), or trying to use the wrong instrument for the job, then all you will be doing is draining your batteries. :D

To collect a sample:

1) Add part to your spacecraft - parts can be found under Science

2) Fly to your body of choice

3a) Land or splash on the body!

3b) Or fly through its atmosphere during aerobraking!

4) Activate the part

5a) Unmanned analysis: use all 5 ovens to complete the mission.

5b) Manned analysis: collect 100 units of a resource, and analyse it. Remember to have a Kerbal onboard at all times!

5ci) Sample return: collect 100 units of a resource, and land/splash on Kerbin to complete the mission.

5cii) Sample return: collect 100 units of a resource, and dock with an orbital laboratory for analysis!

VERSION HISTORY

Version 0.4.1

- Resolved Issue #41 (Licensing!)

- Resolved Issue #46 (Compile against KSP 0.21.1)

Version 0.4.0

- Resolved Issue #33 (Orbital laboratory)

- Resolved Issue #35 (MannedSampleAnalysis: Error Kerbin should not disable all buttons)

- Resolved Issue #43 (Remove "Disable Analysis" buttons)

Version 0.3.1

- Resolved Issue #30 (Code Review)

- Resolved Issue #36 (SampleAnalysis: power usage does not drop after analysis finished)

Version 0.3 (note the project changed repositories)

- Resolved Issue #5 (Robotic gas chromatograh vs. manned)

- Resolved Issue #12 (Simpify the collectable resources)

- Resolved Issue #13 (Remove Kerbin resources)

- Resolved Issue #16 (Add payload origin to GUI)

Version 0.2.1

- Resolved Issue #18 (Parts overhaul)

Version 0.2

- Resolved Issue #2 (Split boxes in a more sensible way)

- Resolved Issue #11 (Implement gas resources)

- Resolved Issue #12 (Jool atmosphere sampling)

- Resolved Issue #13 (Different resource types should have different densities)

- Resolved Issue #14 (Different resource samplers should be a different size)

Version 0.1.1

- Resolved Issue #5 (Allow only one rock sample type to be collected)

- Resolved Issue #7 (Implement liquid resources)

Version 0.1

- Initial Release

- Proof of concept

Here are some pretty pictures:

The parts as they appear in the VAB. (http://i.imgur.com/SpS3X2b.png).

SpS3X2b.png

Completing an unmanned Eve Atmosphere sample analysis (http://i.imgur.com/8ro3ltk.png).

8ro3ltk.png

Completing a manned Eve Atmosphere sample analysis (http://i.imgur.com/2c1p4RT.png).

2c1p4RT.png

Completing a sample return mission (http://i.imgur.com/faX7CjQ.png).

faX7CjQ.png

Completing an orbital laboratory analysis (http://i.imgur.com/u8eCy34.png).

u8eCy34.png

Edited by tek_604
Release of 0.4.1! Added new license!

Nice. Would be great if such function could be added to EVA. I'd gladly use it for role-play: walk close to an interesting rock, right click on a Kerbal, activate it and for a minute or so pretend little guy is swinging his pickaxe :D

I certainly want sample return missions and I suspect many others do. You need real models for all of these things, but I guess that's a start.

Why only when landed and not splashed down, though? What if I want a sample from the Eve oceans to see if they really are rocket fuel, as the rumour says? What if I want a sample from Laythe's ocean to see if the water is safe to use?

Nice. Would be great if such function could be added to EVA.

I'm not sure if we can add things to EVA. I've seen some people asking the question, just not sure if it ever got answered. But, you're right, would be cool.

You need real models for all of these things, but I guess that's a start. Why only when landed and not splashed down, though?

Sure, I need new models. I'm not in any way at all, no sir, not an artist. I got a PM from someone last night, and I would like to have some nice models. We shall see what the future brings!

As to why only when landed... Currently, I've only implemented Rock-type resources, and indeed had the idea of implementing liquid resources for exactly this. Just not got round to it for this proof-of-concept. Thanks for reminding me though, because I'd actually forgotten to write a note, and now I'll go and add it on the github tracker.

Edit: Implement liquid resources

Note to anyone else, if you have any feature ideas, and want them documented, then feel free to go to the github repository listed in the first post, and add your ideas there too :)

Edited by tek_604
Added link for github issue

I'm not sure if we can add things to EVA. I've seen some people asking the question, just not sure if it ever got answered. But, you're right, would be cool.

Actually, we can add things to EVA pretty easily these days, as long as they don't involve creating new animations for kerbal bodies. Kerbal Attachment System involves kerbals carrying objects on their backs, and for this KospY has a general purpose module that one can also add to other parts without using the rest of KAS -- in fact, people have been using this module to allow EVA repairs by moving parts between ships.

You could use it to carry around a model that extends a drill down and voila, EVA going around taking samples.

What Mihara wrote :D KAS is great this way. One suggestion: if you'd make a portable model for kerbals, you should put a limit of gathered samples on it. 10 for example. Then you'd have to return to capsule, offload samples and go for more. It could also work with liquids: kerbonaut would simply waddle into the drink and pump some of it to the container. It could be workaround to "non-splashed" condition. Simply land near shoreline and go for samples on foot or rover.

Thanks guys! I've raised this as an issue on github here.

I was planning on playing some KSP today, but, I think I'll have a crack at implementing liquid samples.

Edit: while I'm here, is the download working from dropbox?

Edited by tek_604
Need to know if dropbox is working!

This is brilliant. Exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you

Scoops for gas samples from the sun/jool? Just a thought. Could be converted to make fuel also! Mun rock could be mixed with an onboard tank of resin to make flat even landing pads on the Mun! this addon has massive potential.

Do the samples add mass? Some rock types could be insanely heavy:)

Edited by angusmcbeth

Check the list of planned features angusmcbeth. Increased mass is there :) Gas pump is actually a good idea. Though for getting samples from Jool, Eve and Kerbol i would use probes, not manned ships :wink: If they could relay data to manned vessel before they got destroyed...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Check the list of planned features angusmcbeth. Increased mass is there :) Gas pump is actually a good idea. Though for getting samples from Jool, Eve and Kerbol i would use probes, not manned ships :wink: If they could relay data to manned vessel before they got destroyed...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Nice! It would be truly terrifying to return from the low gravity of minimus (or somewhere) only to find that your 1 man 1 meter lander weighs 64 tons!!!!

Scoops for gas samples from the sun/jool? Just a thought.

Gas sampling has now been added to the github tracker. Will probably be the next feature to be added... but... The first version will be for atmospheric sampling, from a lander. I have added a Jool/Sun ramscoop as a potential feature also.

Could be converted to make fuel also!

This isn't what this mod is for. This mod is for science, not engineering. Take a look at the Kethane mod though, maybe they can implement Kethane extraction from a ramscoop.

Do the samples add mass?

Yes. This surprised me a little, I didn't realise the engine automatically works it out from the density & amount values. Guess it makes sense.

Some rock types could be insanely heavy:)

I plan to investigate the density values for the different rock types for each planet, and adjusting the density values accordingly. This might also change if the sample is dug or scooped. We'll see.

As I work in planetary science, I'll be trying to get my colleagues to come up with some ideas for rocks, especially as I plan on adding a gas chromatograph part in the future, with output graphs. :cool:

Nice! It would be truly terrifying to return from the low gravity of minimus (or somewhere) only to find that your 1 man 1 meter lander weighs 64 tons!!!!

At the moment, this could be possible haha I have no idea on the effect just yet to be honest. But thats what the github bug tracker is for.

Great looking mod. I would test it out but I havent had my computer back for a month, and Its looking like it may take many weeks still. On a happier note, I threw together a quick sample container model.

27xm5jr.png

It has a simple open/close animation. Take it or leave it, you could use it to store extra samples, or couple it with a robotic arm. I will Improve it if you use it, and I cant do any texturing on this computer.(Blender doesnt like UV unwrap + 10 year old notebook.) I was going to start on a robotic arm, but I'm going to the waterpark today(WooHoo) so maybe no time.

Well, I've got a 0.2 release of the mod ready to go, but, I can't access github now (it died a couple of minutes ago). So, I'm waiting for it to come back before I post a new version.

Just to whet any appetites, it fixes 5 issues, including atmospheric sampling :cool:

OK, I decided to upload 0.2 to my dropbox, as I am sick of waiting for github, and want people to use the new version.

This version replaces all the old parts, so, if you are updating from 0.1/0.1.1, please remove it first. The parts with these version were "cheaty". A little more "realistic" now (guess it depends on your definition of realistic!).

Ah, finally, github is up again.

Excellent! Can't wait to try it on a field trip :) Too bad we can't get any "real" data from samples - at least for now. I would love to find what Laythe's atmosphere is made of.

We do know it contains oxygen -- jets work there. :) Just how exactly did oxygen and water came about when it's so close to Jool is kind of unclear, though.

So a bit like this? :

<image snipped>

Because its just the other one chopped in half Its not got much room in It, but I will try and re-model a new one.

This is a great design! Can you produce different sizes? I just implemented different densities for the different resources, so I need 3 sizes:

1) Rock, 0.5t per 100 units - 1m x 1m size

2) Liquid, 0.2t per 100 units - 50cm x 50cm

3) Atmosphere. 0.1t per 100 units - 20cm x 20cm

Roughly... These sizes are probably not very realistic, but they look ok in game. But, if you have any other ideas, then let me know.

We do know it contains oxygen -- jets work there. :) Just how exactly did oxygen and water came about when it's so close to Jool is kind of unclear, though.

Do we know this? Its only been speculated as far as I know... As soon as someone actually performs a sample analysis, we don't really know :sticktongue:

How about tanks for atmo storage:

z4f4n.png

Oh and also I cannot import the models through the whole unity process to turn them into .mbm's. So only .3ds, .dae, or whatever generic model format blender can do. I may be able to get unity working through wine...

Do we know this? Its only been speculated as far as I know... As soon as someone actually performs a sample analysis, we don't really know :sticktongue:

Do we know that jets work on Laythe? Yes, definitely, people go to Laythe in spaceplanes with jets all the time, land and come back. Just about the most ingenious design I saw was a tiny spaceplane using ion drives for interplanetary burns. Without jets, it would never be able to take off from Laythe on ions alone. :)

Jets only work in atmospheres containing oxygen, since otherwise the resource IntakeAir would not be present, ergo, Laythe's atmosphere contains oxygen. :)

How about tanks for atmo storage:

<image snipped>

Oh and also I cannot import the models through the whole unity process to turn them into .mbm's. So only .3ds, .dae, or whatever generic model format blender can do. I may be able to get unity working through wine...

Love the idea for the atmospheric sampler! As for turning into mbms... Well, my current parts are using .dae, so that should be fine. I have installed Unity myself, so, if need be, I can do that work (at least in theory!).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.