[PLUGIN, PARTS, Development] [0.20+][0.21+] tek Industries Science v0.4.1

tek_604

not all plugins will work right with the ingame reload. when using ironcross if i did ingame reload database it would cause teh pars to lose it till i ddi full game restart

That's correct. However, in-game reload does at least cut back significantly on the number of complete restarts.

Another option would be to have a separate KSP install stripped of nearly all its parts except the ones you need for testing (plus Hyperedit to get your mod parts to distant locations).

I just discovered this awesome mod, and read the whole thread.

Very ambitious project Tek! I'm going to be installing this soon into my .20 based Kethane + Remotetech +ioncross + EPLaunchpads installation and testing it out.

Are you still interested in .20 feedback?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad the more science focused mods are showing up. This one looks to have great potential, I'm excited to try it out.

One question, are you able to sample different parts of the planet somehow? Or is it just a matter of landing, sampling, and returning. I'm specifically thinking of how rovers fit into the picture.

Thanks. :-)

I'm glad the more science focused mods are showing up. This one looks to have great potential, I'm excited to try it out.

One question, are you able to sample different parts of the planet somehow? Or is it just a matter of landing, sampling, and returning. I'm specifically thinking of how rovers fit into the picture.

Thanks. :-)

It's the moment, it's just land-collect-analyze-return. Kethane integration is being looked at, to make interesting sample sites a "resource" that you can scan for from orbit. You get a bit of extra knowledge if you land just anywhere, but a bonus if you collect a sample from one of the interesting sites. That was the plan last I heard about it, anyway. :)

It's the moment, it's just land-collect-analyze-return. Kethane integration is being looked at, to make interesting sample sites a "resource" that you can scan for from orbit. You get a bit of extra knowledge if you land just anywhere, but a bonus if you collect a sample from one of the interesting sites. That was the plan last I heard about it, anyway. :)

I like that idea, gives extra incentive to find/explore them. :-)

A slightly long first post, apologies, but some ideas I hope.

Kethane is definitely the most useful candidate for a reward system before Squad implement career stuff, since it has the most utility. It's always been bizarre to me how a magic beam in orbit can detect the deposits, but then we use gravimetry to find candidate deposits of lots of minerals here on Earth so there's precedent. These only expose candidates though, and false positives are common so the certainty of a deposit size and location being immediately visible doesn't seem right. The idea is the same for any resource (H2O, CO2, whatever).

The real payoff though is exploring these candidates (including the false ones, yay!), and this is where I see this plugin coming in handy as follows:

1. From orbit, find candidate sites for resource
  2. Send probe to collect sample either by:

1. Kerbal on EVA (high payoff, since they can select better samples than automated rovers)
    2. Rover (limited by available fuel/part endurance)
    3. Lander (limited to immediate vicinity of lander)
    4. Impactor and supporting orbital observer (depending on deposit type and depth) - probably out of scope here but mentioned for completeness

5. Initial analysis in situ on-board the lander (if it survived, and your kerbal did too if applicable :))
    6. On Kerbin (better payoff than lander as implies better equipment)

Each extra step gives higher proportion of accessibility to resource in question and/or eliminates false positives, e.g. A Kerbal returning a sample to the lander for analysis (but leaving them behind as too heavy) and an unmanned probe return samples to Kerbin might have the same benefit, but nothing beats a Kerbal returning a load of samples to Kerbin that have already been identified as extra interesting thanks to pre-analysis in the lander.
      Most of these would likely require collaboration with Kethane development, but makes for a much more interesting (and realistic) exploration/exploitation experience. The science work seems to be done (drill, collect, analyse, return), only the resource level modification stuff and candidate site creation is properly new to Kethane. I'd also like to see the Kethane developers depend on this mod for all these cool goodies instead of the other way around :)
      The final benefit of these analysis tasks (again with increasing return as above) is knowledge of other bodies - e.g. atmospheric composition, clarification and assistance in landing site selection etc, all of which are crucial to advanced missions and cannot easily be accomplished from ground-based observations. This is likely something Squad are already looking into, but masking these details from the player to make them viable would likely require modifications only they can make (new features, GUI elements etc).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.