International Rescue

Scarecrow88

Just made my first landing on Duna, but in my excitement on the way down, somehow pressed the staging button, and lost the landing gear and engine, so poor old Kerbal is kinda stuck there until a rescue mission can be organised.

This set me to thinking, how many Kerbals have you got out there that will require assistance to get home again?

I've got a BIG Duna expedition that has a few problems with the return booster. Jeb is on the case though... Problem is that I've been trying to design a fix and various bugs have reared their ugly heads and caused a number of fails. Even had one ship lock the thrust on and it is now in a really eccentric and wild orbit around Kerbin going high above the ecliptic. The pilots of that are going to need help too. Lucky that Jeb wasn't on board that one.

I landed on Minmus a while back. Beautiful landing. Went to go EVA, but realized I had stupidly attached a sepratron over the hatch. Now all I can do is look at the landscape over the window. I'm thinking of sending a mission to somehow knock one of the sepratrons off the lander.

I had sent Bob off to Dres in an infinite-fuel blaze of glory, but I rescued him, an adventure all in itself. I don't have many kerbals out there right now actually, but I'm making final preparations for an interplanetary GRAND TOUR mission, and so I may leave some behind on other worlds then...

None. :) No one gets left behind. Just two days ago my Mun lander lost one of three engines during botched landing. Since it was not really stable from the beginning i didn't dare to try and lift off on assymetric thrust. Hapless pilot got out, planted a flag some 50 meters from the lander to mark emergency landing site, and returned to sit tight and wait for rescue. I've launched another lander, this time an older, proven design with additional Hitchhiker for rescuees. MechJeb neatly landed on the flag, i sucked fuel out of damaged lander's tanks using KAS connector, stranded kerbonauts relocated to passenger module - and off to Kerbin they went. In LKO instead of deorbiting the lander, i've sent a shuttle craft, rendesvoused, relocated the crew again and short deorbit burn later everyone were back on Kerba Firma.

I was on my first Tylo trip, got there, ran some "simulations" and determined I couldn't do it with my ship. Whilst waiting for my transfer window back, I used time warp, and the crew of three got slingshotted out to an orbit with a period of 16 years. A futile attempt was made whilst still in Jool's influence to correct it back to anything less - but all I did was waste all my fuel...

Rescued them eventually, but my goodness it was a waste of time...

Eight currently stranded kerbals.

2 on Eve-Odds of rescue are very slim. They landed low and I'm not spending next 3 real life years walking them to a mountain.

2 on Mun-Failed Minimus return. I was headed back from my first Minimus flight and realized a distinct lack of parachutes and fuel.

1 in Kerbal orbit-no eva fuel remaining.

3 on Duna-ran out of fuel and crash landed. Considering it was a Mun rocket, I'm actually not all that upset.

Back in 0.19, I've still got a set of kerbalnauts stuck in orbit around Moho. I sent a tanker out to them, and they still didn't have quite enough fuel to get home.

They might have enough fuel to get to Eve, though, where it would be much easier to send a tanker. I'll have to try that.

I only have 4 Kerbals outside Kerbins SOI right now and they are all at Duna. 2 are in an orbital science lab and another two are down on the surface in a ground base. The two on the ground have a lander that can bring them back up to the station, where a return vehicle is docked ready to take them home. I was planning to bring them home pretty soon but then realised I had made a rather large oversight: the Kerbin return vehicle only has 3 seats. With the Duna-Kerbin transfer window coming up in only a few days, one of the brave Kerbals is going to have to "volunteer" to stay in orbit on his own until the next Kerbin-Duna transfer window where I can send him a return vehicle, and then wait until I can bring him back home... it will probably be the longest time any Kerbal has spent in space on my save file :P

After towing a lander to the Mun, I decided to return the tug back to Kerbin instead of just leaving it drifting in orbit. Took one look at the fuel and figured I had maybe 220-230m/sec of dV left in the main engines. Not wanting to strand the crew in space, and because I was feeling too tired to send a rescue, I set up a node to return to a Kerbin orbit and began burning through my RCS with small bursts from the main engines. Eventually they broke free from Munar orbit and were on their way back to Kerbin, where I had to repeat the same process to deorbit. The fuel barely lasted long enough to get the PE into the lower atmosphere, but once in atmo the drag was enough to bring them back to the surface with parachutes deployed.

Then I realized I had a Kerbal still on the Mun in the lander.;.;

Jeb was stuck on the Mun in a lander can. Everything else had detached after a rough landing.

The automatic rescue ship was doing well until it landed on the lander can and destroyed it. Maybe Mechjeb was jealous of the real Jeb and decided to erase the wetware version!

I have 4 Kerbals that are in need of a rescue:

1 on Mün

In this save, Rodwig Kerman was the first Kerbal to step on the Mün, but my Return Vehicle was ... well flawed in its design, Rodwig was able to eject from the seat and return to the Müns Surface alive and well, but he is now in urgend need of shelter, air and a ride home

1 in Orbit around Mün

I launched for Missions to Mün yesterday, the first three went pretty smooth except that my experimental lander was not working properly and had to be left unused and unsalvageble in Müns Orbit, All Kerbals returned savely to Kerbin, except for the fourth Mission. While my experimental lander worked quite well (except for the Return Vehicle) i screwed my ascent from Kerbin, leavin the munar injection stage with one brave Kerbonaut behind, who is now stuck with half the amount of delta-v needed to get back home (well i could try to return him, but i probably have to deorbit on monoprob or something like that XD)

2 on Kerbin

Jeb and Bill landed savely on Kerbin after being the first Kerbals (in this save^^) to actually leave Kerbin Soi and orbit the Mün. They returned to Kerbin by 'chute and are now stuck on the other side of the planet. At least they got fresh air to breath and a shelter^^

I already tried two time to get a automated lander to Rodwig on the Mün, but my Lander designs till now have been too heavy for my launcher to Lift and inject into munar Orbit, I will probably send an automated habitation module, so that Rodwig has at least a shelter from the vacuum, and a place to sit down, while he waits for rescue^^

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

THUNDERKERBS ARE GO!

Hm. Interesting idea, to have a specific set of rescue vehicles in geosynchronous orbit, ready to head out to any planet system and save stranded Kerbals, returning to the station for refuelling and dropoff.

Rescue methods include landers and rovers, with special eve-specific unmanned drop vehicles that have the sole purpose of lifting kerbals out in command chairs. If that's possible. Fuel-tank drops, small rovers designed to get a lander leg under a tipped rocket and lever it up...

I have had Jeb, Bill, and Bob stranded in a capsule on an escape trajectory out of the solar system back in 0.17 after a failed Mun landing. There was also a Kerbal who was stuck in an abandoned Duna lander for almost twenty years, until I somehow managed to get him back to Kerbin using the lander's engines. Another Kerbal was stuck in a failed Mun lander in solar orbit who I never bothered to return back.

These days, I don't leave Kerbals stranded with no way to get back. I just strand them and force them to not come back. :P

None that are truly stranded at the moment. My first Duna mission didn't have the delta V to return, but I send them a return module specially designed to carry them home, and a rover to give them something to do.

I have a few on the Mun without functioning spacecraft with them, but it's just a case of landing one of my little rescue ships that are waiting in orbit to get them home.

I landed on Minmus a while back. Beautiful landing. Went to go EVA, but realized I had stupidly attached a sepratron over the hatch. Now all I can do is look at the landscape over the window. I'm thinking of sending a mission to somehow knock one of the sepratrons off the lander.

Heh... I have one better. I have a station in Duna orbit... Two of my Kebonauts are welded into a pod in the middle of a rotating hub and the hatches are covered with the girders. I think they were in the pod playing cards when the station was being made to be honest. Oh and just checked and they are on their 865th day in the can.

Edited by NeoMorph

i have 3 kerbals stranded on Laythe, sent a rescue mission and the rescue mission needs a rescue, not enough fuel on the lander to establish orbit. At least i have sent beforehand a hitchhiker container and a rover and established a base. I am testing designs and mission profiles so i can return them back safely. This is going to be on heck of a resource demanding situation.

My first munar landing was too rough to allow a return, but I managed to send an unmanned rescue vessel to pick up the 3 kerbonauts. One died in an accident while jetpacking over to the rescue lander, 9.2 km away from the original landing site.

And then Jebediah was part of a munar orbiter mission, ran out of fuel before he could adjust his orbit to return to Kerbin, floated around the homeworld for a few revolutions while two rescue missions failed to grab him, and was soon snatched by the Mun. Twice. The first pass increased his orbit considerably, and the second one resulted in his rocket being slung off into a Kerbol orbit. I'm not sure how I'll be rescuing him now, but given his orbit is similar to Kerbin's now, he might return on his own sometime in the future. Could be a while, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.