KSK

First Flight (Chapter 108 - Leviathan)

On 12/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, KSK said:

Plaster rained down from the ceiling,

Where’s Walter Keronkite when you need him? :D

On 12/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, KSK said:

Chadvey’s ‘Chronicles of the Deeps’

OTOH this feller certainly gets around... ;)

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Where’s Walter Keronkite when you need him? :D

OTOH this feller certainly gets around... ;)

:) 

He does rather. And as for Walter Leland Kerman Cronkite - I don’t think KBN News were invited to this one.

I feel like everytime I learn something new about rockets and space flight it pops up in 1 of the next few chapters, like the exhaust plume widening with dropping pressure. I've learned that just recently. Did u too? Coz it seems like it.

Not in this case. Plume expansion has been mentioned a couple of times, mostly in the context of particularly large rockets. I think the first mention was back in chapter 27, when the Endurance space station was launched:

"Endurance sped through Kerbin's upper atmosphere. The brilliant yellow white flame from its main engine had long since fanned out into a dirty orange plume glowing dully in the the thin, frigid air. Then, with a final cough of sooty flame, the SK1-P shut down. A sudden sharp crack of explosive bolts split the rocket in two and the spent lower stage fell slowly away, beginning a slow end over end tumble as it dropped back to Kerbin."

In general, I tend to have a vague idea about some detail of spaceflight or rocketry that I want to include in the story, start doing the research to make sure that the vague idea is feasible and more or less accurate, and then find out about something cool that I didn't know about.  :) 

Just a quick update. I have  the next two chapters sketched out although they're both real bullet-points-in-crayon level of sketches. Writing time is going to be limited over the next couple of weeks what with Christmas and visiting family, and  I imagine my good editor could well be in a similar situation. So - I'm hoping to get a last chapter out before 2020 but no promises.

As for 2020 - well we're getting close now. My rough outline for the rest of the story says that (including the next two), there's about another seven chapters worth of stuff to come and then we're into the final chapter and epilogue, both of which are completed but will need updating to reflect the changes in the story since they were written.

That's not set in stone of course and if history is any guide, First Flight tends to get unexpectedly longer rather than unexpectedly shorter. :) Still, I figured some level of expectation management was maybe in order, not least because there are going to be a couple of significant time-skips. This is by design and has been in my head for a good while (read, a couple of years). :) 

On 12/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, KSK said:

Not in this case. Plume expansion has been mentioned a couple of times, mostly in the context of particularly large rockets. I think the first mention was back in chapter 27, when the Endurance space station was launched:

"Endurance sped through Kerbin's upper atmosphere. The brilliant yellow white flame from its main engine had long since fanned out into a dirty orange plume glowing dully in the the thin, frigid air. Then, with a final cough of sooty flame, the SK1-P shut down. A sudden sharp crack of explosive bolts split the rocket in two and the spent lower stage fell slowly away, beginning a slow end over end tumble as it dropped back to Kerbin."

In general, I tend to have a vague idea about some detail of spaceflight or rocketry that I want to include in the story, start doing the research to make sure that the vague idea is feasible and more or less accurate, and then find out about something cool that I didn't know about.  :) 

Oh, must've forgotten about that part then.

4 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Oh, must've forgotten about that part then.

It was nearly six years ago - I'll let you off. ;)

Yup - started this adventure back in June 2013.

Weirdly enough I stopped getting notified of replies, and I'm almost never on KSP forums anymore except to read this, so I'm replying and selecting "notify me" just to make sure I get the new chapters!