First Flight (Epilogue and Last Thoughts)

KSK

Multi-mode Aerospace Complete Engine. MACE, for short. Just to throw it back at the two swords. After all, swords are elegant weapons. A mace uses brute force.

Or perhaps it just uses pepper as fuel :sticktongue:

Nice Acronym, but I think Muti-Atmospheric Cyclic Engine might work a little better. Or perhaps Multi-Atmospheric Cycle Engine. I hadn't thought of non sword one. I was trying desperately to get one for Gladius :D No luck.

Yeah, the KSA certainly wouldn't sneeze at a MACE powered SSTO. :)

Thanks for the suggestions folks! I was trying to get something for PONIARD, ending in Advanced Reaction Drive, but couldn't get anything to fit. I suspect seven word acronyms are always going to look a bit contrived.

Keep the ideas coming if you have a spare moment or two. Assuming folks don't mind, I may well appropriate one of them in an upcoming chapter - with full credit to the contributor of course.

I went for the fact that Squad has the RAPIER, there's a real SABRE, so I had to one-up both and shorten it up further. Hence the MACE. Plus it leaves room for someone to make the RAPIER later if they get that far, a better engine than the MACE. I know it's your story, KSK, but I half envisioned the MACE being manually switched, unlike the RAPIER's more elegant automatic switching.

What the hell's a poniard?

It's a place where you keep ponies of course. :P

Nope - what Cerebrate said. Can't remember if it's designed to punch through chain mail, or whether that's another short range bladed nasty that I'm thinking of.

Madrias - I think I'll borrow that! Not 100% sold on MACE yet (although it fits neatly with your rationale), but the notion of having an early version of the RAPIER, I do like. Early tests with a manually switched version makes sense too - at the very least you'd want a manual override to the automated systems whilst exploring the flight envelope, so yeah... I like it!

As for a further revision on MACE, Manually Actuated Combination Engine. I think best when I've been up for 24 hours or more. I know you're not sold on the name, it's just something that was bugging me, that my previous acronym had been rather clunkily assembled.

Keep them coming folks!

Best I've come up lately is LOCHABRE (as in the axe) for Low Orbit Capable Hybrid Air Breathing Rocket Engine. Hmm, the more I think about this, the better MACE is looking. :) It's also nice and neutral - doesn't really tell anybody what it does, which suits the secretive C7 style.

Thank you KSK, that was an excellent read. :)

How about. . .

PONIARD -- Precooled Oxidant/Nastic Intake Adaptive Reaction Drive

Nastic? Is this an organic drive? Well, they are supposed to be plants I guess :D 'Warp factor 10, engage the Kerm drive!'

Nastic? Is this an organic drive? Well, they are supposed to be plants I guess :D 'Warp factor 10, engage the Kerm drive!'

Ha, not exactly. :) It looks like the real world SABRE has a movable air inlet that adjusts its geometry based on current operating conditions. Not unlike a flower opening in response to a change in sunlight or humidity, a "nastic" air intake widens or narrows automatically in response to changes in atmospheric pressure and air speed.

I concede that "nastic" is an unlikely engineering term, but given the setting it might be plausible.

Sweet - I just learned a new word! So if photonasty is a non directional response to light, then what is videonasty? :)

More seriously, I'd say PONIARD just became a contender for a more advanced version of the engine as per Madrias's post. I can well imagine that kerbal engineering would be bio-inspired in places - probably more so than human engineering given their background - so having them use biological terminology more directly, works.

Cheers Ten Key, and welcome to the thread! Glad you enjoyed the read so far.

Patupi - you'd need to check with Jake, but I have a suspicion that the DONGLE was a key breakthrough in developing the Alkerbierre Drive. :)

Awsumindyman - that's an interesting thought actually. It was intended as a bit of random background really, to show that other organizations (other than the KIS, Rockomax and C7) are experimenting with launch vehicles, but I might just come back to it. Probably in a Buran / Dreamchaser configuration rather than the STS style side-mounted orbiter.

Cheers.

KSK

Edited by KSK

Patupi - you'd need to check with Jake, but I have a suspicion that the DONGLE was a key breakthrough in developing the Alkerbierre Drive. :)

Oh yeah, it's that interpreter device that plugs into the Alkerbierre control computer :D The security system wasn't it?

I can just see jeb in an Apollo-13 style pose.

"RCS thruster check.... Power systems go... Plugging in dongle..."

Edited by Patupi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.