Show off your B9 Designs!

Firespitter .dll is there.... maybe im just being stupid. what are the parts called? where are they?

They are in the Structural category of parts. Most of them have the word "Cargo" in their name, and look like this (blue highlighted parts):

ksp_gui1.PNG

ksp_gui2.PNG

ksp_gui3.PNG

My small contribution, B9 Gothic test vehicle

Do NOT EVER turn that thing toward the planet- ANY planet! We happen to enjoy the atmospheric effects, and that (fine-looking) kraken bait of a monstrosity will surely ruin the fun for the rest of us if you so much as even burp the throttle!! @_@

Do NOT EVER turn that thing toward the planet- ANY planet! We happen to enjoy the atmospheric effects, and that (fine-looking) kraken bait of a monstrosity will surely ruin the fun for the rest of us if you so much as even burp the throttle!! @_@

:(

I was going to use it as a crop sprayer in the Farming Simulator :D

Health and safety did advise me to put a cork on the sharp pointy bits but I ran out of corks. Oh well.

Then I ran out of pointy bits too!

Presenting Fun Pod (though I'm sure everyone has made one)

FunPod-LP.jpg

Ahh. B9. Making vertical SSTOs trivial since 1996 2004 2012 yesterday lunch time.

Edited by ecat

I've got an SSTO that carries 40 tons to 130km orbit. Took me probably 30 iterations on this design to finally get it right. Mostly B9 parts, but the wings are pWings, and a few KW parts thrown in (payload and struts).

screenshot123.png

screenshot125.png

Here's the payload being offloaded.

screenshot126.png

This is the station it's servicing, and you can see the SSTO in the background on the left.

screenshot130.png

This thing is so big and slow-turning that I had to stay around 500m-1km away and use the tug to come and retrieve the payload. But I'm so stinkin' proud of this one because it took so much effort to get right.

I've got an SSTO that carries 40 tons to 130km orbit. Took me probably 30 iterations on this design to finally get it right. Mostly B9 parts, but the wings are pWings, and a few KW parts thrown in (payload and struts).

Here's the payload being offloaded.

This is the station it's servicing, and you can see the SSTO in the background on the left.

This thing is so big and slow-turning that I had to stay around 500m-1km away and use the tug to come and retrieve the payload. But I'm so stinkin' proud of this one because it took so much effort to get right.

Shiza, that a gorgeous ship

Another spin of a B9 vertical SSTO, this time bigger, better (?) and with a cargo bay and wings (! it has a rotation problem). Again I'm sure it has been done before but it was so much fun I just had to share.

B9 Novem Cargo Mk I

B9NovemMkI-LP.jpg

... And a short video of take off, orbit and an attempt at the most outrageous landing I have ever tried asked MechJeb Loly to perform. FYI MechJeb Lander does not understand jets.

Apologies for the blackness of space (!), the dark scene brightens again around 2:55.

If only NASA could use these parts! :)

this is my first attempt to recreate a known ship

the Origin Jumpworks 300i from Star Citizen

:( I came into this thread to post my replica, but it looks like I showed up too late...

fCuWcKU.jpg

Substituted the weapons with jet engines.

Yes Please!

I think pWings is next on my mod list :)

Here's the craft: http://cl.ly/3F3L2g210y1Z

Just to keep this with the file, you'll need pWings and KW Rocketry for this one (and obviously B9). I don't think I used anything else, so if it throws errors let me know.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to mention MechJeb.

Edited by Raptor831

Here's the craft: http://cl.ly/3F3L2g210y1Z

Just to keep this with the file, you'll need pWings and KW Rocketry for this one (and obviously B9). I don't think I used anything else, so if it throws errors let me know.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to mention MechJeb.

Thank you very much. Something exciting to play with once I start with pWing :)

B9 Novem Cargo Mk I

The Novem was fun, especially watching the landing, not quite enough oxidiser to make it to the ground - whoops.

Still, it had the word Cargo in its name but had never, and probably never would carry anything larger than an ion probe. I felt bad, cheating you fine folks like that, so Loly and I put our heads together and tried to come up with something more deserving of a place in this thread of excellence.

What's a good cargo to experiment with? Three of the large cargo bays are a good fit for the VAB, three large cargo bays have room enough for 2 Jumbos. So. Two jumbos it is then... Need more engines and a bit more fuel this time too...

B9 Quindecim Cargo MkII b

B9QuindecimCargoMkIIb.jpg

It delivers those jumbos to 100km orbit and returns to base, backwards of course. Fine looking, built, tested, working and I would have left it at that. But Loly had other plans.

Pointing to the air intakes running down the side of the cargo bay - they are structural, long, light and strong they help hold the bay and the engine parts together - he said, "Those guys will never believe you, spamming air intakes they'll say. Spam. Spam. Spam. Let's do it Kerbal way." And with that, he picked up his green crayon and 'got all Kerbal on the blueprints'. "Air intake spam coming right up. And this time it's for real".

So, B9 Quindecim Cargo MkII d: Loly "Green Crayon" Edition.

B9QuindecimCargoMkIId-OverKerbal.jpg

B9QuindecimCargoMkIId-LP.jpg

B9QuindecimCargoMkIId-JumboGone.jpg

B9QuindecimCargoMkIId-Flame.jpg

The forces acting on this thing are evil incarnate. I guarantee both the top half and the bottom half, I do not guarantee they'll necessarily stay connected, during launch, orbit or landing! Air intake and RCS spam, in a single, large and rather photogenic package. Well done Loly. Now, put the crayon down.

Edit:

Craft file if any wish to give it a go, 320 parts after launch.

B9 and MechJeb should be the only mods required.

The strutting is far from optimal and still some tidying up to do.

I've been launching with MechJeb set to 5km turn start, 70km turn end, 100km orbit and a 15% ascent profile, terminal velocity limit on and 40m/s^2 acceleration limit on. This is a vicious profile but it results in good orbital velocity, a slope of 20% is much kinder to the ship.

Keys:

1 Toggles engines between Jet and Rocket, press this around 36km by which time you should be doing around 1600m/s. The ship tends to rotate in the final orbit stage, you can RCS or just leave it to settle. You'll probably need around 1000 RCS fuel for landing so... The choice is yours.

7 & 8 Lights near the cockpit.

9 Cargo bay lights

0 Cargo bay doors

For landing I just set Mechjeb to target KSC, hoping I don't hit anything when I get there. Success rate has been high :)

IMPORTANT: Enable RCS before clicking MechJeb Lander and do not disable it again until safely on the ground. If it looks like you are running out of RCS just abort the flight, without thrusters this ship flies straight and true and nose first directly into the ground... By Design ;)

http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Games/KerbalSP/Ships/B9 Quindecim Cargo MkII d.craft

Edited by ecat

Decided to make a new SSTO vessel today incorporating Wayland Corps. new Hyper Ring. I really liked how it turned out and how stable it is. It ended up being about 180 parts, sort of a lot but I didn't want to remove certain functions like docking port guidance lights (red omni-lights) and Quantum Struts. This also resulted in less than good framerates since I'm now playing on my Macbook Air. Well here it is in all of its glory.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, first forum post!

EDIT: Well that didn't go as planned, the album should properly display now. Thanks w4arlord117!

Edited by Layer23

So, I had an idea - don't you hate it when that happens? It's still a bit rough around the edges, and yes, more intake spam, but it works :) And I wanted to post before heading to bed.

B9 XS

B9XS-Details-LP.jpg

But it looks like the last one!

It does look similar but the cargo bay is a little larger and now there's not just one, there are three of them!

B9XS-DoorsOpen-LP.jpg

The last design in my previous post, which I think is quite beautiful, hoisted 2 jumbos to 100km using 15 engines, 7.5 engines per jumbo. The XS gets 6 jumbos to 100km using 21 engines, 3.5 engines per jumbo! It is also a lot more robust.

B9XS-Release.jpg

The down side? About 735 parts at launch (including payload), 606 parts at landing - yes, it does land - backwards :)

B9XS-Landing.jpg

Craft file.

Even without the 5fps this is not a fast ship, think bus not Ferrari. Still, if you need the capacity and weight it may be worth giving it a try.

You can see the MechJeb settings I used in first picture.

RCS, oh boy, this thing will eat all the RCS fuel it can find - some optimisation needed here. I start MechJeb lander with RCS OFF and wait until the course adjustment phase to begin before turning it on. ymmv. The landing pictured above started with 1700 rcs fuel! Loly looks quite sad that it had to end.

Keys:

1 Toggles engines between Jet and Rocket, the ship looks good for 37km on jets. Just wait until your rate of ascent drops below 10m/s or your speed begins to decrease - whichever comes first - and press 1. The ship tends to rotate in the final orbit stage, you can RCS or just leave it to settle. I got away with using RCS at 95km, just remember to switch it off again.

9 Cargo bay lights

0 Cargo bay doors

Mods used:

B9 and MechJeb

Boosters:

For 6 jumbos you definitely need these. Lighter loads probably don't need them.

http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Games/KerbalSP/Ships/B9XSMkIa.craft

Enjoy :)

Edited by ecat

Still have some fiddling with CoG shift due to spent fuel, but here is my Skylon during its first test bringing 12T to 100km Orbit. Was able to do 26T to a 140km orbit on a second test.

u6uLZjX.jpg

Still have some fiddling with CoG shift due to spent fuel, but here is my Skylon during its first test bringing 12T to 100km Orbit. Was able to do 26T to a 140km orbit on a second test.

Very nice, I like the minimalistic design. And I'm impressed by how many tonnes it can bring into orbit!

I modified the Ring SSTO from my previous post to lower the part count by 65 to about 110. It did require an additional stage in the middle though (the place where the ring can connect to other crafts via the Senior Docking Port. But I managed to get it into space at least with none other than Jebediah and Bill Kerman and about 6000 units of LF remaining!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.