multiple cupola pods for cumulative torque

i noticed that the cupola pod has the highest torque value. so i was wondering, if i put several of these pods on my interplanetary ship, does the torque value add up? i would like to be able to change my pitch and yaw angles without having to rely too much on my rcs thrusters and save the monoprop fuel for translational maneuvers during docking. also when i want to use my asas to hold my heading without needing to have the rcs active for those long 20-30 minute burns, since that uses up monoprop fuel like crazy.

Edited by creator1629

Actually, all the command pods/probe cores have a very similar mass/torque value, going between 0.15 and 0.20, which means they will pretty much all get the same angular spin.

That being said, the cupola module does have the highest, but really not by much. Plus it's the heaviest command module (I think), which will affect your TWR considerably. If you really want to up your torque, you're much better off with s lightweight thing that will give you pretty much the same up in torque. And the new stackable probe cores have the advantages of both being very lightweight and demanding (not much) electrical power, just like real torque wheels do. And they are a lot easier to add to a ship than the small probe cores. So they won't modify your TWR by much and give you pretty much the same amount of torque than the cupola module.

Although I get your idea of wanting more torque, I made the suggestion to add actual torque wheels in the development thread.

Anywa^y, have fun, and I hope I helped! ^^

oh hey thanks chris, thats actually good advice, i had not considered the actual torque to weight ratio. yeah the cupola pod is the heaviest one. do you happen to know what a good torque value per metric ton ratio will give decent maneuverability? i want to measure the total weight of my ship, then add probe cores till i get the desired amount of torque.

That I do not know though. The torque given by the command modules .cfg files aren't in any unit of sort. However, I guess you could see it that if your mass/torque ratio is .15, you would have the same angular speed (theoretically, although I highly doubt it and it would require experimentation) as the cupola module alone floating in space. I suspect wobble would slow you down a bit (or a lot), but you could base off your calculations from this base value.

that makes sense, ill base it off those values then, and adjust as needed. ill just experiment off of kerbins orbit before i commit to any long term interplanetary voyages. thanks again chris, you have been very helpful. (i wont refer to you by your full handle because it feels like i am offending you hahaha)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.