Fastest Re-entry

The goal: Is to be the person to land on Kerbin the fastest

Timing: Your clock will start the second you enter the atmosphere (Aka when you can only physics time warp) and ends when you land in the ocean! the time difference is your score. Note; the atmosphere starts at 69 077.553 m according to ksp wiki if this helps

Scoring: Kerbalnaut with the lowest score wins!

Rules:

1. NO mods, stock only

2. take screenshot when you enter the atmosphere and when you splash down or a video

3. Only Land On planet Kerbin

4. Can use rockets to go faster

5. must land in water (so it is equal distance for everyone)

6. you must land safely

:cool:good luck:cool:

Scoreboard

1. Ninety-Three-0m,13s

2. CRH1SZ-1m,3s

3. Captain Kalawang-2m,47s

4. This could be you!

Edited by Penguinhero

2 minutes 47 seconds. Touched the atmosphere mark at 0:38 at 8x speed until 0:57 (so that amounts to 152 seconds) and extra 10 second gap from transition to normal speed and impact.

Should any mods be allowed, this will be my entry. Time from entry to crash: 6 seconds.

Your move now. Go and give your challenge a shot.

What is meant with the rule "only planet kerbin"? Am i allowed to go like to minmus and then sling back right into kerbin?

what i meant was you can only land on Kerbin and not Duna, Eve, Or Laythe so yes you can

My entry:

Entering the Atmosphere:

Iww4Jm2.png

End Flight Menu:

awYBG6i.png

Score: 38

[Just for interest, I made a gravitational slingshot by the mun pointing me straight at kerbin with high speed]

Edit: Forgot to post it, here is the Rocket i made the challenge with

27rUASR.jpg

Edited by Jaedinator

stock challenges everywhere, srsly, it's not that difficult to install mods and some of them are just amazing.

Some challenges will be no challenge at all when using mods. But are you pertaining to plugins, or part add-ons?

Some challenges will be no challenge at all when using mods. But are you pertaining to plugins, or part add-ons?

I don't recommend free for all, but B9/KSPX/KW/NP I think should be allowed by default for all challenges.

OK, I've smashed the stock record: my time is 1 minute 3 seconds

Here is my craft (parachute overkill on the capsule)

GohtpCV.png

P92IV4A.png

WNJtRaM.jpg

After going for a merry ride around the Mun (sadly I failed to get a grav-assist off Minmus as well, maybe I'll try that if someone beats this record) Jebediah had a lot of fun re-entering the atmosphere in excess of Mach 10. The 2 screenshots here are each side of re-entry (i.e. reentry began somewhere between 4:04:42:29 and 4:04:42:30)

YPI1y8Y.png

p9ahDyq.png

After pulling the 'chutes and jettisoning the upper stage at just 100m above sea level, the craft floated to splashdown and Jeb suddenly looked very bored

HoxQi6i.png

Mission log:

M4td1p3.png

Have fun beating this and subjecting your kerbals to more extreme G-force in the process!

The rules don't seem to prohibit the use of infini-fuel (though common sense would, since mods aren't allowed :P ) so here's my try:

Around 60 km/s, and it takes but a few seconds to splash into the water... :D

The rules don't seem to prohibit the use of infini-fuel (though common sense would, since mods aren't allowed :P ) so here's my try:

Around 60 km/s, and it takes but a few seconds to splash into the water... :D

Sorry mate, you've got to have a kerbal in there who survives the landing or it doesn't count.

Even if infini-fuel was permitted.:(

Here's my entry. Depending on how you count it, I was 13 seconds from atmosphere to water, or 38 seconds from atmosphere to complete rest. The imgur has slightly more pics, but here's the three main confirmation ones. If we're being scored on coming to a complete rest, I could re-run it a couple times trying to time my parachutes better and probably get a much better score.

For those interested, my technique for getting so much speed was to fling a mainsail and one hundred-some tons of fuel nearly out of Kerbin's SOI, then at AP, point them at Kerbin and burn. The launcher was an ugly as sin lightly-asparagus-staged mainsail monstrosity that totaled about 2000 tons of fuel. Someone with more patience could get a higher re-entry speed using an atomic engine, but really the big place to save time is on surfacing from diving underwater.

Also, I'll say it here for those who didn't check the imgur: The secret is covering the command pod with a few tons of RCS thrusters (drag coefficient = 0.001), lowering its overall drag coefficient to 0.048

1G4LP5C.png

Entering the atmosphere

inc94UM.png

200 meters underwater, in just 13 seconds.

0HgCtwY.png

Using parachutes to not end up quite so deep underwater, coming to surface rest 38s after atmosphere.

Edited by Ninety-Three

How did you manage to enter the water at 694.4 m/s without the ship breaking?

Also, purely for amusement, did you get a mission log because I want to see what sort of deceleration you managed on that landing!

How did you manage to enter the water at 694.4 m/s without the ship breaking?

Also, purely for amusement, did you get a mission log because I want to see what sort of deceleration you managed on that landing!

Short version: I'm not quite sure.

Long version: The front of the ship was _covered_ in RCS thruster ports that were there to reduce drag. My best guess is that KSP's weird water physics responded well to a low drag, high-speed impact. I hit at well over 1000 m/s, it's also possible that I was moving so fast that I clipped through the water's collision frame.

Sadly KSP's acceleration measuring thing is really non-functional, but based on the timestamps of some of the screenshots I got, I lost somewhere in the vicinity of 2000 m/s in a second. Kerbals are made of strong stuff.

I can't count this as an official entry, since I don't have the right screenshots for it, but back during version 0.18 I did a similar challenge. Here area couple of screenshots from the re-entry portion of the trip:

SpeedRunReentry_zps3a03c29e.png

SpeedRunAtmo2_zps25118b41.png

SpeedRunPara_zpsf6780185.png

The mission involved an asparagus-staged nuclear power rocket, a Jool flyby, and a sundive (Kerbol periapsis <1Mm) to allow me to hit Kerbin that fast. (The original mission plan was to actually try to hit Kerbin head on, but certain technical failures - namely, three of my four engines falling off - prevented that.)

If I recall, total elapsed time from first contact with the atmosphere to shoot-open was around five seconds. G forces peaked somewhere around 1600G. Sadly, I can't give exact times, since the MET is only showing days, hours, and minutes, and I also missed the ocean. (Total time to splashdown would've been longer, too, since I popped the shoot early.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.