Moon Base

Spitz

Münbases are a challenge because you actually gotta get a structure TO the Mün. I'm sure once the game moves on in life, their will be resources to get from the Mün, to act as a sort of fuel station to the further planets.

My First Münbase! :D

8917053485_51a58a9554_o.jpg

@OP:

You must remember that this game is still in development, a work in progress, and is by no means anywhere near finished.

But the bottom line is that at THIS point, there is no built-in "purpose" or "end-game" to any part of this game as of yet. If there ever is an "end-game" I think I'd be a bit upset. I thought about the OPs question back shortly after I started playing this game, and I seriously was about to shelve it. Then I started watching a TONNE of youtube videos, and seeing what others are doing. That changed my mind.

So I came up with a personal project to build a mobile rover that can attach to other copies of itself and move around a planets surface, and then send Kerbils to investigate all the different secrets on the planets. I'm running ISA Mapsat to map out all the planets, which is one challenge. (I'm having a problem getting to the moons around Jool, and Moho? Pfft...). I've built a gas station in space so I can refuel my ships as they go interplanetary. Along the way, I've learned how to orbit, dock, and land. My next objective is to get another station above Mun, and learn how to use the Kethane pack. I've also started ripping into some of the mods in this game (The developer in me just can't freak'n help it!) and figure out how they tick.

So the game is full of self challenges. You could land on the Mun with nothing but stock, or only a certain set of parts. Get to Eeloo and then Moho with a single stage. NO CHEATING.... That kinda stuff.

There are several planned features, such as resources and a career mode in the works, but they're not there. MANY people are itching pretty badly for resources. I kinda am as well.

I know what the OP means, there isn't really a point to a base right now, since a base is just random parts scattered in one place with no function. That's why we need a career mode

I know what the OP means, there isn't really a point to a base right now, since a base is just random parts scattered in one place with no function. That's why we need a career mode

OP = Original Poster/Post

...its a 4Chan thing...you don't wanna know...

since a base is just random parts scattered in one place with no function.

See right there is a challenge. Why accept "random parts scattered in one place" as a base? Why can't a base be modular construction connected together into one piece on the surface? Why can't it have a purpose?

screenshot139.jpg

screenshot142.jpg

screenshot144.jpg

screenshot147.jpg

This is the prototype of the base I'll be building on Minimus. Complete with two launch complexes to launch tankers and crew shuttles to service crafts in orbit with locally produced fuel.

Just a question: How do you guys standardize the height of the vehicles so that they can all refuel landed vehicles?

Lots of ground testing on Kerbin. Don't forget that your structures will flex landing gear and other parts less in low gravity. While that can make some of your docking ports not line up, the low gravity might allow you some wiggle room (literally). Also, it helps to find a reasonable height that you can adapt to nearly any vehicle.

Alternatively, you can use the awesome Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) mod. Then you can dock virtually any craft via EVA and a few parts.

Right click on a kerbanaut who is standing on a planet or moon, select "plant flag" I think.

Thanks you.

You can refuel vessels from a Mun base, and your kerbals can study planetology on site. Plus, the media loves the idea of Kermen on another world.

How do you that ? O_O By docking ?

Edited by Spitz

• 1 month later...

Wow, how did you come up with that awesome looking base? I just started playing and I wouldn't know where to begin with building a base. I don't know much about the functionality of all the parts or anything. Would love to try and build this on the mun but no clue where to begin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.