Who still needs the RoveMax Model 1?

Crush

Is there any reason to use the old RoveMax Model 1 rover wheels, now that we have the TR-2L?

The TR-2L is

* Faster

* Requires less power

* Has less mass

* Is more impact-resistant

I can honestly see no reason to still use the Model 1. Did I overlook something, or is this really a balancing mistake?

The RoveMax 1's handle (and brake) much better. If you so much as tap the Brake or turn buttons in a TR-2L Rover you usually end up spinning/flipping out of control

Well, the Model 1 is more compact and has higher ground clearance. Plus it looks more appropriate for small Mun buggys. But other than that, the ruggedized wheel is better.

The RoveMax 1's handle (and brake) much better. If you so much as tap the Brake or turn buttons in a TR-2L Rover you usually end up spinning/flipping out of control

Thats a bug, that has now been fixed.

Edited by sal_vager

I tested both ... the old Rovemax as well as the new Rovemax on my Mini Rover with the Mun as Testing ground.

Asice from the fact that I was possible to transfer to Nullspace by using the new wheels, they made rover barely handleable with the low gravity and the hilly landsscape of Mun and it would topple over after only a short distance. In contrast to this the old medium wheels worked O.K. in this environment.

Maybe the new medium roveer wheels work better under other circumstances (higher gravity, larger rover) but that still has to be tested out

I think it still has quite a few uses. A rover with the new wheels, when brake is applied hard, will do a frontflip, where the same rover using the old wheels will just gradually slow down. Would be cool if you could set which wheels have brakes on them, similar to setting the power and steering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.