[Scenario] Rendezvous With Roche

Edit: Nevermind. Now I've spent too long just building the ships and having the .craft get mucked up and unsalvagable. Maybe later when I have more patience.

Edited by Dantes99

Awesome scenario - first attempt saw me get the stranded crew on board, and find i'd vastly underestimated the amount of juice I would need for the return trip. Second attempt later today... :)

This is an awesome way to create / distribute challenges, makes me wonder on the possibilities of a scenario editor / persistence file generator utility, if none exist already?

Awesome scenario - first attempt saw me get the stranded crew on board, and find i'd vastly underestimated the amount of juice I would need for the return trip. Second attempt later today... :)

This is an awesome way to create / distribute challenges, makes me wonder on the possibilities of a scenario editor / persistence file generator utility, if none exist already?

You should be able to make a scenario if you just take a save file and add the scenario head to the sfs-file. It doesn't look too complicated (exept that I did not find out yet where you put the picture for it).

My progress so far:

The lifeboat:

hTAAKB3.png

The Tug:

oW4jkcR.png

Both vehicles on their way to Eve:

jUjrkew.png

Rescuing the original Roche expedition:

Gsu3SGm.png

After docking with the ship we head out to Roche:

SR4Z2uY.png

Inspecting the asteroid:

CKnRO33.png

Are those Micro-meteroid impact craters?

53MrF5U.jpg

Finally docked:

MLABPD6.png

Now i need to refuel the Ship and get this thing back home:D

I managed to get this to Roche, but I can not dock it. At all. The damn craft I made likes to rotate all over the place if you let go of SAS and you can't use RCS cause it spams all ports so you can't move. Not even Mechjeb could help me cause it thinks it has to dock with the other side.

screenshot115x.png

(the craft even got with a full orange tank full of fuel surplus there which I had to decouple, so it's completly fueled up now)

Edited by Atanar

it thinks it has to dock with the other side.

That might be a problem with the port/asteroid. The transforms might be rotated 180 from what they should be, but they're both rotated so it still works, but will mess up mechjeb.

I put my plan into action the other day but haven`t had time to follow up.

It`s perhaps a bit ambitious.. however I intend to send one ship to eve to retrieve the crew there and grab the rock.. and then hurl it to kerbin

there will then be a second craft waiting at kerbin to reaquire the rock on its approach and pull it into orbit.

The first craft returns to Kerbin by itself.

sort of... an interplanetary game of catch I suppose.. hoping to have a chance this evening to progress the plan further !

part one video here http://www.twitch.tv/hoshizora/c/2372353

Great scenario, the planning phase is already a ton of fun. I think i have a stock craft that can do it in one launch. I will probably mess it up because this will be my first mission outside of Kerbins SOI, but anyway:

I present you "EIVAARRK" - the Experimental Interplanetary Vessel for Asteroid Approach, Rondevouz and Return to Kerbin"

cSkyhry.png

Mission plan:

210 tons payload to LKO

2200dV for Kerbin Escape and Eve operations (aerobraking, crew rescue, Roche rondevouz)

1100dV (with asteroid mass attached) for return to Kerbin SOI and aerobraking

Its probably not enough, but my lifters cannot put more into orbit with just one launch. I will try to save as much fuel as possible by doing grav-assists (which i have never done before).

Have you tried just leaving your ship alone for a bit? It took at least half a minute for my ship to stab Roche. Probably longer. The magnetic docking is trying to move both your ship and the 600t asteroid into position after all.

I put my plan into action the other day but haven`t had time to follow up.

It`s perhaps a bit ambitious.. however I intend to send one ship to eve to retrieve the crew there and grab the rock.. and then hurl it to kerbin

there will then be a second craft waiting at kerbin to reaquire the rock on its approach and pull it into orbit.

*slow clap*

Well, that's audacious.

Have you tried just leaving your ship alone for a bit? It took at least half a minute for my ship to stab Roche. Probably longer. The magnetic docking is trying to move both your ship and the 600t asteroid into position after all.
No. I was unaware that it was a long process. I guess I'll do that later tonight.

EDIT: I took my sweet time and finally saw the magnetic wobble so I compensated and docked in a jiffy. Too bad I only had 175 m/s worth of delta-V left. :(

Edited by Dantes99

That might be a problem with the port/asteroid. The transforms might be rotated 180 from what they should be, but they're both rotated so it still works, but will mess up mechjeb.

No, I meant the other side of my craft. It doesn't recognise the spike as a docking port (why should it?) so it want's to use the other side. I am thinking about deleting this other docking port via save file edit.

Edit: Managed to do it with normal docking and a lot of effort.

Edited by Atanar

I did it, finally! periapsis and apoapsis both under 300km Kerbin.

Hardest part was docking such big masses. And the rotating of the craft... if I didn't have mechjeb for that I would have gone mad. Did the rest by myself though.

Here are some images:

http://imgur.com/a/ZCsGU

Took me 3 launches (and several dozen failed launches, you know stacked big fuel tanks...). And yeah, I don't care about kerbals.

Edited by Atanar

Is there a way to show debris in map mode? I can only see Roche in the flight control building at KSC. Trying to find it in orbit the normal way might take a while...

Is there a way to show debris in map mode? I can only see Roche in the flight control building at KSC. Trying to find it in orbit the normal way might take a while...

When you're in map mode, move your mouse to the top of the screen and you should see a bar with many icons on it. You can right-click on the icons to toggle the type of ship you want to see. I think debris is the leftmost icon.

I have tried and tried. I give up. The challenge is not hard, I have made a craft that I think could easily do the challenge and I am able to fly it but every time I move from Kerbin to Eve one of my NERVA falls off. I have attached it with three struts to no avail.

I`d rather bring Roche back from Jool than Eve because of the Kraken that only exists between Kerbin and Eve. I only use half the system because of it. It`s pointless trying to get closer to the sun, I just fall apart like Icarus.

Any chance of an Eeloo-Roche challenge for those of us who just can`t go to Eve? (Anywhere further out than Kerbin)

Here is what happens when I try to go to Eve...

screenshot86p.png

screenshot90q.png

screenshot92d.png

screenshot93k.png

I have tried and tried. I give up. The challenge is not hard, I have made a craft that I think could easily do the challenge and I am able to fly it but every time I move from Kerbin to Eve one of my NERVA falls off. I have attached it with three struts to no avail.

I`d rather bring Roche back from Jool than Eve because of the Kraken that only exists between Kerbin and Eve. I only use half the system because of it. It`s pointless trying to get closer to the sun, I just fall apart like Icarus.

Any chance of an Eeloo-Roche challenge for those of us who just can`t go to Eve? (Anywhere further out than Kerbin)

Here is what happens when I try to go to Eve...

Are you building your ships with 'allow part clipping' turned on? Pretty much the ONLY time I have things randomly fall apart is if I try to use that option and whatever the craft is is very big.

It works fine on small things like rovers/probes, it makes all large craft prone to falling apart randomly.

Are you building your ships with 'allow part clipping' turned on? Pretty much the ONLY time I have things randomly fall apart is if I try to use that option and whatever the craft is is very big.

It works fine on small things like rovers/probes, it makes all large craft prone to falling apart randomly.

how do you turn it on or off? I have it at whatever the default setting is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.