Manned Mission To Jool

Rockhem

I have just sent a manned mission to orbit jool and return!

Pics:

Module Docking:

Z3O7Sdz.png

Escaping Kerbin:

9Tlvan1.png

Got my encounter!

ydGTq7g.png

Leaving Kerbin:

XcqgQU8.png

First Jool sighting:

S7XEay7.png

Jool aerocapture:

QLRrzfB.png

Jool Orbit:

vF9WkjX.png

Burning home:

5yMeiIH.png

Kerbin again!

b2ZQeJ6.png

There goes the module that took us there and back:

Hi1dc1m.png

Reentry!

mG0P8wg.png

Parachuting down:

dfzqE9h.png

Mission Portrait:

sHnDBp6.png

These guys were crammed into a tiny capsule for 2000 days. (good thing i had jeb, he is already insane)

I think that they were forgotten.

It took me a lot of designing to pull off this mission. The craft, fully fueled weighs about 60 tons.

It is assembled from two modules in space, the Propulsion module, makes up the bulk of the weight, and the Command module, where the crew works, lives, and eats.

My next mission is to send people to orbit Laythe and return. Then after that........ The mission to end all missions. A landing. On. Laythe.

Laythe.

Took me quite a bit to get this set up, but i hate having disposable interplanetary ships, after all that work, it just smashes into Kerbin.

make a re-usable one. I made mine so I can add a couple fuel tanks with docking ports, drop empties along the way, and bring it back home to re-use.

Very nice work! Reaching Jool is a major milestone. Plus, the whole Jool system with all the moons and the great vistas... It's so damn pretty!

Your "pusher" is a good design - simple and effective. If you add a Senior docking port on each end, you should be able to refuel it and add different mission packs (probes, crew carriers, landers, rovers) on the front to make it a re-usable platform. In fact, you could probably cut it down to just the central tank (with the nukes bolted on the sides) and dock additional fuel tanks on the back as needed. You can even undock the empty tanks as they run out and leave them in space as testaments to your achievements :)

EDIT: Ninja'd by leaving this window open for fifteen minutes as I fixed myself a fancy drink :D

Congrats! I've yet to go to Jool or its moons yet myself, though I'm currently in the planning phase of an unmanned mission to orbit Jool and a few of it's moons, then return.

• 3 years later...
13 minutes ago, Willy101 said:

How do you arrive at jool to aero brake last time I tried that I was coming in at 8kps and blew up

This is an ancient thread, dating back to 2013 when the game was very different from today-- in particular, there was no such thing as reentry heating.

Anything you read here is likely almost completely irrelevant now; the game has changed a lot in three years.

Locking thread to prevent further confusion.