[0.25+] HexCans - Standardized Resource Canisters 0.7.1 -- Breaking Ground Edition

Greys

Wensday at the soonest, though in my limited testing it currently works fine excusing the lack of reaction wheels.

Lebannehn, Great work, sorry I haven't responded to your PM, I've spent most of the last week asleep or at work and that's not going to change today. Do you mind if I include the link to your texture pack in the first post?

Yeah, of course.

Any chance of you making this type of texture for the HexPod? Would love to use it for a Stealth Plane!

Aye. As soon as it releases.

Edited by Lebannehn

I`ve noticed that HexPod is unmanned. So there is no need for EVA.

It's the perfect size for a cryotube! And why not manned? If it is unmanned, why does it have that kick-ass cockpit windshield?

If it was going to be unmanned, a cylon-style or hall-style eye in the texture of the hexpod would be enough.

The unmannedness should have been corrected in the first round of balancing, if not it will be fixed before the part is considered done. IVA, I haven't the slightest idea about, it'll probably happen eventually but i make no promises, it will get a hatch and you will be able to EVA from it, but until and assuming an IVA is added, there can be no little window showing the Kerbal inside.

New Hexcans!

Life isn't going the way I'd like so I haven't been able to work on any of the new parts, but I did finish the MFS compatibility update, everything except barite is working correctly and integral, and Barite now defaults to full instead of empty, not sure why MFS isn't respecting the setting to be half full but this is an improvement.

Because of how MFS does things this does mean the weight of an empty hexcan will vary between type and size so I expect to be balancing that over the next few updates but it will never be perfect. Also because of how MFS does things for some reason sizes and types of hexcan are not quite as full as they will be normally, this seems to be a rounding limit so there's really nothing to be done. In my testing it was never more than one unit of resource, usually more like a tenth but sometimes half.

Because of the MFS support, check in your MFS install and if there are any configs for Hexcans, delete them. This will only impact newly placed Hexcans.

SAS hexcans have been converted to the new Reaction Wheel system, this will change how much force they impart and now they drain electricity when used, also they can be toggled. Going by stock reactionwheels I've also rebalanced the weight and unfortunately they're a lot heavier now, with the large being over two tons. Reaction wheels are heavy, if they weren't, they wouldn't be able to do what they do effectively.

I've left the ASAS hexcan in, but I don't think it does anything anymore so everybody should remove it from their designs as it may be removed in a future update.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, those are really nice, like, you are way above my level. Though, why are you posting them here? Those are clearly good enough for you to release as their own pack, and mine doesn't really have anything to do with hydrogen and water.

You make really good stuff man.

PS, totally didn't see this post

PPS, things are starting to settle down so hopefully I'll be fixing the probes soon and getting back to work on hexcans, unless I get distracted again... (HexCom)

Wow, those are really nice, like, you are way above my level. Though, why are you posting them here? Those are clearly good enough for you to release as their own pack, and mine doesn't really have anything to do with hydrogen and water.

You make really good stuff man.

PS, totally didn't see this post

PPS, things are starting to settle down so hopefully I'll be fixing the probes soon and getting back to work on hexcans, unless I get distracted again... (HexCom)

Ohh~~~! Is that HexCan based landing gear?!

nope, it's a HexTenna, though I am planning on HexGear. There will hopefully eventually be three sizes of HexCom units, also maybe a laser of some sort, a hexpod based fold out solar panel array, maybe two, maybe three. And I thought about making a hex wheel, but it was too silly and wheels scare me. I also need to at some point look into adding cooling fins to the RTG units and I'd love to open up the SAS units to show reaction wheels inside, but kinda only if they're animated and responsive.

I should put this in a list somewhere

HexCom Large

HexCom Medium

HexCom Small

HexCom Beam

HexGear (aircraft)

HexLeg (Landing Gear)

Hexolar Large (Gigantor style)

Hexolar Medium (Photovoltaic Film Roll)

Hexolar Small (unroll into stationary panel

nope, it's a HexTenna, though I am planning on HexGear. There will hopefully eventually be three sizes of HexCom units, also maybe a laser of some sort, a hexpod based fold out solar panel array, maybe two, maybe three. And I thought about making a hex wheel, but it was too silly and wheels scare me. I also need to at some point look into adding cooling fins to the RTG units and I'd love to open up the SAS units to show reaction wheels inside, but kinda only if they're animated and responsive.

I should put this in a list somewhere

HexCom Large

HexCom Medium

HexCom Small

HexCom Beam

HexGear (aircraft)

HexLeg (Landing Gear)

Hexolar Large (Gigantor style)

Hexolar Medium (Photovoltaic Film Roll)

Hexolar Small (unroll into stationary panel

The small solar idea sounds like something i saw in Fringe. A small case that unlocks and folds out.

I like the idea of the HexLeg, perhaps using the end of the can as the 'foot' for it?

Finally I enjoy this mod having three sizes for everything and would love to see that pattern continue.

To make the small Hexolar more useful I'd probably give it KAStatchment ability (BYOKAS)

Btw,

f3kQwLy.png

KAStatchable command chair

Add this to /GameData/Squad/Parts/Command/seatExternalCMD/part.cfg

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab //This module will add the possibility to grab the part from Eva.
grabKey = g // Key used for grabbing a part
maxDistance = 2 // Max distance for grabbing a part
breakForce = 3 // The force that needs to be applied on the grab joint to break. (Not used, as eva don't react correctly to a physic joint)
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.06, -0.3) // Position of the grabbed part on eva
evaPartRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0) // Rotation of the grabbed part on eva
addPartMass = true // Add or not the grabbed part mass to eva
grabSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grab // Grab sound
}

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleAttach // This module will add the possibility to attach part grabbed from Eva.
attachKey = h // Key used to toggle attach pointer
rotateLeftKey = b // Key used to rotate left the attach pointer
rotateRightKey = n // Key used to rotate right the attach pointer
surfaceDist = 0.2 // Surface distance above the target part
maxDistance = 2 // Max distance for attaching a part
allowPart = True // Disable/enable attaching a part to another part
allowEva = False // Disable/enable attaching a part to eva
allowStatic = False // Disable/enable attaching a part to a static object like ground or building.
sendMsgOnly = False // Delegate the attachment system to another module on attach. (ex : hook module) If set to false, the attachment will be handled by this module.
pointerUseModel = True // Use or not the current part model as pointer instead of a sphere.
partRot = (90.0, 0.0, 0.0) // Rotation of the attached part
attachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/attach // Attach sound path
detachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/detach // Detach sound path
}

Edited by Greys

Greys: while this makes it of limited place-ability, for the hexolar I suggest making it open out like a flower and then using a sunflower as the symbol on the side :)

This is my current plan

Javascript is disabled. View full album

But I literally made this over the last half hour, still a lot of things to consider, like if I want to unroll the caps, if I want to have additional panels inside to make it even bigger (do note, this is the 0.2m flat-flat diameter version, so there's not as much space as it looks)

I intend to do a mockup of the flower style to see just what I would do with it.

After making this just now, the small hexolar is probably what I'll make as my first active element

This is my current plan
Javascript is disabled. View full album

But I literally made this over the last half hour, still a lot of things to consider, like if I want to unroll the caps, if I want to have additional panels inside to make it even bigger (do note, this is the 0.2m flat-flat diameter version, so there's not as much space as it looks)

I intend to do a mockup of the flower style to see just what I would do with it.

After making this just now, the small hexolar is probably what I'll make as my first active element

This actually looks really cool! Though perhaps have the cap split apart and the whole thing stay in just six sides/pieces?

I don't want to just unroll the cap the same way, for reasons. Mainly I can't split up the end in any satisfying way so if I roll out the caps there'll be a random hexagon left over, but also it would just be boring. So I'm flowering the end caps, and out of time for the day

pOKjnt4.png

PS, to anyone who wonders why I model in a CAD suite, because I like this

QUXxoEU.png

Edited by Greys

I don't want to just unroll the cap the same way, for reasons. Mainly I can't split up the end in any satisfying way so if I roll out the caps there'll be a random hexagon left over, but also it would just be boring. So I'm flowering the end caps, and out of time for the day

pOKjnt4.png

Actually that is cool~

just browsing stuff and happened to come across a thread about extendable trusses clicked your profile(don't ask, it's late and I'm tired) and happened to find this. been looking for a mod for stuff like this. I'll download it later

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.