[0.25+] HexCans - Standardized Resource Canisters 0.7.1 -- Breaking Ground Edition

Greys

As Kethane is soon to be using this map overlay for scanning for deposits, would a green background with three hexagons on it seem clear enough for a Kethane symbol? Because, with a Kethane hexcan, this'll be complete for me (seeing as the alpha of extraplanetary launchpads is already using hexcans for their resources!). :)

(seeing as the alpha of extraplanetary launchpads is already using hexcans for their resources!). :)

Bwhaaa?

As far as Kethane goes, how's this look?

FguxWRK.png

I know there's volume data for Kethane in the Spherical Tanks thread, I'll go find that and see how fast I can get this done

Edit:

1BDxNp4.jpg

I don't have time to make a full repack but here's just the new stuff, only compatible with 0.3.0+

link gone

Re-edit

Found some time after driving all over town to get food for my stupid cats (I love you cats but you're dumb as balls), main links updated with Kethane hexcans, I'll leave the patch link active till morning

Edited by Greys

That looks great, thanks!

As to the EPL hexcans, there's a testing dev build that's using hexcans for their resources at the moment, which is actually where I got the link for here. They're not gonna be in the full build, from what I can tell.

Well, actually they will be in the full build for v2, because I haven't had time to fix my container models yet.

Bwhaaa?

As far as Kethane goes, how's this look?

FguxWRK.png

I know there's volume data for Kethane in the Spherical Tanks thread, I'll go find that and see how fast I can get this done

Edit:

1BDxNp4.jpg

I don't have time to make a full repack but here's just the new stuff, only compatible with 0.3.0+

link gone

Re-edit

Found some time after driving all over town to get food for my stupid cats (I love you cats but you're dumb as balls), main links updated with Kethane hexcans, I'll leave the patch link active till morning

So this will be added to full version, if I understand you right?

edit: downloaded them from github ;)

Edited by Lurven

Sorry, I updated the mediafire downloads last night and they have it, but I forgot to update the spaceport download.

Quick question if anybody cares to answer. I'm a bit torn over having spaceport at all, a week or so ago it was brought to my attention in the unofficial IRC channel that certain parts of the SpacePort addon upload ToS are entirely unreasonable.

For instance, This thread is in violation of them because I am advertising my addon and I am providing it from places that are not SpacePort.

So the question is, if I removed HexCans from spaceport for those reasons, do yalls think that would prevent you from giving it a shot?

PS: Spaceport updated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just wanted to file a bug report with the Large HexCan decoupler rack. It has the audio but won't eject the can. Checked the config between it and the normal size and I think you made a small error with the settings for the decoupling.

Indeed I did, I actually corrected quite a while back but then I died for a while; I'm better now but I forgot to distribute the fix.

This is the change to fix it, replace the red with the green; if you want to fix it yourself : https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/commit/88ac2c5e7159ce924ddd9861c484673246f91dae

I'm pretty sure there's some way to download the whole file from here, but I'm new to github so I don't actually know how https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/blob/master/HexCans/Parts/HexRackDec/Large.cfg

I'll have a patched update uploaded shortly, gotta make sure nothing else is currently between working states.

Update posted, links in the first post.

Update also includes the work I've done on the unfinished parts, and a few new unfinished parts that are not at all functional but the old ones are much progressed texture wise and have had a couple of balancing passes; air intakes are still way overpowered.

Thanks, it's been a lot of fun making them, a good first project and I keep finding ways to take it further. Once I'm done with the current project of a docking system I'd like to make some functional and animated elements like wheels/gear, extending solar panel, and collapsing tranciever dish to be used with ISA, RelayTech, Kethane, etc

Specifically it does not, if it was used for something then using it would shift your CoM.

There are certain problems with that prospect

81ay4CE.png

Funny story, I had intended to decouple the lander can so the hexcans would be alone and laying down,

but the pod ejected with such force and had so little mass relative to the cans that it was thrown into the runway and exploded.

Edited by Greys

well, look at the Kerbal. Then look at the large RTG HexCan (that's the one that is holding up all the other parts in the picture). Now, don't you think you would have at least a little trouble putting something on your back if its bigger and heavier than you are?

Ok I hate pointing out tiny little bugs but I found another one that may be causing some symmetry issues with the small and normal sized can racks. Found this typo in the configs for them

// --- general parameters ---

node_attac = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2

node_stack_top = -0.035, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Now I checked the Large rack, which works perfect and found that section had ONE tiny bit extra:

// --- general parameters ---

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 2

node_stack_top = -0.035, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Made the changes to the small and normal size and I am now testing them.

EDIT - I can now confirm that the config typo was the source of the symmetry problems.

Edited by JewelShisen

Ok I hate pointing out tiny little bugs but...

It's users pointing out the tiny little bugs that is a developer's biggest help. Mind you, I wouldn't call this "a tiny little bug" but rather "a whopper of a critical bug" (with a tiny little fix).

I've just entered into the process of ensuring optimal compatability between HexCans and the Modular Fuel System, the very first thing I found is that MFS ships with a set of alterations to HexCans that are... ill advised at best.

Liquid Barite canisters will be empty to begin with, you must manually put LB into them.

Xenon is ignored.

All Liquid canisters can now contain Monopropellant and Xenon.

Oxy canisters are now LFO canisters only worse.

MFS attempts to make all the canisters more adaptable by permitting additional resources, but balances how much they can contain by a uniform volume density.

This is problematic because all of the HexCans are (grouped by size) the same volume, they contain different amounts because resources are not uniform volume densities.

As such, the Mono HexCan contains less because 1 unit of Mono takes up more volume; but MFS then assumes the quantiy of resource to reflect the volume of the tank.

Resulting in the Mono large canister having less MFS-volume than the LFO large canister.

This is fine so long as the canister only contains Mono but MFS creates the option for it to not.

Also several containers how have mysterious tiny amounts of unfilled space.

If you want things to work correctly I highly suggest you go in and delete the HexCans_modularFuelTanks.cfg file located in /GameData/ModularFuelTanks/, for the time being this does mean that you will not be able to adjust contents, but it does mean you won't have to fix several of them every time you use them.

I am working on making MFS support built in though I haven't found any functional documentation yet and it is a lot of files to process once I know what I'm doing.

I got them to work yesterday, it's not super great, trying to figure out how to make the colliders harder and then I need to do all of the balancing and texture work and maybe make a plugin. It's once again too hot to run KSP so I'm limited in what I can do, the MFS thing should just be a bunch of cfg editing and then one test run to make sure it works.

PS, in case anybody wants it for whatever reason, these are the specs of the Normal hexcan, small is half size, large is double size

rDahY0f.png

Edited by Greys

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.