Anomaly on Minimus

So I was there. Checked with Mapsat. Landed with rover (worked pretty well, I have to say. Using SAS instead of a - useless - ASAS gave a lot of stability). Drove around like crazy. Checked the coordinates (kerbalmaps). All I could think of.

But I didn't find it. Exact coordinates. Should be there.

Ok, so there was this problem with strange coordinates. Only west, no east.

Is that anomaly still there? Was I just not thorough enough?

Edited by Tokay Gris

I've sent two missions to find this anomaly, one in 0.19 and one in 0.20.2. Both came back without finding it, and neither looking below ground nor above ground yielded any results.

And yes, I'm quite definite I had the right coordinates.

P.S. Reading that old forum... Oh, it's in orbit! No wonder. Guess I can't plant a flag there then, I'll have to send a probe to hower around it...

Edited by Mihara

Hm... but the funny thing is: It says the anomaly is in a geostationary orbit. Which it must be, otherwise the location would change.

But the geostationary orbit for Minimus is something like 358 km.

That means that this anomaly is actually not reachable, since it is in an orbit you can't reach... or at least not get into with the same speed as the anomaly.

Or am I wrong here?

Like I said , it is NOT in orbit like the wiki says. Its altitude is just raised very high above the surface as if there was a huge mountain there for it to sit on, but there isn't a mountain so it just floats above the surface (if that makes any sense).

Is it a solid entity? Could you, in theory, use KAS' grappling hook to anchor onto it, assuming you could get close enough to it?

Actually, all anomalies are of type "STRUCTURE" as far as I know, though the collision meshes on them can be quite bizarre. I'm pretty definite you can plant a KAS hook into the Face, at least, while at the same time, being able to walk through some of it's parts but not all of them. :)

So that might be an option, yeah, but so is EVAing to it and planting a flag directly on it. I'm not even sure which would be easier.

Someone know a updated list of all the anomalies? No need for the cords but I want to know how many there is. The Wiki is not updated and the cords list is not complete what I know of.

Exampel: The Wiki dont say anything about the giant track marks on M*****

Edited by XerZin

Exampel: The Wiki dont say anything about the giant track marks on M*****

Because they aren't "anomalies", though they are interesting. An "anomaly" in it's most general usage in KSP is what ISA MapSat defines as "anomaly" when mapping. I have no clue which particular game data structures it looks at to produce it's list, but terrain features like these are not on it -- neither is the picture in Kerbin oceans. Things like the monument to Mk1 command pod behind the VAB are. I am not sure why the Tylo anomaly is one when it is not actually an object of comparable scale or type, though, but most probably it is there specifically to make it easier for people to find what is actually a terrain feature. One of the anomalies on Duna is actually not a structure either.

To answer your question more precisely though, I am currently fairly certain that there are exactly 8 such anomalies on the Mun, (and I've got flags next to each) 1 anomaly on Minmus, 3 anomalies on Duna. There are a bunch on Kerbin itself, quite a few within close vicinity of the space center, but I can't be sure I scanned out all of them.

It says the anomaly is in a geostationary orbit... But the geostationary orbit for Minimus is something like 358 km.
This is not anomalous behavior for something called an "anomaly." :D And not all of the monoliths are solid. If I recall correctly, Nova said they meant to make them ALL solid a few updates ago but overlooked some.

• 10 months later...
Nope, the object is not solid. Though the last time I checked was back in .19.1...

I came across this monolith without reading in here beforehand that it was floating above the surface, SCANsat had reported it so I went to have a look. I can report that it is now firmly attached to the surface of Minmus.

23 46 49 N

59 58 18 E

• 3 months later...
I came across this monolith without reading in here beforehand that it was floating above the surface, SCANsat had reported it so I went to have a look. I can report that it is now firmly attached to the surface of Minmus.

23 46 49 N

59 58 18 E

I noticed the thing on my SCANsat map, but I couldn't find it for the life of me in .23.5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.