KASDA mission log | Y108, D327 | Endgame: escaping Eve, conclusion (FINAL MISSION)

Pipcard

Mission 65: Moon Princess 7+8

Description & objective: A pair of satellites to be placed in polar orbits around the Mun and Minmus by an upper propulsive stage, and scan for ore sites for an ISRU technology demonstration mission.

Mass: 765 kg x 2

Launch vehicle: Kappa

T02mjuD.png

xxyj5Dm.png

Click below to see more:
https://imgur.com/a/QNgA2

Introducing the Kappa reusable booster system. No, it's not a reference to the Twitch emoticon, it's more of an homage to how the Japanese space program names its rockets after Latin or Greek letters. Also, "K" for Kerbal. In real life, Kappa was already the name of a sounding rocket, but here, it's the name of a launcher that has been tested to carry almost 20 tonnes of payload into low Kerbin orbit - a 19 ton propellant tanker, for example - with first stage reuse (Mechjeb and Flight Manager for Reusable Stages were used for this).

*edit: I was thinking of propellant tankers launched from Kerbin, before I decided to have a depot serviced by tankers from a Minmus mine.

zFFLOM7.png

(Okay, it's finally back. I was also busy watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on Netflix. Great series. I was going to do this and upload it yesterday, but SpaceX had an accident.)

Edited by Pipcard

Thanks, originally it was going to be called "Kuji" (like Mt. Fuji) but I decided to change it.

Mission 66: World is Mine

Description & objective: A robotic ISRU (In-Situ Resource Utilization) demonstration mission, with drills and an ISRU converter unit. The mission profile is to land on Minmus, refuel, transfer to and land on the Mun, refuel again, then return back to Minmus.

Mass: 17960 kg

RgxjhNs.png

Hl1dvkj.png

o6PzBoN.png

Click below to see more:
https://imgur.com/a/DbT9u
Edited by Pipcard

Mission 67: Negi Star flight 01

Description & objective: A reusable spaceplane with a maximum capacity of eight passengers, that can also function autonomously. It is meant as a low Kerbin orbit shuttle, for short trips to space stations or other spacecraft. It also functions as a self-contained second stage. This is a flight to test launch, orbital operations, re-entry, and landing.

(I could have gone with Hitchhiker modules again but I wanted something less bulky-looking for an LKO shuttle)

Mass at launch: 15190 kg (8590 kg dry)

Crew: Valentina & Jebediah Kerman

(I had to manually add Val to the persistence file because this has been the same persistence file ever since I started this)

(eorin's update for Kerbpaint was used.)

rIElAe9.png

9fGkcEj.png

Click below to see more:

Edited by Pipcard

Mission 68: Mirai core module

Description & objective: The first module of Mirai, KASDA's new space station project in low Kerbin orbit. It has three Clamp-O-Tron Jr's for crewed spacecraft dockings, and a larger Clamp-O-Tron Sr for more rigid connections between station modules. The fuel tank is purely structural and does not contain any propellant. Target orbit is 139 x 139 km.

Mass: 12770 kg

Mission 69: Negi Star flight 02

Description & objective: A flight of the Negi Star spaceplane carrying eight crewmembers to the Mirai station.

Crew: Tamy, Wilke, Nataly, Newmin, Guslas, Marxy, Henry, and Leete Kerman

Mission 70: Mirai node 01

Description & objective: A module with five Clamp-O-Tron Sr's that other modules can attach to - docks to the Mirai Core module.

Mass: 7820 kg

OObpwGw.png

vqi54YS.png

ffHk90y.png

Click below to see more:
https://imgur.com/a/FjGPR
Edited by Pipcard

Mission 71: Mirai S0 truss

Description & objective: A rigid truss structure that attaches to Mirai node 01.

Mass: 6390 kg

Mission 72+73: Mirai S1 + P1 truss

Description & objective: Two truss segments (with some radiators) that attach to each end of the S0 truss.

Mass: 4790 kg each

Mission 74+75: Mirai P2 + S2 truss

Description & objective: Two truss segments (with large solar arrays and more radiators) that attach to the S1 and P1 trusses.

Mass: 9680 kg each

(mods used: Near Future Construction for the trusses, TweakScale for the 2x size Gigantor solar panels, and Asteroid Day for the large OX-STAT panels)

z5G5eMv.png

Click below to see more:
https://imgur.com/a/Km9fG
Edited by Pipcard

Mission 76: Mirai lab 01

Description & objective: A laboratory module with a cupola (attaches to node 01)

Mass at launch: 11070 kg

Mission 77: Mirai node 02

Description & objective: A second node module (attaches to node 01)

Mass at launch: 7580 kg

Mission 78: Mirai lab 02

Description & objective: A lab with an exposed experiment facility (attaches to node 02)

Mass at launch: 8600 kg

Mission 79: Mirai lab 03

Description & objective: A magnetic spectrometer to detect unusual matter (attaches to node 01)

Mass at launch: 5350 kg

Mission 80: Mirai lab 04

Description & objective: An experimental inflatable module (attaches to node 02)

Mass at launch: 6560 kg

(used Habitat Pack)

Mission 81: Negi Star flight 03

Description & objective: Second Negi Star spaceplane launch to Mirai Station, bringing the total crew number to 16.

Crew: Mitrid, Hermy, Magelyn, Milsted, Lisdia, Lemfrid, Stelrys, and Patwin Kerman

Mission 82: Negi Star flight 04

Description & objective: Final Negi Star spaceplane launch to Mirai Station, bringing the total crew number to 24.

Crew: Harsey, Aldely, Daphbe, Seezer, Kelvan, Leia, Seanuki, and Loemone Kerman

Mirai Station - final stats:

403 parts

121810 kg

fVVj69w.png

TSR5WkQ.png

Click below to see more:

(I was planning on expanding this station, basically doubling the structure and its crew to 48 [which is why I was using the pressurized trusses from Near Future Construction], but I somehow forgot that everything would be extremely slow with hundreds of parts.)

Edited by Pipcard

This is excellent! That's a mighty impressive station. I always stalled out on big station builds, but this makes me really want to start building one again. Also, I am in love with the look of that crew shuttle. I'm not always a fan of painted parts, but the green and white color scheme looks awesome!

This is excellent! That's a mighty impressive station. I always stalled out on big station builds, but this makes me really want to start building one again. Also, I am in love with the look of that crew shuttle. I'm not always a fan of painted parts, but the green and white color scheme looks awesome!

Thanks, I wanted it to make it look like there were three giant leeks docked to the station.

edit: in comparison, Futurelab had 193 parts and a mass of 55160 kg. (I still have an older version of KSP)

Edited by Pipcard

Mission 83: Snow Fairy 1

Description & objective: KASDA's first mission to Eeloo - a low polar orbital probe carrying several scientific instruments, a long-range antenna, and a high-delta-v upper stage.

Mass at launch: 10295 kg (2295 kg dry)

(I haven't done an Eeloo mission yet because I was anticipating Gas Planet 2. But that never happened. I thought this would be the perfect time to do it.)

IBGpRFU.png

GyVaiQx.png

Click below to see more:

Edited by Pipcard

Also: Don't forget the classic: always slap on an extra (cheap) battery... and shut it off, in case you use the others up due to exactly this type of error!

(Or shut off the battery in the capsule/probe core.)

I do this every time now - and ironically, the act of carrying this out means I hardly ever need to use it any more because the next thought is invariably, "Ah - that reminds me: remember to turn your craft/open your solar panels!"

:sticktongue:

Mission 84: WiM-2 (Miner)

Description & objective: Minmus ore miner and refinery unit.

Mass at launch: 20120 kg

Mission 85: WiM-3 (Depot)

Description & objective: A large propellant depot to be launched to a 100 km orbit around Kerbin.

Mass: 12180 kg (dry), 87180 kg (theoretical max with 72mT liquid fuel/oxidizer + 3mT monopropellant)

Mission 86: WiM-4 (Tanker)

Description & objective: A reusable tanker to ferry propellant from Minmus to the LKO depot.

Mass: 9190 kg (dry) + 24000 kg (transfer propellant) + 19000 kg (refuelling propellant: 16mT + 3mT) = 52190 kg

I've started to use HyperEdit (only for testing and not the actual missions, of course) as well as TAC Fuel Balancer (it does work in 1.0.4) and Trajectories.

Important news: it has been decided that new bases, designed for a higher crew capacity, will be built to replace Futurebase.

1EkisIR.png

mHQKvaZ.png

M81QMxp.png

zuPxhCe.png

world_is_mine_1_by_redjuice999.jpg

(by redjuice999)

Click below to see more:

Edited by Pipcard

• 1 month later...

Mission 87: Hope Kibo Base 1a (note: retroactively named MIKU-01)

Description & objective: A habitation module for a Minmus base - designed with a wide area and lower center of gravity for higher stability. (note: MIKU = Mobile Interplanetary Kolonization Unit)

Mass at launch: 8575 kg (18404 kg with tug)

(used Taurus HCV - Omnibus Crew Container)

Mission 88: Hope Kibo Base 1b (note: retroactively named MIKU-02)

Description & objective: Another habitation module for a Minmus base.

Mass at launch: 8770 kg (18599 kg with tug)

Mission 89: Moon Rabbit 3

Description & objective: A reusable LKO-Minmus lander that utilizes the WiM-3 propellant depot.

Mass at launch: 12830 kg (partially fueled; full mass is 20830 kg)

Mission 90: Negi Star flight 05

Description & objective: Six-crew transfer to Moon Rabbit 3, then to Minmus

Crew: Melrys, Shepsby, Derrigh, Dottie, Kathllian, and Doodrim Kerman

Wtsc2WJ.png

iGZrg2H.png

igCrpJZ.png

Click below to see more:

Edited by Pipcard

(Bonus images)

The Omnibus-class habitation module provides for more spacious living, ideal for a permanent base. (larger version)

842xzqS.png

Dottie Kerman, an engineer, travels to the mining unit. (larger version)

SL71mNg.png

With a Kerbal like her, extraction and conversion is made much more efficient. (larger version)

0FulZAT.png

Edited by Pipcard

• 4 weeks later...

Mission 91: Project DIVA 2nd - Duna Transfer Module

(Designing Interplanetary Vehicle Architecture)

Description & objective: The first part of KASDA's manned Duna mission - this is where the astronauts will live in during the interplanetary transfers. It docks at the WiM-3 propellant depot for refueling.

Mass at launch: 15925 kg dry (but with monopropellant); 55580 kg refueled

Mission 92: Negi Star flight 06

Description & objective: Four-crew transfer to PjD 2nd.

Crew: Jebediah, Valentina, Bill, and Bob Kerman

Mission 93: Project DIVA 2nd - Duna Lander Module

Description & objective: The second part - a habitat that lands on Duna, and has a small rover and surface science package.

Mass at launch: 17953 kg

nO4AfMU.png

G9ahIws.png

Click below to see more:

Edited by Pipcard

Mission 94: Project DIVA 2nd

Description & objective: The Transfer Module + Lander Module travel from Kerbin to Low Duna orbit. The crew uses the lander as a surface habitat until an efficient launch window from Duna to Kerbin occurs. Afterwards, the crew makes a rendezvous with the Transfer module to return to Kerbin (the Lander is expended to save mass). They arrive back at the depot, transfer to the Negi Star spaceplane, then re-enter and land back at KSC.

Wet mass: 73533 kg

U4ynBjj.png

cSmQGE4.png

Click below to see more:

Edited by Pipcard

• 6 months later...
On 10/2/2015 at 5:34 AM, Pipcard said:

Mission 94: Project DIVA 2nd

Description & objective: The Transfer Module + Lander Module travel from Kerbin to Low Duna orbit. The crew uses the lander as a surface habitat until an efficient launch window from Duna to Kerbin occurs. Afterwards, the crew makes a rendezvous with the Transfer module to return to Kerbin (the Lander is expended to save mass). They arrive back at the depot, transfer to the Negi Star spaceplane, then re-enter and land back at KSC.

Wet mass: 73533 kg

U4ynBjj.png

cSmQGE4.png

Moar?

I would like to, but there were a combination of things:

- my current PC can only run KSP on low graphics settings and low FPS, which was detrimental to my enjoyment when playing. I am planning on getting a new PC this summer, and might continue to play on 1.0.5 for this once that happens seeing that 1.1 is likely to actually break my save this time.

- I was busy doing other stuff (like projects for Orbiter, school work, etc. - but I wanted to do that Duna mission to coincide with the release of The Martian movie)

Also, I regret this but I had tried to migrate all my images to imgur after imageshack became really terrible and started deleted all of their old images, but when the new forum updated, the posts per page had been doubled. I was too lazy to convert all of the posts that I had migrated so far into a imgur slideshow post, and so the images from missions 35-41 are lost forever. I am very sorry for this. I have the images starting from Mission 42 stored on my PC.

Edited by Pipcard

• 1 year later...

It's been two years since I last did anything with KASDA (sorry, I haven't restored the images from Missions 42+ yet). I got a new computer that's capable of running all the fancy visual enhancement mods last year. I recently tested my save on KSP 1.3, and it mostly works (I had to fiddle around with the .sfs file, specifically for one of the Near Future Construction truss parts), except for Kerbpaint (there's a test release that works for 1.2.2 but not for all the parts, and there's some weird shadow glitches); sadly, this means that Negi Star loses everything that makes it a Negi. The reason why I haven't been doing anything is because I've been lacking motivation on what to do in between those epic crewed interplanetary missions. They were supposed to be the major milestones, and only doing a couple of missions in between in which I simply add modules to bases on Minmus or the Mun made everything feel somewhat empty and meaningless. This thread started when KSP had no official career mode, so this was basically a pseudo-career of what I thought was a natural progression. But not doing any contracts, or actually obtaining science points, also felt meaningless.

Lately, I had been thinking of adding challenge and complexity by using RoverDude's USI Modular Kolonization System and Life Support Mods, to make base construction more meaningful and rewarding (i.e. actually having to work with resource mining, logistics, and supply chains in order to get a self-sustaining colony; not just dropping some crew containers down, docking them together, moving 39 kerbals in, and saying that you've colonized the place). I've also been watching some of Wiseman's "Multiplanetary Species" series to learn and be inspired.The problem is, I'm not sure how to go about this.

Should I:

Add MKS and USI Life Support to my current save, starting with Mission 95?

pro: more challenging, functionally meaningful, and rewarding end goals (when it comes to base building and colonization) - especially when there's no career mode (however, this may be less tedious than having to do it in career mode); eventually being able to launch things from Minmus instead of Kerbin; more meaningful operations such as having to periodically rotate crews on a station or base and send resupply ships (until the colony is self-sufficient) like a real crewed spaceflight program

con: everything may become more tedious because of MKS (lots of missions to build the Minmus colony and colonies on other worlds may become boring); all the added mass needed for life support and habitation space, especially on interplanetary missions, makes the addition of the mod seem very inconsistent with KASDA's prior missions (for example, having only two Hitchhiker modules on the Duna mission would have resulted in the 4-kerbal crew becoming homesick [functionally the same as tourists] if I had MKS and USI-LS installed - even if the ship had enough supplies)

Start all over again (reboot the whole thing), but in career mode with MKS and USI Life Support?

pro: same pro as above, but also with a consistent history and the feel of a genuine space program that has to earn money and research things

con: having to start all over again (especially if I want to be more realistic and use a mod that lets you start with probes instead of crew capsules), lose all the progress I had made with KASDA, possibly repeat every mission, and spend even more time to get to all the epic projects; MKS/USI-LS may become tedious as mentioned before, and having to follow contracts and earn money will add even more to the tedium (should I document every single rescue mission and tourism flight that I do?).

(alternatively, I can start all over but give myself the money and science points to get straight to the colonization process, but then you lose the "look how far we've come" feeling)

Do something else with the current save?

KSP Interstellar Extended? Outer Planets Mod? Both? Anything else? Civilian Population (for 1.2)?

pro: adds interesting new gameplay options with less risk of the gameplay becoming too tedious; Civilian Population parts look epic like an actual, fully-realized colony (but need super-huge rockets unless you use Extraplanetary Launchpads, which seems a bit OP compared to MKS's system - however, you can save on tedium).

con: early versions of base building and "colonization" still feel meaningless without MKS (however, Civilian Population does have a food mechanic); what should I do in between crewed interplanetary exploration missions other than simply adding a couple of modules to an early base?

Trying to think here... Make up an arbitrary crew rotation mission? Launch more probes to other planets? Build up a new communications network?

Edited by Pipcard

Okay, I just reuploaded the images for mission 43-57. Again, I was too lazy to backup missions 35-42 before imageshack deleted them, so I apologize for that. Also, the links in the table of contents of the first post should be working again.

edit: I guess maybe not, as some just take you to the bottom of the page for some reason.

Edited by Pipcard

New Worlds, New Challenges

As four kerbals were returning home from the first crewed mission to Duna, a massive change in the universe had taken place.

8QFpKod.png

Everything looked more vivid and detailed.

Spoiler

thanks to EVE + Scatterer + SVE

blkSFug.png

Spoiler

This is 1.1.3 - the latest version for which Kerbpaint works for (almost) all the parts without any shadow glitches. KASDA is likely to be frozen at this version. I tried installing Tweakscale but for some reason the interior models became backward. Let's just pretend Mirai's solar panels have always been like that.

28 years on Kerbin had passed since the launch of KASDA's first satellite, and it now orbited a Kerbin that was even more beautiful than before.

U7vHhMJ.png

What excited KASDA even more was that there seemed to be four new distant dots in the sky. Four new planets beyond Jool. They would come to be named by astronomers as Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, and Plock.

But Eeloo was seemingly gone.

ad4TV0c.png

Spoiler

Note that not all of the spacecraft from previous save files have survived - let's also pretend they're still orbiting or sitting out there.

But they received a signal. It was from their Snow Fairy probe that had been sent to Eeloo. Eeloo was now a moon of Sarnus, so they already had a probe "for free" in the Sarnus system.

WSTMUeu.png

The data that Snow Fairy 1 could collect about this new planet was limited, as Snow Fairy 1's instruments were only meant to analyze Eeloo. But Sarnus seemed to have a massive ring around it, never before seen in the Kerbin system.

Spoiler

I am now using Outer Planets Mod + Pood's OPM-VO

"If only these planets had existed from the beginning," many kerbals thought. They also felt that the Kerbol system was more "complete" now. The advent of these new worlds would also bring a change to KASDA's operations. Over 29 years, KASDA only focused on one mission at a time, to fully ensure the safety and success of the mission.* It took several years to get Snow Fairy** 1 to the original Eeloo. These new planets would take even longer to get to (however, they could possibly get there somewhat faster by expending more delta-v). This would mean that they would have to operate other missions as spacecraft traveled to these new outer planets. And keep better track of time as well.

Spoiler

*By that I mean being able to quicksave and reload to the beginning of the mission.

**Snow Fairy was the name reserved for the probe to the farthest planet from Kerbol. Now it would have to be used for the new farthest planet.

Edited by Pipcard

Missions 95+96+97: Song Princess 1, 2, and 3

Description & objective: Next-generation communications satellites (using a large-scale satellite bus) to replace the old network of Songbird satellites in kerbisynchronous orbit.

Mass (each): 6255 kg dry, 18755 kg wet

Launch vehicle: Kappa-1a

Launch dates:

Year 29, Day 342 (Song Princess 1)
Year 29, Day 343 (Song Princess 2)
Year 29, Day 344 (Song Princess 3)

vUIJO4Z.png

YadWk2L.png

(Kappa-1a, with SpaceY legs)

kp4wZYb.png

Click below to see more:

https://imgur.com/a/mv6xJ

Edited by Pipcard

Missions 98+99+100: Song Princess 4, 5, and 6

Description & objective: Identical to the first three Song Princess satellites, these synchronous orbit satellites are meant to provide constant communication with any kerbals on Minmus.

Mass (each): 6255 kg dry, 18755 kg wet

Launch vehicle: Kappa-1a

Launch dates:

Year 29, Day 345 (Song Princess 4)
Year 29, Day 357 (Song Princess 5)
Year 29, Day 367 (Song Princess 6)

Y1xTzgL.png

9lUmyIi.png

Click below to see more:

https://imgur.com/a/GMUuF

[I could've done something more interesting for mission 100, but that would mean wasting time until a planetary transfer window opened up. Also, this is like a new start for this series.]

Edited by Pipcard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.