How many plays "for real - with conscience"?

EasyAce

Most of the time, I like to have mostly probes, with Kerbals limited to extremely tested vehicles, or inside Kerbin's SOI for easy rescue missions.

Usually, getting stranded in Kerbol orbit is a death sentence, because I am not skilled enough to dock like that.

As of right now, I have only landed Kerbals safely, and returned safely on a few planets. But I think that its the most fun way, and games like this are just to squeeze out enough enjoyment as possible, not a set guideline.

So, yes, I like to keep my Kerbals safe.

Any society that has evolved a quicksave/restore function has evolved away their conscience. There are only two crimes on the books on Kerbin, neglecting to occasionally hit F5 (punishable by death), and failure to make your death look awesome (punishable by making you do it over until Jeb approves).

My conscience for kerbals died when bugs killed so many of them. It's hard to feel any guilt when physics engine glitches kill your rare named kerbals and you don't feel like undoing hours of work to restore save and get them back.

I try to keep all my spacecraft safe. Even when I am launching a station into orbit, I know it will have no need of a parachute but I slap one on anyways just in case it fails to reach orbit. :) Sometimes I fail to reach orbit however and my ships end up orbiting the Sun. I can't help but imagine that poor Kerbal, dying alone, cold and hungry. ;.;

Returning the kerbals to KSC is a fun goal, simply because it poses many separate challenges. The last of which is trying to build a rescue plane which can rescue kerbals from either land or ocean, and has a range great enough to rescue kerbals from anywhere on the planet and return to KSC. Preferably travelling at mach 6 the whole time.

As this first week of KSP commences, I have been able to keep my Kerbals safe by starting out with small test designs and building on to them. So far, no explosions on the pad. Have had some aborted that failed to get off the pad. Before adding braces to my Vanguard Orbiter, it broke apart at burnout on the first stage. Fortunately for Jeb, it was still suborbital and the capsule was brought in for a safe landing. In its second successful flight in long elliptical orbit to the orbit of the second Kerbal moon, the return path was influenced by the Mum and ejected the ship to escape velocity to the orbit of Duna. Since the third stage has a nearly full fuel tank, I feel that Jeb could have made it back home but would have had to stay in space for a few years before I could get him close enough for a Kerbal encounter and landing.

For reentry, I try to aim for a 15,000 meter window. That way, the aerobraking is gentle enough to hold down the G forces to safe levels.

Currently, I am working on probe rockets to Mum and other planets for one way trips. Then, when their safe return is proven possible, I will send Kerbals on the same mission.

Same as many here, I use 2 saves "trials" and "Conquest". Sometimes, I don't just try the design, I go through the whole mission in "trials". And if it works fine, I redo it in "Conquest". Twice the work but barely any casualties.

I tried having this policy but the "cannot switch vessels while...." (in atmosphere, in motion, etc) check often makes it impossible to get out of the game any other way other than ending the flight. I.e. if I have a kerbal stuck on a wheeled house that's in motion and the controls a broken so I can't stop it, and the house is in a dip so it keeps rolling back and forth, I can't say "well I need a rescue mission to get this guy saved" because the game refuses to allow me to leave behind that particular vessel without ending its flight and deleting the problem. The only real option other than ending the flight is CTRL-ALT-DEL -> Task Manager -> Kill KSP.

I'm definitely two saves category, although ever since I designed myself a reliable series of lifters, I've found myself using it less and less. Although I haven't gone as far as installing Deadly Re-entry or life support yet, I used have permadeath enabled. I say 'used to' because I lost an entire six man crew a while ago when I found out that the second stage parachutes for the Orion capsule (Bobcat's American pack, I use that pod for virtually all of my crewed missions) didn't actually slow the pod down at all, and ended up splashing down at ~40m/s. Due to things like that and certain bugs (like ships exploding when switching between one another), I've since turned it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not take risks with kerbal lives. It became even more important when I added ioncross life support. As of .20.x I have not lost a kerbal life in space and only on kerbin in simulations so not real deaths. :D

Almost all of my ships are kerballed. However, most of them also have ejection mechanisms in case some thing goes wrong, so that they may survive any mispressed buttons (forgetting to turn on ASAS) any kerbals that may die, are revived with the help of quick save.

It's not a primary goal of mine, but I don't go out of my way to kill the little non-existent digital guys. Jeb already came back from the dead once, I'm sure he'll do it again.

Of course, when the crew complex arrives I'll see what that adds to the sandbox and adjust accordingly.

I have abort systems where possible, and amazingly, I rarely have significant accidents. However, I did recently lose *sniff* 2 Kerbals in a plane crash on the way back from the North Polar ice sheet (pilot error, the plane itself was fine until it crashed). Those 2 Kerbals are the first casualties in a long time for me.

Small message to the OP and all the people that care:

This is a game.

ROFLMAO. Yes we know. But it's fun to pretend. I mean that's why we play. :)

The same thread was asked in the Skyrim forum about killing off your followers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.