[0.20.2] Mission Controller v0.10 (06/24/2013) [ALPHA]

nobody44

Speaking of fines - I think you should introduce fines on behalf of GreenPeace for every debris left in orbit during the mission (this one is easy - save all debris that existed at the beggining of the mission, then upon completion check if there are any new debris that is in stable orbit), and perhaps for anything dropped over land (this one might be tricky to implement though) :)

Also - would it be possible to implement missions that would require player to put certain vessel (that is shipped with the mission pack as .craft file) into certain orbit? This would be much more like IRL ComSat missions - right now you can complete this mission even with single probe body and some battery, without antennas/solar panels...

Edited by asmi

Speaking of fines - I think you should introduce fines on behalf of GreenPeace for every debris left in orbit during the mission

Green peace has no issue with space debris. Its not going to affect the wild life on Kerbin in any way. I think this takes care of itself. If you leave something in orbit, you cannot recycle it at the end of mission. There is an incentive to de-orbit AND land safely used stages. I have spend good hour yesterday figuring out how to make sure that my first stage lands safely, so that I can recycle it.

Now Nuke engines, that is a different story. Especially if they are a part of a stage that crashes back onto the surface( or burns up in the atmosphere), that would irradiate a large area.

I know you have PartGoal's, but what about PartRestriction .. that way you can restrict the use of certain parts.. things like Nuclear Engines or number of certain parts or limit to a number of parts for the vessel.

I think you can already do that partially using "maxPartCount" in the part goal. So if you don't want someone to use a particular part you can set that to 0 in the part goal. Not sure if you can define the total number of parts allowed.

I think you can already do that partially using "maxPartCount" in the part goal. So if you don't want someone to use a particular part you can set that to 0 in the part goal. Not sure if you can define the total number of parts allowed.

Oh! Thank you, I didn't realize that :)

Awesome mod. Sandbox is great an all but sometimes its nice to have limits on what you can build and build within those limits. I tried making my own limits and goals but It still felt a little hollow upon completion. Its awesome to have something track costs and earnings for me. THANK YOU!!! :)

Cool idea with the Client Controlled Flights!

Would give a nice extra Layer to NT Space Program.

Ok I have a Question for the "MC Mission Maker Community" where to set our Tabus ?

Right now I'm layering out Part 2 of the NT Space Program and I would like for the lvl 2 Prestige Mission to let the Player build a Mun Base. So far so good. Since, at least at the moment, there is no way to detect another Vessel in the vicinity I have to give a Location where to Land the Base Vessels, there are only a small amount of people out there which are able to dock on a planets surface; most are still struggling with Space Docking.

So now there are certain "places" which would be really interesting, first to discover and then to have a base nearby. Mun Arches per example.

So the question is should we consider Easter Eggs a general no go? Or should we say ok there is this 1 Mun Arch which is prominent enough that we all use and the rest stays as a no go.

My Personal thoughts are that in general the Easter Eggs should be avoided. BUT as a teaser to find more could we use one ? :)

So what you guys think ?

@nobody44

It looks really good!

I'm author of http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mission-pack/ (not compatibile with 0.20). In mine plugin I implemented limited parts count (editor was changed in 0.20, so i'm not sure if it would work better or worse now).

Do you think that you could add option of setting avaiable parts? Even some GUI for that? (GUI was something i really wanted to have when I designed missions in mine plugin).

In mine plugin I implemented limited parts count (editor was changed in 0.20, so i'm not sure if it would work better or worse now). Do you think that you could add option of setting available parts?

Hy, great mod you build there; even if i never got the mission making to work, but your missions where fun :)

Directly you can't do this at the moment. But there is a workaround for that i did it at some missions in the NT Space Program. You simple need to set the partcount for the not allowed stuff to 0. kinda blacklist.

but true a whitelist would be a nice add on, and would enable to build a Tech-Tree; without a mile long textfile ,)

And another plus would be that it would also catch addon-parts (novapunch, etc). right at the moment it would be impossible to catch them with a blacklist.

Hi,

I uploaded a new version, 0.6. As I said with client controlled and passive missions, see documentation on github if you want to create those kind of missions.

Have fun!

@nobody44

It looks really good!

I'm author of http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mission-pack/ (not compatibile with 0.20). In mine plugin I implemented limited parts count (editor was changed in 0.20, so i'm not sure if it would work better or worse now).

Do you think that you could add option of setting avaiable parts? Even some GUI for that? (GUI was something i really wanted to have when I designed missions in mine plugin).

A user suggested a research like resource (like a budget). Problem with your approach: You have to name them manually.

And it is really restrictive in contrast to KSP itself. Actually, I like the approach "We don't care *how* you finish this mission, just do it.", like it is now.

The research like resource would still give you the option to use whatever you want, but big parts (which contain a lot of fuel) and efficient engines would cost much more when you don't have enough research points. If you do have enough research points, it is the normal cost.

Do you mean something like "You are not allowed to have more than 20 parts on that vessel?".

Actually, I like the approach "We don't care *how* you finish this mission, just do it.", like it is now.

I understand that, that is why it should be optional. You could have missions in your way, but you also could have campaign in "mine" way.

It would be usefull for:

- tutorial like campaing (don't start with lots of parts - its confusing)

- challenge - like missions ( for example make SSTO without any decouplers, go to orbit without rocket engines, etc )

You have to name them manually

That is why i'm asking for GUI for that :).

Ok, I love all the changes. They are a good thing. But the pace of change is preventing anyone from publishing proper mission packs. I had a series of "kapollo" mission worked out last night based on the IonCross mod. They now seem very dated because they do not incorporate passive or client-controlled mission. So back to the drawing board I go. A week or two of stability would allow mission creators to generate the content needed to push this to the next level.

Ioncross+passive missions = proper space station missions.

Ok, I love all the changes. They are a good thing. But the pace of change is preventing anyone from publishing proper mission packs. I had a series of "kapollo" mission worked out last night based on the IonCross mod. They now seem very dated because they do not incorporate passive or client-controlled mission. So back to the drawing board I go. A week or two of stability would allow mission creators to generate the content needed to push this to the next level.

They will still work just fine, release the ones you have already and then work on new ones maybe? Also these quick changes are adding many features that will give a very nice sturdy base for great work in the future. I think it is quite exciting personally.

I understand this issue :/. But as BlazingAngel said, they should work just fine. And the client controlled missions require two fields: "lifetime = TIME(...)" and "clientControlled = true", nothing more.

Do you use the Mission Manager? It makes managing the missions much easier in my opinion. Instead of one huge mpkg file you have the old mission files (*.m). The Mission Manager creates from those old mission files and some basic information a mission package file. Many files are easier to maintain in my opinion. You can download the manager from my google drive, the link is in the first post of this thread.

Well... I need to do more testing, but so far my next ideas are: Generated mission dependencies. You put a client controlled space station in orbit around Kerbin (mission 1) and the plugin generates from time to time new resupply or other missions (they depend on mission 1). But I am not sure about that one, so do not get your hopes up.

And BTW: I just noticed that client controlled and passive missions are repeatable, when you destroy the vessel or its lifetime ended. I think it is ok, I won't change it for now. Do you have any scenarios in mind, where this would ruin a mission concept?

Repeatable, client-controlled missions are ok imho, but maybe not simultaneous missions. Take Hubble as an example. Nasa flew hubble and handed it over to the scientists (the client). Nasa gets funding so long as the telescope is working. If/when it fails, the funding stops and flying a new telescope should renew that funding. But flying two telescopes simultaneously should not double the funding.

Repeatable, client-controlled missions are ok imho, but maybe not simultaneous missions. Take Hubble as an example. Nasa flew hubble and handed it over to the scientists (the client). Nasa gets funding so long as the telescope is working. If/when it fails, the funding stops and flying a new telescope should renew that funding. But flying two telescopes simultaneously should not double the funding.

I see it just like you do. And finishing a client controlled mission simultaneously is not possible for now, if repeatable = false. If repeatable = true you can repeat the mission as often as you want to, with different vessels of course.

Would it be possible to add a counter, so a mission is repeatable only a set number of times? Or add a min/max time between repeatable missions, so that you can repeat it as many times as you want, but must wait a few in-game years between missions?

That would prevent somebody from spamming a hundred client missions all at once.

Well... I need to do more testing, but so far my next ideas are: Generated mission dependencies. You put a client controlled space station in orbit around Kerbin (mission 1) and the plugin generates from time to time new resupply or other missions (they depend on mission 1). But I am not sure about that one, so do not get your hopes up.

Really like the sound of that. I understand if it turns out not to be possible though.

I also really like the idea from White Owl of having a "cooldown" on certain repeatable missions.

Loving this mod :)

Thanks for your feedback.

I made no cooldown because nobody wants to put 100 client controlled satellites in an orbit around Kerbin. Those missions are for basic income if you are low on money and can't finish the next mission. So taking that option away could cause the following situation:

* no missions that the player could finish with the currently available budget

* no repeatable missions available because on cooldown

So he can't do anything other than timewarp. That might be realistic like in real life, but I don't think that this would be fun ("Oh... well... I have to wait another xxx days for the right phaseangle to Eeloo.").

Is there some way of aborting a mission without losing the launch costs? I'm not really interested in being punished if my design doesn't work out.

Edit: for clarification, I mean that after I have launched I want to be able to 'rewind' back to the launch pad and have the costs of the launch refunded.

Edited by giltirn

Thanks for your feedback.

I made no cooldown because nobody wants to put 100 client controlled satellites in an orbit around Kerbin. Those missions are for basic income if you are low on money and can't finish the next mission. So taking that option away could cause the following situation:

* no missions that the player could finish with the currently available budget

* no repeatable missions available because on cooldown

So he can't do anything other than timewarp. That might be realistic like in real life, but I don't think that this would be fun ("Oh... well... I have to wait another xxx days for the right phaseangle to Eeloo.").

Yeah, that makes sense. I need to remember that all these type of limitations are things the player can do himself, for RP reasons or otherwise. No need to code every little thing into the plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.