[0.20.2] Mission Controller v0.10 (06/24/2013) [ALPHA]

nobody44

About the rewind suggestions: I think the current missions are fair. And even if they were not, the plugin will never stop you from launching because of missing krones. Say you failed 5 times on the launchpad. What is the big deal? Sure you lost a lot of krones, but the space program will continue and you will recover from that loss. My main purpose of this mod was to make "me" (= the user) think *before* I launch. If I implement a rewind method, everyone will use it after a failed launch. But from my point of view failed launches are part of the experience.

And failed launches should hurt (= you lost a lot of krones), but they should not make you stop progressing (= you will always be able to launch, even with -1000000 krones on your account).

Surely if you implement a rewind option then only the people who want to use it will; those that prefer to play hardcore will not? Also, if you can still build and launch ships with a negative bank balance, then is the balance itself not just a meaningless number; more like a score to show off to others rather than something that affects the game?

Surely if you implement a rewind option then only the people who want to use it will; those that prefer to play hardcore will not? Also, if you can still build and launch ships with a negative bank balance, then is the balance itself not just a meaningless number; more like a score to show off to others rather than something that affects the game?

It would be a fair amount of work for something fairly unimportant. Why do you use the plugin if you don't want consequences? That is the whole point of career mode. If you can immediately recover from anything then you have created a "sandbox" which isn't quite the point of this plugin.

It would be a fair amount of work for something fairly unimportant. Why do you use the plugin if you don't want consequences? That is the whole point of career mode. If you can immediately recover from anything then you have created a "sandbox" which isn't quite the point of this plugin.

I disagree that the whole point of career mode is to add 'consequences' to your actions. I am interested in career mode as a mode that offers challenges of ever growing complexity in which a particular problem must be solved; that of building a craft capable of doing a particular job within a particular budget, and then carrying out that task. Its a channel for creativity - it gives you a purpose that sandbox is lacking. I am not interested in being forced to grind easier challenges just to recover from some silly error; I don't want to be punished for the inevitable mistake. That is not fun for me, and I'm sure many others agree. This kind of debate has been happening for years in the gaming community, within all genres. There are 'hardcore' people who like the idea of a completely unforgiving game that lets them feel superior for having trodden where lesser mortals failed to reach. Then there are 'softcore' people who enjoy a challenge but don't want to be punished for making a mistake.

I think it's clear from HarvesteR's recent blog that they want to please both camps, and are hence allowing for 'rewinding time' while also allowing for the option to turn it off as a difficulty setting - then we can all be happy. Maybe the hardcore users can create their own forum where they can boast about their achievements and be insulated from the softcore cheaters who did not have to work so hard to accomplish those goals.

Edited by giltirn

Google Drive limits downloads on a 24h basis and your plugin is definitely popular (that's the ransom for success as we say in my country). I'd love either a mirror either some proper hosting -ie, not Google*- to download and test your plugin!

*You could put the binaries on Github. And the whole archive itself actually. I'm suggesting this since other people already do it -ie Ramon for MJ2-.

Hi,

Are there any mods that conflict with this one and prevent it from working? I have installed the MissionController folder into my GameData folder but the mod does not show up in game at all. No icon is visible in the VAN or SPH or the Space Centre either.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated :)

MIRROR: https://mega.co.nz/#!ysQjmb5b!QFR7sy6s-TDvq94ZwW9BuTCu0eV4pa5q2dQmN5tv1LQ

Sorry this took so long. Sorry if the author didn't want me to do this (I'll take it off in that case) but here's the mirror for anyone wanting this brilliant mod desperately.

Na its fine. First I shared it on mega as well, but some were not comfortable with mega, so I went with google drive. And now this fails as well :).

Now I have a second mirror on mediafire. Updated the first post as well.

About the rewind thing:

*If* I am going to implement this, it will be like the reset button: You will have to click 10 times on the button to get the *latest*, and only the *latest*, expenses back.

If I get the chance I will release a new version this evening with more icons (and better icons from blazing angel) and some bug fixes, especially the F2 button bug. And probably a configurable punishment for the death of kerbonauts.

Hi,

Are there any mods that conflict with this one and prevent it from working? I have installed the MissionController folder into my GameData folder but the mod does not show up in game at all. No icon is visible in the VAN or SPH or the Space Centre either.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated :)

Hi,

I don't know if it conflicts with any other mods. Which mods do you use? I remember something, so *maybe* it does conflict with another mod, but I made the experience that it was KSP and not my plugin. Will fix this as well.

Are you going to reconsider recycle rate for surface-landed vehicles?

I would like to plead that you increase the recycle rate for mass on dry landing to maybe 90%? I've been developing these launch vehicles very similar to SpaceX ideas where I land them right back onto the surface to save on costs, and I believe the recycle reward should be a lot higher if you're able to do this.

This'd be great for encouraging reusable vehicles. Maybe you don't have to adjust fuel prices (those are already really challenging already) but I really think that recycle rate for dry landing would be wonderful.

Yep.

The current version of ModuleManager mess with this mod for now.

Try using an older version of MM, like the one used in Deadly reentry v2.2c

;)

Thanks very much. This was indeed the problem. That one had me scratching my head :)

May I suggest a feature on the GUI to track the total amount of passive income completed missions are generating?

It might be nice to have a countdown timer telling you when payments are due next as well.

Sure, opend an issue on github :).

Are you going to reconsider recycle rate for surface-landed vehicles?

This'd be great for encouraging reusable vehicles. Maybe you don't have to adjust fuel prices (those are already really challenging already) but I really think that recycle rate for dry landing would be wonderful.

Whenever Harvester has talked about this feature in vanilla KSP, he's talked of it as a scaleable quantity - the closer you are to KSC, the greater the fraction of your construction costs you recover.

Since this (fantastic, thank you!) mod can already determine latitude and longitude then this should be technically feasible, if that's the direction nobody44 wants to go in.

For the time being, I think 75% is a reasonable trade-off - it gets the point across without any major hassle, and makes SSTO designs viable. I'd like to see a way to make TSTO and other reusable concepts pay off as well, but given the engine limitations this may not be possible. (I haven't tested a TSTO RLV with manned/probed first stage, so it may already cope with it. It certainly won't handle Shuttle SRB's and similar).

I've mentioned this already in a post where I've designed my TSTO lander to extreme efficiency (as much as I can do, at least) and if we can't mimic engine improvements and/or changing fuel prices I really really believe increasing that 75% to 90% would be reasonable. Not to mention half the time your construction cost would either be half - or even less - than fuel costs.

Well if we talke a look at real life, the only (partially) reusable that was in service turned out to be vastly more expensive than ELVs. However I agree that %%recovered should be distance-dependent since transporting stuff to KSC costs money. I think for anything within few kilometers (since we're talking about not only space planes that can easily be controlled to land at runway, but also capsules which are much harder to target precisely - I myself after numerous tries can manage only ±10 kms precision) of KSC we should be able to recover 100% of costs, and percentage should decrease as we go farther from KSC. Water landing should be further penalized as there is always some damage from water, not to mention water recovery is more expensive in terms of hardware involved (naval vessels vs truck/helicopter).

BTW this sounds like a good idea for the mission - build craft to recover something on the surface of Kerbin and bring it to KSC (using KAS for example to grab stuff). However since I play with FAR, it will be much much harder for me to build anything flight-worthy that is also able to bring stuff home, so we need to really think about balancing this. Maybe mod can detect a presence of FAR and adjust rewards? :)

Edited by asmi

Doesn't work. There's a tiny red question mark button instead of the mc button there allegedly is. And there's no default package. When I added NTspaceprogram and selected it, it wouldn't load. I used the google drive download because the mediafire download did not work.

Edited by Mocha2007

Doesn't work. There's a tiny red question mark button instead of the mc button there allegedly is. And there's no default package. When I added NTspaceprogram and selected it, it wouldn't load. I used the google drive download because the mediafire download did not work.
how to install? i cant see a icon folder!

same here. Tryed all variations, since there are two folders named PluginData and some subfolders named Plugin. But nothing works right.

The Plugin is running. But the Icon is messed up and there is no MissionPack.

Parallel installed Mods "FlightEngineer"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.