Customizable Mission Flags

jfjohnny5

What they are:

This is a collection of mission flags. They were inspired by the different mission patches that are made for various space endeavors. I wanted something that would be graphic, not screenshots. I also wanted them to be "modular" or otherwise easily customizable. You can use these to identify your mission landing sites. The devs have hinted at the possible ability to apply decals to rockets in the future, so I'm hopeful that even the less useful flags today (orbiting probe, rovers, etc) will be useful eventually for applying to launch vehicles or the payload, directly.

How many:

There are 18 flags; one for each of the bodies in the Kerbol system, including Kerbol itself, and a generic asteroid flag.

How they were made:

The planets are all in a vector art style. They were created by basically tracing over images from the Kerbal wiki using the Photoshop Pen tool - though some artistic license was taken here and there. There was no use of the Cutout filter or anything similar. All the source files are 100% manually-created vector art. The colors of each flag are representative of the planet, and closely match the colors used in the popular forum ribbons.

How to use:

You can use each flag as-is, or you can add mission-specific "extras" using an image editor like Photoshop or Gimp. The images are all PNG with transparency, so will line up very neatly.

How you use the extras is up to you, but there is a symbol representing an Orbit, and then 6 symbols representing a Base, a Capsule, a Lander, a Probe, a Rover, and a Station - these taken from KSP itself - then traced as vector images to allow resizing. They are sized and positioned so they can simply be dropped on top of the flags to line up with the Main body or one of it's Moons.

If you want to get really creative, there's plenty of space to add text for Kerbalnauts, Mission Name/Number, etc.

ZIP Download:

Curse: https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/shareables/customizable-mission-flags

Enjoy!

-jfjohnny5

Examples (shown at double size - all flags in ZIP are 256x160):

"Main" planetary body (Moho)

coUymoM.png

"Moon" of a planetary body (Mun)

eK83WVe.png

Capsule orbiting Minmus:

joYOPyV.png

Probe orbiting Laythe:

BgO8NFu.png

Lander on Eve:

uwEbY0A.png

Base on Eeloo:

Jadab1n.png

Rover on Duna:

EkdOIQ7.png

Station orbiting Dres:

WiyWlcE.png

Edited by jfjohnny5

Already did. Awaiting approval I think (my first upload).

I don't know if they fixed it yet, but I wasn't seeing any of my uploads come up, even after waiting a while for approval. I got them to show by uploading it as private, then editing it to be public. I notified the devs about it.

I don't know if they fixed it yet, but I wasn't seeing any of my uploads come up, even after waiting a while for approval. I got them to show by uploading it as private, then editing it to be public. I notified the devs about it.

Odd. You're right I think. Before I wasn't seeing anything. Now that I reuploaded as "Private" it shows up in the list of "My Add-ons" but clicking it gives a 404 Not Found error. I guess I'll wait a bit more and see.

Is there a way we could get scaled up versions of these (1600x900)? I'd love to use these as a wallpaper on my laptop. :)

Should be able to. They're all vector art, so I could output to any size really. Probably won't get to it until Monday though.

Just. Brilliant. Simple and easily customizable. Please please keep it updated with the future planets!

eidt: your pics, paint.net and 2 minutes of work:

EFXOdnb.png

Thanks man!

Edited by Initar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.