Help getting to the mun with MechJeb

This probably belongs in the "how to" section, but anyway;

Mechjeb can do a lot of stuff and is a very powerful tool, but it's meant to be just that: a tool, not a crutch. I would suggest learning how to do stuff in ksp and then after you know you are able to do it, use mechjeb(if you still want to). I haven't used it before so i can only assume here, but i would think that understanding how to move around in space, and knowing how thrust in a certain direction will change your orbit would make telling mechjeb to do those things much easier.

Agree with Sol : should be posted in the "How to...".

I hadn't dowload MJ in the 0.20, but I gess this hasn't changed from the 0.19, so :

When you want to go to the Mün, choose the Homman transfer. Adjust the path because the Homman transfer gets you on an intercept trajectory. Clic on the button.

But really, there is nothing difficult by doing this by yourself... Clic on your actual path to pop a manoeuver node, drag the prograde vector till your path cross the Mün, play around with it, you'll get your encounter for sure (gravity of the Mün is great).

Biggest thing to watch is that if you're not on the right pane in maneuver planning, it will sometimes drop your target as you click through to get to the proper transfer option. In which case you just retarget.

You don't even need the maneuver nodes to get the Mun, just wait in an equatorial orbit until the Mun rises over the horizon and start burning prograde until you have an intercept.

He's talking about using Mechjeb. 2.0.x uses a modified maneuver node system to do just about everything, including the Trans-Munar Injection burn.

For the record, Brofessional's method is the 'manual' method, which actually works quite well: If you're in an approximately 0 degree inclination orbit around 100km or so, you want to burn straight forward just a bit after Munrise occurs directly in front of you, until you show a mun encounter. That's how I did my first few mun landings in the old 0.13.3 demo... which didn't show encounters on its map yet, but Science! marches on.

Edited by Tiron

Step 1) Spend 2 minutes to learn to do it manually

Step 2) Be a glorious manpatrick

Step 3) ???

Step 4) Profit!

While I agree that doing it manually a few times before doing it with mechjeb is a good idea, that's kinda mean... and what the heck is a 'Glorious Manpatrick?'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.