I have a question regarding the construction of rovers (Munar or otherwise). When you make a rover, do you create it in the SPH first, and move the rover's save file to the VAB? When I do this, I get the style of symmetry that I like, but get odd problems in the VAB. Once I clikc my rover in the VAB, it will then rotate so that the command pod is facing up rather than horizontal...and I understand that. But say I launch my contraption and crash, it no longer lets me return to the VAB from the end mission dialogue, only return to SPH.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it's easier to build in the SPH and move to the VAB, or fuss with the symmetry of the VAB for a rover. The problem I have in the VAB is that placing wheels specifically is a PITA, and I end up having to place one at a time......

The Editor Tools mod allowed you to change symmetry modes on the fly, but 0.20 broke it and it's apparently not being updated.

I think the Subassembly Loader mod can help move craft between the SPH and VAB but I'm not sure if it works in 0.20 yet.

I really wish the devs would add symmetry mode toggling to the game. It's such a simple thing but makes a huge difference when building.

If you open up the .craft file, at the very top of the file there is a line that says which building the craft belongs to. You'll always return to this building after a flight if you don't go to space centre or tracking station.

Change this line from SPB to VAB to set your rover's home to the VAB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.