Enigma II - About as off-topic as it gets

chobit-389

All censorship is per definition a bad thing. These happen to be Squad's forums, and as such, we have no rights. It's a service they are providing us, and they are free to do as they wish with it.

All governments have certain forms of censorship to protect their interests and even the rights of people. For example, a government could easily make a list of people who are wanted for crimes and include their address, their relatives' addresses, phone numbers etcetera so that people can go find them. There's a reason they don't do that.

Although this is slightly different ofcourse, further discussion would only lead to bickering and there's no need for that here :)

From an engineering and administrative perspective, it's pretty neat. From my perspective? An awful creation. Ideas need to be shared, but the firewall has the same effect copyright has, and it is damaging everyone on an unimaginable scale.

/jokes.

I know it was kind of necessary, since the forums would explode if it wasn't in effect.

chaos and all that good stuff.

the whole "treating on my rights" was a joke, by definition the internet doesn't have laws or guide lines, meaning that forums can create what ever guide lines they want, they aren't bound by any state law that says they can't censor themselves, it is my choice to be part of the forum I'm not bound by anyone to stay here, so I don't have any saying in the matter at all. To reiterate, I don't have any problems with the censoring, I was being sarcastic when i said "censorship is a threat to my freedom."

that was all, I just felt the need to get that out of the way, I hate to leave people with the wrong idea.

Idk, this rant kind of sounds like I'm attacking, but I can assure you I'm not, just trying to explain my own stupidity.

Sorry.

[Edit]: also what Sat said about the firewall, it is a damn impressive achievement, but a terrible creation, it's kind of like the modern weapons of mass destruction, impressive, but in it self a terrible thing.

Edited by Manifest

Because it makes sense to us and converting everything would be a real pain in the behind.

I'm American too. And the system is stupid. We have a unit called a FURLONG , how was this allowed to happen?

I'm American too. And the system is stupid. We have a unit called a FURLONG , how was this allowed to happen?

As long as we don't switch to the Metric system for baking/cooking, i'm okay using either or both systems.

What's wrong with cooking using metric? I do it all the time, and my food always turns out somewhat edible. The boyfriend does it even more often, and his food is great. Metric measurements are exactly as practical as imperial ones for cooking, but truly excel at scientific and engineering applications, and make more sense in general since converting between them is remarkably easy. Frankly, keeping two separate systems like you guys do right now (even though the metric one is barely used) is outright daft.

What's wrong with cooking using metric? I do it all the time, and my food always turns out somewhat edible. The boyfriend does it even more often, and his food is great. Metric measurements are exactly as practical as imperial ones for cooking, but truly excel at scientific and engineering applications, and make more sense in general since converting between them is remarkably easy. Frankly, keeping two separate systems like you guys do right now (even though the metric one is barely used) is outright daft.

It's one of the few things that make our Country "Unique" in this day and age.

Actually, as far as i Know, the Scientific Community, the military, and a few construction Companies Use the metric system. Plain old average joes like myself use the Imperial system, and it works fine until you cross the border. So there's no real need to change it at this time.

Scientific entities are often required to convert all their findings to imperial for publishment in "Average Joe"-newspapers anyway, so it's still heavily forced upon them.

Thing is, why do you think it's better to keep two systems? It's needless complexity, and needless complexity is bad.

Scientific entities are often required to convert all their findings to imperial for publishment in "Average Joe"-newspapers anyway, so it's still heavily forced upon them.

Thing is, why do you think it's better to keep two systems? It's needless complexity, and needless complexity is bad.

I agree. The average joemurican says metric is too hard ONLY because they haven't taken the time to actually think about it. That and we're tuaght imperial units since our first years of schooling and suddenly change in middle school/high school.

Oh did i come across that way? I didn't mean that it's better, i just think (Personally) that there's no need to switch yet. Plus it wouldn't be wise to do it until we can get the next generation of people using it everyday, THEN switch the standard.

And we're on our way, but it's gonna be awhile yet.