can we separate new plugin threads by version. i.e. new thread for new version?

jheriko

what the title says.

navigating large threads from the end going backwards is not convenient, and i don't think we really gain anything practical by having huge threads all the way back to 0.1 versions of mods.

Unfortunately the forum settings don't offer any thread management options to the thread starter so unless they can be enabled then all you'd have is massive amounts of useless but unlocked threads cluttering up the releases forum.

A better solution would be a good mod hosting site, that would enable each mod to have version specific comments/bug tracker/compatibility etc.

Unfortunately I doubt the mods (moderators, not addons :P) will allow for that, since it could be considered spam by some. There is, however, the "First" button that takes you to the very first page of the thread, so that should improve your navigation. :)

I do like the idea of version-specific comments and such, maybe as an upgrade to the Spaceport... someday... However, Spaceport is having some issues for me and I don't like using it that much anymore. :mad: Why can't I upload my plugin? No idea, Spaceport gives no explanations for upload rejections...

But I agree, we could use a better plugin feedback management system.

yeah, i'm not sure i understand the objections either. unless people are spamming out versions of mods this shouldn't become spam... the benefit i expect is not having to trawl through outdated discussions when looking at info for the latest version of a mod. if anything this would reduce visible 'clutter' on the forum.

I think what spaceport provides is fine btw. But the error messages from upload are non-descript as mentioned - but i've found checking my inputs carefully is sufficient. Also mod authors can keep their submissions their up-to date - having version specific comments etc. is not really what i want and i don't think its valuable - i just don't like the huge threads we have for the popular plugins, i find them unfriendly.

I personally do not think this is a good idea; these threads contain useful information which is invariant to version, such as feature requests, tutorials and troubleshooting.

we always recommend mod releases be presented in a way that the first topic of the respective thread contains a link to the latest version as well as pictures and all the general information about the mod - and then it's the author's job to keep that first post updated as he/she continues to develop it

being that this has been proven to directly affect the reception a mod gets as measured by the download count, most modders seem to have stuck to this model. -

I find that very much pleasing, given I had posted this myself and sticky'ed almost 2 years ago -- it's still there :wink:

for versioning needs, some mods such as MJ have their own external (non-forum) issue trackers set up, still - our poor little forum servers can barely take the brunt of our abuse as is, we can't reasonably attempt to provide bug-tracking features for all the mods out there - then the thing'd finally blow up

plus, each modder has his/her own way of doing their thing, so there's not any one-size-fits-all solution we could really come up with... even if we could somehow offer such a thing :P

and without a proper bug tracking system, the release forums would rashly founder into the depthless bowels of mayhem with all the random arbitrarily-managed bugs and issues being wrought and wrangled... that's no job for a poor little forum - this is madness, I tell ye!

I really do wish we could offer better support for everyone out there making mods for KSP, they very well deserve it and we sure as well know it... but there's way too much going on, and forum moderators have little say over the larger matters regarding SpacePort features in this way

In an utopic society, the SpacePort would offer a built-in bug tracker working on a per-mod basis - but for this to be, it have to take place in such a perfect fictitious scenario that it would also most likely serve you coffee, rub your feet and have trained puppies bring you breakfast in bed on a golden platter

In the meantime, we do what we can, you know... :D

cheerz!

Edited by Moach

In an utopic society, the SpacePort would offer a built-in bug tracker working on a per-mod basis - but for this to be, it have to take place in such a perfect fictitious scenario that it would also most likely serve you coffee, rub your feet and have trained puppies bring you breakfast in bed on a golden platter

If only we could have a KSP branded GitHub :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.