[WIP] Mars Transfer Vehicle

Yeah, I know they are 900ISP and 111kN (which still isn't a lot!) but that seemed OP'd compared to the stock ones. I guess for a bus this big it seems it's not ;)

Ok. One thing how long of a burn those it take to get to Duna. I suggest making it about 1 - 2 min. 1:30 min will be perfect. I say this because I saw a few days ago a documentary called Mars Rising that is from 2007 (so the MTV is the same one you are making) and it said that they were trying to make some engines that are very efficient but will not take more than a 2 minute burn to get into a course with mars (that is why the chose NTR).

You can change the time it takes for the burn by two ways:

1) Maybe the ship is a little overweight than what its supposed to be. You could decrease the mass of some struts (Cube ones and the regular)

2) Or you can also change the thrust to a higher number. This might be more unrealistic than the first but could help if you can't find something that seems overweight.

If the MTV already takes between 1-2 min to get to Duna it is an acurate craft then.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I nearly wet my pants when I realised my name and picture got into a SpaceX presentation. I'm a massive spaceflight nerd (and a fan of SpaceX) and it made me proud :)

MajorJim I guss mine came up on Google Images because it's been on the forums for an eternity, I don't expect they expended much effort in trying to find a decent MTV picture or they'd have used one of NASA's! Don't be bitter ;)

From what I gathered (I watched some other parts of the presentation) they use NVIDIA-based computational modelling systems at SpaceX top model different physics and mathematical models. What a lot of people overlook is that NVIDIA do a lot more besides gaming stuff and fancy graphics cards for workstations, they have a whole company arm that deals with large scale computing systems for modelling (by which I mean mathematical modelling, not 3D modelling although they do a lot of stuff for that too).

So, are there any recently available trusses for building MTV-like craft these days that are Kerbal scale (rather than RSS)? I really want to actually build this and fly it to Duna one day, it'll be so much easier now with Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings and the plethora of 5m parts!

I guss mine came up on Google Images because it's been on the forums for an eternity, I don't expect they expended much effort in trying to find a decent MTV picture or they'd have used one of NASA's! Don't be bitter ;)

I'm super happy for you! Honestly I feel no bitterness at all! It was a joke, that's why I put the silly faces after..

Anywhoo! Awesome! Lucky! Not bitter!

;-)

MJ

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Here's an awesome one by @winged

Looks ok but he used Mods designed to look like the craft. 

I think I'm going to start sharing pictures of my constellation rebuild craft. I'm very, very proud of my DTV. 

10 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Looks ok but he used Mods designed to look like the craft.

Only for MTV trusses. The rest is Procedural Parts + Bigelow-like habitat from Habitat Pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.