what was the first thing you landed on (not in the kerbin system)

duncan1297

first thing  

1 member has voted

1. 1. first thing

• Moho
    • Eve
    • Duna
    • Ike
    • Dres
    • Laythe
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop/Pol
    • Eeloo

Yup, Duna. Followed by Eve, then Eeloo (I wanted to go there before it got downgraded from planet, turns out I could have taken my time). Then everywhere else but Jool, as I was saving Jool for my first massive mothership mission. Well, originally it was going to be a six-probe single launch mission but there was... ahem... mission creep.

Duna, plain and simple. However, the first planet I actually saw from a ship was Eve. Here's the story:

I completely botched up another attempt at transferring to Duna in 0.17 (I'd just about got Mun and Minmus transfers down to a T at this point), so my poor Kerbal was stranded in solar orbit, but I had enough fuel to try and get to Eve. Amazingly enough, I see this little purple blob in the sky eventually:

9Qvy3ee.png

(The picture's only low-res because I cropped it down to size.)

It was so close but so far away! Not even in its SOI but so close! Needless to say, Wilgan Kerman (I believe) was a bit disheartened...

Oh well, he landed on Duna. Sort of. In a pod. Without the rest of the ship (engineers forgot to put 'chutes on the lander stage, so Wilgan had to eject the pod which did have 'chutes)...

Eve actually, funnily I have landed a kerbal on every planet and moon except Duna where I have built an orbiting space station to manage probe missions. I will send a kerbal to Duna one day but there is just something about having the closest planet untouched by kerbal boots interesting and mysterious for me. Its probably because we have yet to go to Mars.

I tried to get to Duna, but escaped the wrong way and ended up going for Eve instead. Completely wrong timing window, but ended up getting into SOI the same way I rendezvous with the space station around Kerbin, getting a slightly smaller elliptical orbit whose peri/apoapsis is tangent to Eve's orbit. IIRC it was about 270 days in solar orbit before getting there, which I thought would be a lot longer for some reason.

Edited by maackey

Eve, LV-N probe transfer stage with three probe landers and isa mapsat.

Looking back it was an noob mission, get into solar orbit then burn for eve, the side mounted probes had the decopler the wrong way so the engine did not work.

Dropped second probe on eve by doing an deorbit burn with the transfer stage and then burn back to orbit and managed to land.

Run out of fuel on transfer stage Doing the Gilly transfer so I just let the transfer stage impact it and decopled the top lander.

After switching to it I pressed space and decopled the engine and fuel from probe and parachute. All three parts impacted Gilly who is pretty impressive.

Duna > Jool > Moho > Eve

after the updates,

Eeloo > Dres

plus all the moons, except for the joolian moons (minus laythe). ive orbited/flown by pol, bob, tylo, and vall, but never landed on them.

Edited by spikeyhat09

I went to Eve first. Mostly for 3 reasons. First, my window for Eve was a lot closer than my window for Duna. Second, it was an unmanned rover mission, and I didn't need to worry about a return mission. Third, I wanted to succeed in my landing. I wasn't sure if my rover had enough parachutes for Duna (it did) and I knew that if it worked on Kerbin then it would work on Eve.

Does Kerbol count?

Even if I used a little infinite fuel to do so. (Hey, I wanted to know what the temperature of the sun was... this was a VALID scientific experiment!) And the information about how Kerbals can survive in a giant explosive coffin only a few thousand Km away from the sun (which has no temperature) was INVALUABLE to current research.

my first probe was to Eeloo, got an intercept, but ion engines being ion engines means I over shot, so now that probe is on the wall at the edge of the solar system. my first landing outside of mun, minmus, and kerbin was on duna the other week when I decide to take a break from making my geo stationary dry dock station around kerbin for construction of ships in space and sent a probe with a rover attached to it, and now I have a colony ship enroute to duna. I also have an Eeloo lander staged up to leave, its just waiting for one final peice for the Eeloo base.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.