What future Mission Reports will hopefully not look like

Astronomer

Bob_Kerman: 23:48 jeb, wtf r u doing in my quarters again and why are you naked?!

Jeb_Kerman: 23:48 BILL THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

Bob_Kerman: 23:49 here we go again. when I said "get a room" I didn't mean MY ROOM

Bill_Kerman: 23:49 Bob?

Bob_Kerman: 23:49 Yes?

Bill_Kerman: 23:50 Am I your... [whisper] dirty little secret? [/whisper]

Bob_Kerman: 23:50 you do know we are in the same ship, right?

Jeb_Kerman: 23:50 WHO FARTED WASN'T ME NO

Bob_Kerman: 07:14 ok, what happen? why does my head hurt? did Bill release the kethane guage again?

Bill_Kerman: 07:15 No, I believe that would be the elevator fart effect.

Jeb_Kerman: 07:21 WAIT?! WHAT TIME IS IT?!

Bob_Kerman: 07:21 the morning after you rendered us uncontious?

Jeb_Kerman: 07:21 NO - ITS TIME TO SMELL THE BOOSTERS YOU EARLY RISERS

Jeb Kerman was killed in action.

Bill Kerman was killed in action.

Bob Kerman was killed in action.

"PREPARE URANUS" craft collided with Kraken.

screenshot34.png

I did not know kethane can have such effect on the brain. Looks like it's time to rotate the crew of my Mun ferinery.

Duuuuuuuuuude...Have you tried dat Kethaaane maaaaaan? th' stuff's awesoooooome duuuuuuude...

Welcome to KSP

43fdac18904969c7dfaf8cf5048b788d829eed7f_full.jpg

Let me be your guide

PRESS SPACE TO GO TO SPACE

You know, I never realised how apt using the space bar to go into space actually is... Quite profound. Was is by design or just an accident do you wonder? I actually changed my staging button to "Break" which is pretty apt for my flights heh. To abort the mission I use the "END" button although "Backspace" is apt to (ie back out of space). Perhaps to make my Kerbonauts drink I should use the TAB button. Maybe the self destruct could use the "Delete" key (we really need a self destruct key).

Maybe the self destruct could use the "Delete" key (we really need a self destruct key).

Is that not what the abort option is for?:wink:

I mean, my ships always survive and do not explode spectacularly! :cool:

Is that not what the abort option is for?:wink:

I mean, my ships always survive and do not explode spectacularly! :cool:

The Abort key fires off the escape option... if you remember to set up the control group correctly. The Self Destruct on the other hand should be to blow the rocket parts up to stop , let's say the huge tank of explosive fuel landing on top of KSC VAB and killing all the guys building the next rockets. Nasa have a guy who's only job it is to destroy the rocket if there is threat to life below.

shuttle-flight-termination-.jpg

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/nasa/4262479

Those astronuts (yeah, missed out the "a" on purpose) actually went up SITTING ON A BOMB let alone all that stuff in the fuel tanks.

Bob_Kerman: 23:48 jeb, wtf r u doing in my quarters again and why are you naked?!

Jeb_Kerman: 23:48 BILL THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

Bob_Kerman: 23:49 here we go again. when I said "get a room" I didn't mean MY ROOM

Bill_Kerman: 23:49 Bob?

Bob_Kerman: 23:49 Yes?

Bill_Kerman: 23:50 Am I your... [whisper] dirty little secret? [/whisper]

Bob_Kerman: 23:50 you do know we are in the same ship, right?

Jeb_Kerman: 23:50 WHO FARTED WASN'T ME NO

Bob_Kerman: 07:14 ok, what happen? why does my head hurt? did Bill release the kethane guage again?

Bill_Kerman: 07:15 No, I believe that would be the elevator fart effect.

Jeb_Kerman: 07:21 WAIT?! WHAT TIME IS IT?!

Bob_Kerman: 07:21 the morning after you rendered us uncontious?

Jeb_Kerman: 07:21 NO - ITS TIME TO SMELL THE BOOSTERS YOU EARLY RISERS

Jeb Kerman was killed in action.

Bill Kerman was killed in action.

Bob Kerman was killed in action.

"PREPARE URANUS" craft collided with Kraken.

Oh god, a kerbal NSFW fic? I'm so done.

The Abort key fires off the escape option... if you remember to set up the control group correctly. The Self Destruct on the other hand should be to blow the rocket parts up to stop , let's say the huge tank of explosive fuel landing on top of KSC VAB and killing all the guys building the next rockets. Nasa have a guy who's only job it is to destroy the rocket if there is threat to life below.

For the record, the Range Safety Officer is US Air Force, not NASA, and is actually an Air Force requirement, not a NASA one. This is because NASA technically uses the Air Force's Eastern Missile Range facilities (tracking stations and impact areas) for launches from KSC and CCAFS, and since they're Air Force facilities, NASA has to follow Air Force range safety rules--one of which is that it be possible to destroy any out-of-control vehicle before it can threaten populated areas.

As a side note, there was not actually a destruct charge on the Orbiter itself; the linear destruct charges on the Shuttle stack were on the two tanks of the External Tank, plus one on the side of each SRB to terminate their thrust if they were flying out of control. While NASA didn't heavily publicize the range safety charges, they were never secrets; they're actually mentioned in the report on the Challenger accident as one of the first things to be investigated and ruled out, since the SRB charges were fired by the RSO about a minute after the breakup (when the SRBs, defying all engineering analysis, did not tumble and instead kept flying and started curving back towards Titusville), and the ET charges were recovered intact in the debris recovery operation. Apparently, the Air Force makes an exception to the destruct charge requirement for human-carrying components of the system, to allow for crew escape; in fact, the Destruct ARM switch doesn't just arm the charges, but also issues an immediate shutdown command to all liquid-fuel engines to improve the chances of a successful abort (by ceasing the booster's acceleration to allow cleaner jettison and quicker separation before the destruct command is sent).

As a reminder, even after a successful destruct, there's a hell of a lot of metal that's going to rain down in the impact area; the point of the range safety charges is to terminate thrust and dump all propellants at high altitude, so that when they burn, it's not in the middle of a city. (Remember, the Saturn V had, when sitting on the launch pad, fully fueled, an explosive equivalent of a two kiloton atomic bomb, and the Shuttle had about half of that.) There will still be a lot of damage if the impact zone is a populated area, but nowhere near as much as if it fell with the propellant tanks intact...

Those astronuts (yeah, missed out the "a" on purpose) actually went up SITTING ON A BOMB let alone all that stuff in the fuel tanks.

I was being cheeky. My abort option is the self-destruct. What could be more Kerbal?

RDFox: That is some awesome trivia. I knew about the range safety "packages," but I didn't know that the safety option included steps to maximize escape potential for the astronauts. The shuttle was still incredibly dangerous. Looking at the abort options still makes me wonder who thought they might actually work. Clearly NASA had more faith in those options than I did.

I was being cheeky. My abort option is the self-destruct. What could be more Kerbal?

RDFox: That is some awesome trivia. I knew about the range safety "packages," but I didn't know that the safety option included steps to maximize escape potential for the astronauts. The shuttle was still incredibly dangerous. Looking at the abort options still makes me wonder who thought they might actually work. Clearly NASA had more faith in those options than I did.

Interestingly, the shutdown command is also sent on Destruct ARM with unmanned missions; a little more digging revealed that it's in hopes that a booster that's starting to exceed the tolerances will, if shut down, stay within the hard limits so that they can maybe salvage a partial mission or at least recover the hardware in better shape for the investigation, or something (it's not entirely clear); they only send DESTRUCT when the vehicle passes the hard limits where it could fall within a certain distance of the designated impact area's boundaries.

The Shuttle abort options were *mostly* viable ones; the three later-stage ones were all considered entirely feasible. Transatlantic landing and Abort-Once-Around were just long suborbital flights, which isn't anything difficult, while Abort-To-Orbit wasn't so much an "abort" as a contingency mode to save as much of the mission as possible. (ATO is the only mode that we ever actually used, on STS-51F, when they lost a single engine at T+5:43 and had to accept a lower orbital altitude.) Return To Launch Site, however... well, put it this way. Initial plans were for STS-1 to be a preplanned RTLS test, rather than an orbital flight, but these were cancelled due to mission commander John Young voicing the opinion that NASA "shouldn't practice Russian roulette."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.