O.A.S.I.S. Stardock and station systems [Update: New Terminus Core]

Just wanted to thank you for this awesome station. Was very fun to build, though many Kerbals gave their lives during construction( mainly because I forgot they where on the tugs when I deorbited them) I forgot to take pictures, will take some next time.

Unfortunately, I built to big and raised the ire of the space kraken, got the station core, 2 fuel cores, a core stack, power mast, crew modules, 4 fuel tanks docked, and another on final approach when the station ripped itself apart.

Again thanks for the awesome fun, and ideas.

Just wanted to thank you for this awesome station. Was very fun to build, though many Kerbals gave their lives during construction( mainly because I forgot they where on the tugs when I deorbited them) I forgot to take pictures, will take some next time.

Unfortunately, I built too big and raised the ire of the space kraken, got the core, core stack, 2 fuel cores, 4 fuel tanks, crew hab, and power mast, with another fuel tank on final approach when the station began to sway and shake as if in a high wind then exploded. Poor brave kerbalnauts.

I've seen that happen since .20.2, and it seems to be related to the cupola crew modules. Warping doesn't stop it either. Only fix I've found is to quickly switch away to the tracking station then back again, reloading the station. Hopefully they'll fix it.

would it be possible for you to upload the files somewhere else? i cant seem to download them on my mac, and i'd love to assemble this monster

They're just craft files. I assure you that hosting them somewhere else will not make a difference. You need to save them as .craft files in your VAB folder

I've seen that happen since .20.2, and it seems to be related to the cupola crew modules. Warping doesn't stop it either. Only fix I've found is to quickly switch away to the tracking station then back again, reloading the station. Hopefully they'll fix it.

They're just craft files. I assure you that hosting them somewhere else will not make a difference. You need to save them as .craft files in your VAB folder

Already did that. they keep registering as TXT files, and ksp wont read the files after i rename them...

Already did that. they keep registering as TXT files, and ksp wont read the files after i rename them...

Don't save them as .TXT files. Save them as .craft files. The problem is probably with your browser or OS re-encoding them when you save them as .TXT. KSP craft files ARE text filetypes by the file header, so your browser will happily assume you want to save them as text files. Don't. Right-click the link and save-as, and make sure it saves it with the .craft extension and not .txt.

• 4 weeks later...

I started putting this together my third day of playing, I was wondering though, what do you do with all the kerbals after you dock a new part? The assemblers don't have chutes. Do you just let them burn up?

Also, I had it spontaneously blow apart once, I think from having SAS on(harmonically wobbling), any tips on this?

I started putting this together my third day of playing, I was wondering though, what do you do with all the kerbals after you dock a new part? The assemblers don't have chutes. Do you just let them burn up?

Also, I had it spontaneously blow apart once, I think from having SAS on(harmonically wobbling), any tips on this?

I transfer them to the station, of course. lol. The crew modules once docked hold 7 kerbals each and include chutes, or you can return them on another ship, or load them onto later ships you assemble in orbit.

You can also remove the kerbals from the assembler ships before launch and end mission on them on the launchpad, or unload the capsule on the pad using crew manifest. The assemblers weren't actually intended to be manned, but for some reason the game currently loads kerbals automatically into non-root capsules, even when the root part is an unmanned probe.

quicksave often, and orient the ship before attaching the power mast or crew modules. It's a torque and resonance thing, a positive feedback loop, a bug really... but until it's fixed, if the station starts to wobble violently like that, hit esc and return to the tracking station, then switch back to the station to re-load it without the wobble.

Everything is "working" but I did notice that after decoupling from the primary lifter I have a really hard fight getting the lifter turned retrograde to make a deorbit burn. I am wanting to say that when I added an advanced SAS to the lower portion of the lifter I was able to get it to turn more easily after in orbit but I honestly can't remember now.

Everything is "working" but I did notice that after decoupling from the primary lifter I have a really hard fight getting the lifter turned retrograde to make a deorbit burn. I am wanting to say that when I added an advanced SAS to the lower portion of the lifter I was able to get it to turn more easily after in orbit but I honestly can't remember now.

The lifter is heavy with a very large moment of inertia (it's very long and has a lot of mass rotating around the middle) which makes it very difficult to turn, especially since once decoupled from the main modules and delivery vehicles, it has only the spin torque from a single probe core to turn it.

To have an easier time getting it turned around for the deorbit burn, I recommend beginning the turn with the payload still attached, and turning about 45 degrees before decoupling, so it has some momentum to keep turning into the retrograde position, while separating the payload away to avoid damage from the burn at the same time. Then, once at retrograde, you can fire up the mainsail engine, and use its thrust vectoring to stop the spin and deorbit it.

I guess I stated that and probably made it sound like it was broken. It is really more of a situation in which it is being handled considerably differently than I remember it from the pre .21 patch. What you said is very much what I am doing at this point and it works great. Just different from the prior build with the old SAS design.

Oh, BTW since it sounds like I have done nothing but be the new guy complaining the reality is I absolutely love your OASIS design and have been using it all over and am planning to put a station on the mun shortly.

This is a beautiful station - I can appreciate all the hard work and brain sweat that must have gone into designing it. I'd say it looks more like a real space station than anything I've seen on the forums so far - and that's saying a lot, because there are a lot of great designs.

Once I figure out how to rendezvous, I'll have to try putting a station together.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe i'm missing something obvious but how do you deploy and attach the power expansion?

It's a little tricky. Originally I was using tugs but that didn't work so well, so I added a probe core and RCS to each module so they're self-guided. un-dock the piece you intend to deploy, then switch to it and dock with the station. The two L-shaped pieces connect to the clamp jr docking ports at the base of the main power mast with the 'L' at the end pointing out parallel to the main mast, then the panel booms attach to those so they align with the other panels.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the version 0.21.2, is it any easier to send up the (stock) terminus core to LKO, cause I tried it a few times yesterday and so far I can't seem to get it to circularize to a 100km orbit without it going out of control (and going without mechjeb since I have not done a clean install yet).

Since the version 0.21.2, is it any easier to send up the (stock) terminus core to LKO, cause I tried it a few times yesterday and so far I can't seem to get it to circularize to a 100km orbit without it going out of control (and going without mechjeb since I have not done a clean install yet).

I can't tell you because a recent update broke all of my saves. The Terminus core had enough fuel to reach minmus orbit directly from the launchpad, though, so I can't imagine it would have been nerfed enough to prevent LKO. Make sure you're following the launch instructions and recommended ascent profile in the OP. There are specific details pertaining to toggling off the outer engine stage gimballing prior to launch. Without MJ it may be difficult to maintain control below 50km due to the high drag of the cupola module. Be sure to follow a shallow ascent profile and keep your nose pegged on the prograde, avoiding any sharp maneuvering. IIRC the staging is designed to utilize the LV-Ns for additional thrust and better efficiency as soon as you're out of the thickest part of the atmosphere.

I got the Terminus Core up (after reinstalling MechJeb - subsequently the entire KSP installation by accident, twice), but I have to jettison the service lifter early due to the subsequent oscillations even with the additional struts before the orbital insertion burn, thus relying on the LV-Ns to finish the job. Though even then it was a bit wobbly (I blame MechJeb 2.0.9).

Now to get 2 fuel cores up there to dock...wish me luck.

Are you sure the gimballing is disabled on outer engines? It will always be a little wobbly due to its extreme length, but should be manageable. If you have too much trouble you can always try disabling gimballing all together, or throttling down the engine.

EDIT:

Also, I HIGHLY recommend selecting the probe core at the top of the service lifter stage for 'control from here' during ascent. Since it is nesarer the ship's moment of inertia, it will sway less, creating less navball wobble, which contributes to control feedback with MJ or SAS.

Are you sure the gimballing is disabled on outer engines? It will always be a little wobbly due to its extreme length, but should be manageable. If you have too much trouble you can always try disabling gimballing all together, or throttling down the engine.

EDIT:

Also, I HIGHLY recommend selecting the probe core at the top of the service lifter stage for 'control from here' during ascent. Since it is nesarer the ship's moment of inertia, it will sway less, creating less navball wobble, which contributes to control feedback with MJ or SAS.

Oddly enough, I did stopped the gimballing on the outer engines as well as selecting the probe core for control point from the start.

Wish I had video recorded the whole launch now, it was rather entertaining to see the thing wobble after getting it out of the atmosphere.

Edit: the first fuel core went up after reverting once due to me accidentally decoupling the fuel tank. Funny thing - i have to turn off the reaction wheel in the command module due to the 3 reaction wheels ate the batteries faster than the RTG can recharge them (if there was a RTG stowed onboard in the first place, i did not check...yet). At least i can throw the second fuel core into orbit faster later on.

Edited by info600

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.