O.A.S.I.S. Stardock and station systems [Update: New Terminus Core]

I'm using .20 somthing or other, and I used the "right click link and select "Save As" method you recommended. Does having the game open at the time have anything to do with it not working?

It shouldn't, though it might not load the ships in the VAB until it's been closed and re-opened. Make sure you're putting them in your *\Kerbal Space Program\saves\[Name]\Ships\VAB\ folder as a *.craft file.

I've downloaded this space station but they are all spraying flames in the VAB, on the launch pad, and while attempting to launch. Needless to say, I haven't gotten very far. What is causing the spraying of sparks, even in the VAB?

OK, took a closer look in the VAB. There are some engines on the middle core, the smaller type with the smaller tanks. They appear to be greyed out, not allowing me to do anything with them. Further, they spray sparks in the VAB. On the launch pad they shoot exhaust and flames out sideways, and continue to do so after launch. I've yet to control a launch or fix this issue. It looks really cool, but so far I can't use them.

My other ships seem to be fine.

Edited by Maxthrust

I've downloaded this space station but they are all spraying flames in the VAB, on the launch pad, and while attempting to launch. Needless to say, I haven't gotten very far. What is causing the spraying of sparks, even in the VAB?

OK, took a closer look in the VAB. There are some engines on the middle core, the smaller type with the smaller tanks. They appear to be greyed out, not allowing me to do anything with them. Further, they spray sparks in the VAB. On the launch pad they shoot exhaust and flames out sideways, and continue to do so after launch. I've yet to control a launch or fix this issue. It looks really cool, but so far I can't use them.

My other ships seem to be fine.

Are you using any mods?

Only MecJeb.

I've just done a new clean install and that resolved my issue.

Not sure what was going on, although I've done a handful of updates recently and tried to keep some of my old stuff going. Might have borked a file in the process.

I'll reinstall MecJeb and keep marching.

Thank you,

Max

Currently in progress of creating this station as pictured. It sure does have a lot of fuel and is taking forever only docking two modules per day.

per realtime day or in game? If you can peg the launch timing right it will save a lot of time in orbital maneuvering. Naturally it's modular so nothing is mandatory to add apart from what you want to add. I designed it to have a lot of fuel because I like my stations to require infrequent service.

let me know how far you get before the lag takes you. (; the full station will bring just about any system to its knees, although I deliberately designed the fuel modules to consist of only 3 parts per tank, to minimize part count in basic refueling station configurations, so if anything I'd recommend leaving out one of the crew stacks or the docks.

Edited by Colonel_Panic

I just muddled up my station and have to start over again so thanks for the station parts!

I tried putting two of my habitat modules into orbit per launch so each horribly drawn out rendeveuz with the space station had twice the payout. But when I separated the two hab modules before docking, only one of the two had functioning RCS even though both had RCS ports, RCS fuel, and cockpits. What the second module didn't have however, is a pilot. I didn't realize I could have gone EVA to go pick up the second module 50 meters away, until AFTER I made the station go BOOM trying to RCS it to the empty hab module. Forgot to quick-save silly me.

I just muddled up my station and have to start over again so thanks for the station parts!

I tried putting two of my habitat modules into orbit per launch so each horribly drawn out rendeveuz with the space station had twice the payout. But when I separated the two hab modules before docking, only one of the two had functioning RCS even though both had RCS ports, RCS fuel, and cockpits. What the second module didn't have however, is a pilot. I didn't realize I could have gone EVA to go pick up the second module 50 meters away, until AFTER I made the station go BOOM trying to RCS it to the empty hab module. Forgot to quick-save silly me.

oops.

I get around this by putting the RCS on a probe controlled tug, which can then assemble all the pieces unmanned. That's what the little clamp jr ports on the crew modules are for.

per realtime day or in game? If you can peg the launch timing right it will save a lot of time in orbital maneuvering. Naturally it's modular so nothing is mandatory to add apart from what you want to add. I designed it to have a lot of fuel because I like my stations to require infrequent service.

let me know how far you get before the lag takes you. (; the full station will bring just about any system to its knees, although I deliberately designed the fuel modules to consist of only 3 parts per tank, to minimize part count in basic refueling station configurations, so if anything I'd recommend leaving out one of the crew stacks or the docks.

per realday time the lag is pretty bad already and I still have 4 tanks left to dock, the panels and the stardock... only getting 2 fps during docking (which is quite normal)

I wonder if it is possible to make a minimal part count version of this. Hmmm, project for the day!

It's already about as low as you can go for its function. The only struts and structural pieces are in necessary locations. You could remove power from the station core making it impossible to re-orient or stop spinning until the power mast is attached, but I wouldn't recommend that, and it would only save a dozen or so parts. You could save another dozen parts by removing the escape mechanism from the crew modules, again not recommended if you value your kerbals. If you want to save part count, don't use the docks, or don't assemble half of it.

per realday time the lag is pretty bad already and I still have 4 tanks left to dock, the panels and the stardock... only getting 2 fps during docking (which is quite normal)

That's pretty bad, are you remembering to deorbit your assemblers when you're done with them? they have a lot of parts.

I am in the process of assembling the OASIS Station now, and I am quite impressed. My only problem with it is that the Fuel Core is very wobbly for the first about 10 km of the flight. So it may take a few tries to launch it.

I am in the process of assembling the OASIS Station now, and I am quite impressed. My only problem with it is that the Fuel Core is very wobbly for the first about 10 km of the flight. So it may take a few tries to launch it.

Did you remember to turn off the outer engine gimballing by pressing 1 twice before launch?

also double check your action groups are correct and 1 does toggle outer engine gimballing, since I seem to remember one of the modules having the action groups get messed up when I tried it recently.

also don't use RCS during the ascent, it's more stable without it.

My goodness, my computer would be fried by the first few dockings. I meant build one of my own, with low part count. Lower count anyways. Yours is awesome, but my computer could not handle it though.

That's fair.

When I designed OASIS, my goal was to make a station infrastructure that offered maximum physical size for minimum part count, using a lot of very large pieces and very few structural supports and other bells and whistles (the docks themselves being the exception, with lots of lights and rigid structure). There were a few unfortunate limitations such as the need for adapters and struts to make 6-way clamp-sr joints work (until they add a 6-way large size hub), but I did for example get the fuel cores down to 36 parts per side (7 orange XL fuel tanks and 3 XL RCS tanks) and things like that.

That's fair.

When I designed OASIS, my goal was to make a station infrastructure that offered maximum physical size for minimum part count, using a lot of very large pieces and very few structural supports and other bells and whistles (the docks themselves being the exception, with lots of lights and rigid structure). There were a few unfortunate limitations such as the need for adapters and struts to make 6-way clamp-sr joints work (until they add a 6-way large size hub), but I did for example get the fuel cores down to 36 parts per side (7 orange XL fuel tanks and 3 XL RCS tanks) and things like that.

Awesome work regardless! Everything looks so cool:the lifter; the station; the tugs; hot damn, it's great. If it isn't too personal to ask, what system do you have?

Awesome work regardless! Everything looks so cool:the lifter; the station; the tugs; hot damn, it's great. If it isn't too personal to ask, what system do you have?

see posted in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25004-KSP-Unofficial-Official-Computer-Building-Megathread-%28All-Questions-Acceptable-%29?p=447567&viewfull=1#post447567 :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.