Is there a possible way in which Verity and Lambert's figures work out together?

Kerbface

You see Mr Lambert insists that Mr Verity gives figures which are 10x the amount he means, whereas Mr Veryity claims Mr Lamberts figures are 1/3 the amount he means. This is impossible! Or is it? Could there be some figures by which they actually multiply their meaning that would make both of their statements true? I'm not a math genius, I don't know. But I'm curious.

v1 = 10x

v2 = 3x

v1 = v2 when x = 0

I didn't mean a single instance where a number they could give would fit into their estimates of each other. I mean this. When Mr Lambert says Mr Verity multiplies everything by 10, this can't be right because we know Mr. Lambert's figures are 1/3 what he means, but that's if you listen to Mr. Verity, except that his figures are supposedly multiplied by 10, so that can't be true either.

I've heard there are magic numbers where they're both right. Obviously, it leads to very nonsensically sized beds but generally speaking solves the issue of inconsistent figures.

it is inconsistent.

say Lambert's underestimation coefficient is L

and Verity's overestimation coefficient is V

then Lambert would say that Verity overestimates V/L times

and Verity would say that Lambert underestimates L*V times

so

V/L = 10

V*L = 3

V = sqrt(30) = 5.477

L = sqrt(0.3) = 0.5477

= Lambert actually OVERESTIMATES 1.8 x

But in the video we hear Verity saying that when Lambert says 2 foot he means 60,

but when Verity multiplies EVERYTHING by the same amount, then 2 and 60 would be the result of multiplication by the same constant,

2 = V*A

60 = V * B

So the V would cancel itself out when trying to compute L from this statement

L = B / A = (60/V)/(2/V) = 60 / 2 = 30 which is inconsistent with the above derived ratios from their previous utterances.

Edited by MBobrik

Hypothesis 2. maybe they multiply/divide each other's coef, but when Verity was quoting Lambert he was not multiplying.

but then, 60 / 2 would have to be equal V * L = 3 which is inconsistent too

Hypothesis 3

They multiply/divide only things like cost or dimensions, and not other numbers, or when quoting each other.

Then L would be 3 and V would be 10 literally like they said, and all would fit together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.