Can Mod Makers Make a New Planet?

If you're willing to not use any manually-created heightmaps, I think it could be done... it's just a matter of actually figuring out how to access all the required things that go into making a new planet, via a plugin.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The short answer is "Yes, but it's not allowed." Check this thread for more details:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50549-The-Ability-for-modders-to-add-planets

That is partially true. Legal restrictions only kick in when you try to distribute your work and Squad is touchy about people decompiling the game, which is really the best and least buggy way to add a planet. So basically, if you can do it without decompiling stuff, which can be done but is a lot more buggy, you are 100% legal. If you feel like secretly breaking the EULA and pushing international copyright laws, you could tap the source code, though this is not advised unless you are an extremely compentent coder. Decompile at your own risk.

Edited by Captain Sierra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Now this is the type of question I love! Hi! I am a game developer/programmer and to respond this question is simple. Yes, you can make planets, heck even other galaxies!

This is going to be difficult though. Since every planet must be sphere and they are created in unity3d game engine. The first step is getting a 3d modeling program such as blender. In blender you must create a sphere and re size it to a specified size. Step 2 is to do whatever with the planet! Create mountains, Ice Caps, Cities, but not oceans! You make oceans in the game engine itself. Step 3, apply a texture to all land. Step 4, Bring into Unity3d and apply a ocean if you want. Step 5, Apply a script to make the planet spin and rotation to the sun. Step 6, Test the mod for bugs or errors.

Right pretty straight forward although I have know idea how to 3d model things!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.