[0.23]Bolt-On Screenshot System (BOSS) - v2.1.4

Ted

Those of you that have been around the Forums for some time might remember my Bolt-On Screenshot System that I posted a while back, November/October. Unfortunately, it was lost in Black April and I have been a bit busy to bring it back.

Anyway, I've updated it to be 0.23 compatible, let me know how it goes.

Description

This plugin allows you to take screenshots within KSP at a higher resolution than your current screen resolution, using a technique called 'supersampling'.

Press 'z' to take a screenshot and 'p' to hide the UI. These are both rebindable in the config.xml file found next to your screenshots.

Screenshots can be found in "/GameData/BOSS/PluginData/BOSS/".

A massive thanks to SyNik4l for adding in many of the much desired features and giving the code a good clean-up.

Important Information

Using this plugin can require a lot of RAM. Thus, burst fire mode is restricted to a supersample value of 1 - a.k.a no supersampling at all.

However, you can still use supersampling without restriction when not using burst fire.

I recommend not going higher than 3 or 4; you may be able to pull off 5, but it may crash/freeze your game for a second. If the game freezes, you are not missing any frames. So just let the game sit while it processes.

I have added a limiter on the screenshot key/button if your super sampling value is set higher than 1, mainly due to the KSP ram limit. This is to prevent multiple screenshots being taken too quickly causing you to go over the KSP ram limit and crash your game. The plugin checks for the image to finish processing.

Then allows you to take more screenshots. You can override this limiter by toggling on the 'override limiter' button on the help window.(WARNING: By doing this. You are pretty much limited to 2 screenshots at a time(because it will crash if you take more). Though, you may still crash your game by doing it, everyone's computer is different, and everyone is using different Add-Ons/Plugins alongside this. In the end, it could work better for some than others. Just know by overriding that limiter, you are subject to crashes.

Burst Fire mode: As explained above this is purely for automatically taking screenshots over a period of time. So no supersampling is allowed while this is toggled on. Thus you cannot

change your supersampling value from one if the burst fire window is open. To use it

1. Toggle burst fire

2. Set interval(this field does allow point values - just make sure if for example you want .3 - You enter 0.3)

3. Set time frame to take screenshots - only whole numbers.

4. Hide UI with 'P' or with toolbar button

4. Press screenshot hotkey.

5. Do something cool to take pictures of!

Plans

Rebuild the whole thing in Trigger Au's framework. For cleaniness and fun.

Recommendations are welcome.

Changelog

v2.1.4 - Fixed a couple random persistence bugs. UI should now persist throuh scene changes.

v2.1.3 - Forked by SyNiK4L - added choosing of skins, burst shot mode, help window, cleaned up code a lot. Added saving of supersampling value.

Added to toolbar(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863-0-23-0-Toolbar-1-4-0-Common-API-for-draggable-resizable-buttons-toolbar).)

fixed crashing issue by limiting the user to 1 screenshot while the unity engine is still antialiasing the image.

v2.1.2 - Fixed up the issues with hiding UI, made it persistent and changed it to the p key.

v2.1.1 - Fixed an issue in the paths given to the screenshot method. Screenshots should actually save now...

v2.1 - Added in the ability to hide the BOSS UI with the F2 key.

v2.0 - Updated for 0.23 compatibility. Refactored and removed a lot of code; mainly to do with requiring a part and then method of text field input.

v0.2.3 - Updated for 0.21 compatibility.

v0.2.2 - Fixed issues with multiple Bolts being on the same craft and thus causing BOSS to bug out.

v0.2.1 - Reverted to old internal structure for GUI, will progress with it at another date.

v0.2 - Changed to PartModule. Updated for 0.18. Changed GUI. Fixed various little bugs.

v0.1.2 - Prevented spamming of the debug log. Fixed non-updating text field.

v0.1.1 - Added in Settings Persistence.

v0.1 - Public Release

Licence

This plugin is licenced under the GPLv3. You may obtain a copy of this licence at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt or read the one included in this plugin.

Source Code

Visible on Github.

Note: For those of you that remember the BOMP Pack, jinks has kindly rehosted an updated version over here - https://github.com/jinks/BOMPs/releases/tag/v0.23.5

A massive thanks to him for that.

Edited by Ted

when BXSS comes around, will it be possible to configure the key press that took a screenshot? I tried BSXX once but uninstalled it immediately because it interfered wit hthe EdTool's use of z for part clipping

Thank you for doing this. I loved the BOSS. In fact, I have a couple shots using it printed out 30"x 24" as posters in my dorm room (10x supersampling worked find on my 1366 x 768 monitor).

I think I will hold off on sending my station to Laythe until your new version comes out so I can get some new shots.

when BXSS comes around, will it be possible to configure the key press that took a screenshot? I tried BSXX once but uninstalled it immediately because it interfered wit hthe EdTool's use of z for part clipping

Sure, I can give that a go.

Thank you for doing this. I loved the BOSS. In fact, I have a couple shots using it printed out 30"x 24" as posters in my dorm room (10x supersampling worked find on my 1366 x 768 monitor).

I think I will hold off on sending my station to Laythe until your new version comes out so I can get some new shots.

Wow, that is awesome to hear! Glad you enjoyed using it. :)

I'm quite excited for this; I'm constantly snapping screenshots but I play in low settings to keep my FPS up. I'm wondering how it will interact with Steam's screenshot system - is it possible for something like this to 'prepare' for a screenshot and then actually take it with Steam £

I'm quite excited for this; I'm constantly snapping screenshots but I play in low settings to keep my FPS up. I'm wondering how it will interact with Steam's screenshot system - is it possible for something like this to 'prepare' for a screenshot and then actually take it with Steam £

I don't think it would be possible to integrate it with Steam, unfortunately.

On another note, I'm currently trying to get BXSS updated here, but running into issues with building it as it is. It seems that the original version was built with .NET 4, which means much of it needs to be rewritten for .NET 3.5, not even sure how KSP ran it if it was built in 4. Anyway, whilst I try to figure that all out, I'll at least get BOSS working on 0.20, hopefully sans bolt as well.

I really hope you get the shortcut working! There's no way to take screenshots while UI is hidden?

I believe the shortcut should be Z, but there were issues sometimes with that.

Could we trouble you for a .20 standards set of your probe models? Sure we've got similar in .20 already, but your models are great.

Thanks, I'll put up a thread for them and update the Spaceport page within the next week. :)

I'd recommend using an F-key for it, makes more sense and less likely to collide with other stuff :).

Best would obviously be an own setting but I don't know if this is possible.

Will the next release also be \GameData compatible?

Also when I tried it out the BOSS gui is always shown when switching between vessels, until turned off. Should't it be off by default?

I'd recommend using an F-key for it, makes more sense and less likely to collide with other stuff :).

Best would obviously be an own setting but I don't know if this is possible.

Will the next release also be \GameData compatible?

Also when I tried it out the BOSS gui is always shown when switching between vessels, until turned off. Should't it be off by default?

The F key might be pretty good, although it could cause issues with boarding vessels and grabbing ladders. I think I'll just leave it at the default of Z and make it available to change, like BOSS is now.

GameData compatible is the goal of the next release, indeed. The thing about the GUI showing between vessels is that I hope to keep it that way and have the GUI active as soon as the game is loaded, much like how BXSS works.

F is used for SAS toggle and as you mentioned grabbing stuff, I was referring to F1-F12 keys :)

IIRC BXSS was using F11 which isn't used by anything I've seen.

Will there be a way to turn off auto-show GUI when switching vessels?

Anyway keep up the good work

F is used for SAS toggle and as you mentioned grabbing stuff, I was referring to F1-F12 keys :)

IIRC BXSS was using F11 which isn't used by anything I've seen.

Will there be a way to turn off auto-show GUI when switching vessels?

Anyway keep up the good work

Ah yes, good point heh. That could work, yepp.

I do aim to make the GUI toggleable, but it might not be in the coming update.

I'm having a bit of trouble using BOSS

the situation I'm in is I have the bolt on my ship, everything is turned on and everything. All I do is press F2 and z, which the .xml indicates is the screenshot key. The problem is that no picture shows up in the folder, and I have to resort to using the interface with HUD enabled.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.