[0.21] Simple Part Organizer (v0.250)

Mr Shifty

This version of the mod is no longer being updated or maintained. Felbourne took over the mod in December of 2013 and has published updates on his new thread [thread=62466]here[/thread]. Thanks to everyone who commented on the mod and found it useful.

Update v0.250: Return to chaos with the "Default" sort button. Too many mods? Scrolling is the solution! And persistence means no more recreating that special filter over and over; it's waiting for you when you start building.

Update v0.200: Filter by part type, and now with made-to-order "Select All" and "De-Select All" action.

Simple lightweight plugin that allows you to organize your parts in the VAB or SPH. This plug-in is designed for ease-of-use: one-click, intutive operation. It works from inside the game and does not modify your game file structure or naming. Allows you to sort and filter parts on the fly to make parts easier to find and de-clutter the part list.

Decoupling is where it's at...

Dw3B0os.jpg

When you just want to see the parts from one mod...

2oIhXfB.jpg

Sort your parts by mass...

hbxyppn.jpg

You can download the Simple Part Organizer at the Spaceport here:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-20-simple-part-organizer-v0-100-2/

* Source is included in the zip file

* I welcome feedback, even "Why are you wasting your time on this?"

* This was developed on a Win7 machine, but there's no reason it shouldn't work cross-platform. Please let me know if it works for you.

If you need MOAR POWER and/or flexibility for your part organization needs, you should try BlackNecro's Part Catalog. It's got everything a growing Kerbal could ask for... and more.

Changelog:

v0.250

Fixes:

- Made the mod filter window scrollable

- Truncated text so it fits on the buttons

- Internal changes to make more efficient code

Additions:

- Added Default button to the sort window

- Filter settings now persistent between sessions

v0.200

- Added filter regime: part type

- Added Select All and De-Select All buttons to the filter panels

- Changed license to GPLv3

v0.100 - Initial release.

- 5 sorting regimes: title, manufacturer, size, dry mass, total mass

- 2 filtering regimes: mod, size

TODO for next update:

- Change the size filter so that it's useful and matches standard nomenclature (e.g. 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m)

TODO longer term:

- Add keystroke filter by name

- Ascending and descending sorts

Wishlist:

- "Like this" capability: dynamic filtering by part

- Sort by arbitrary PartModule attributes

Required License Stuff:

Licensed under GPLv3. Please refer to license.txt in the zip file.

Edited by sjwt
Added note regarding transfer to Felbourne

Thanks! Definitely a utility I was looking for. Works pretty well. One addition I would like to see is a filter option reversed to how the current filter works. It would be cool if I was just looking for Kethane parts to just click on the Kethane button rather than having to click every other mod I want filtered out. Don't know if that's possible but I think it would be a cool option. Great job though I will definitely get good use out of this mod.

Thanks! Definitely a utility I was looking for. Works pretty well. One addition I would like to see is a filter option reversed to how the current filter works. It would be cool if I was just looking for Kethane parts to just click on the Kethane button rather than having to click every other mod I want filtered out. Don't know if that's possible but I think it would be a cool option. Great job though I will definitely get good use out of this mod.

I agree, after using it for awhile, that your suggestion is a better use case than the way the mod works currently, but I'd like to retain the flexibility that it currently has. I'll try to think of a way to have both. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm working on adding part type filters, e.g. show decouplers only, or engines only, etc.

Would be/ interesting if you could do a "Select All" thing to add with having to click the the mod you want, also with the option of slecting multiple mods as well.

Would be/ interesting if you could do a "Select All" thing to add with having to click the the mod you want, also with the option of slecting multiple mods as well.

Great idea! I added "Select All" (and deselect all) for version 0.200. Check it out!

This is brilliant thanx.

A sugestion: make the selections saveable. So that if you return to the VAB your filter stays as you put it.

The feature is definitely planned for the next update. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

What mods ad those tabs next to the science tab? The jigsaw piece I know is from subassembly loader, but I can't seem to find it for 0.20. And what are those two other tabs?

Issue report:

ciR8AAs.png

Also "sort by default" button needed...

Nevertheless this mod is gorgeous! ^_^

Thanks for the report. I'll fix those with the next update, and I can store the original Part Loader sort to give you a default; no problem.

Can you expand sort to support "recursive-sorting (or sub-sorting... or idk)" and interface with the PartModule config, hence allowing cool sorting :)

i.e. harHmht.png (Okay, not all of those are in the right place, but general idea [and I meant that as the first two pages of my own propulsion tab, not separate sorts... I just manually sorted it to look like that.])

Hence allowing sorts to become really complex, sorting by any value that is under the module config (ISPs, Resource Consumption, Range, [keeping it "determined by part" so that any mod can be added without a single line of code from you) or even sort by the resources (type, quantity of) in a particular object.

Edited by Fel

I have too many mods for this plugin. The "Mod View" button gives me a list that is longer than my screen. Could the update include a, well, scroll bar or something?

Due to be fixed in the next revision; see the TODOs on the OP.

Hence allowing sorts to become really complex, sorting by any value that is under the module config (ISPs, Resource Consumption, Range, [keeping it "determined by part" so that any mod can be added without a single line of code from you) or even sort by the resources (type, quantity of) in a particular object.

This would be really cool. The algorithms to do this would be easy to write; what's hard is the GUI code. How would this look, keeping in mind that I'm shooting for simplicity of both design and use?

This would be really cool. The algorithms to do this would be easy to write; what's hard is the GUI code. How would this look, keeping in mind that I'm shooting for simplicity of both design and use?

Sub-sorts get rather messy... but having a "list of filters" might work. (First filter removes everything but Wings, second filter removes everything but Nose Cones, what is left is at the end); sort could potentially be attached to the filter.

Perhaps a "Like This." You allow the player to "select" a part and then the mod will use that as the basis for the sort. (So if it is a RemoteTech dish, the plugin will allow you to "select" the remotetech module, then optionally select a value you with to create the "sorting criteria" with).

*In fact, "Like This" could allow the selection of MULTIPLE parts; and you could filter out what isn't the same with them.

Edited by Fel