Just for fluffy bunnies and giggles.....

1096bimu

Somebody "designed" an Eve return rocket purely on paper, with the mass, fuel, dv of each stage planned out but apparently doesn't have time to test it. I think he did all the calculations at work or something. Well since it does seem to have taken a lot of work for the math, I decided to put his design to the test, and the result was quite hilarious.

Turns out that his math worked out quite well, the mass and dv of each stage were accurate. However there was no consideration on some of the problems on practicality. For example, a first stage with 62 orange tanks and 62 mainsail engines. Another example is that the Eve lander stage is 400 tones, even if I didn't make it all vertical you still won't be able to land it safely.

J3aP3CF.jpg

k7KuLxM.jpg

QpjLuXy.jpg

EDIT:

I did some improvements over that crazy simple translation. This one is more compact and has some asparagus staging incorporated. It is obviously more stable and has improved Delta V.

eY5kRr1.jpg

Edited by 1096bimu

I envy the yellowness of the clock. How much parts and struts is this?

Also only 400 tonns with so many engines? I've launched 300t on only 25 mainsails, it feels like this has way too much thrust :P ... is Jeb on your design team?

edit: thought about that a little, and i wouldn't be surprised if the idea of one fuel tank for stack for the first stage was not the need of thrust but to make things not explode :). Nice idea da ze! Itadaki!

Still impressive work! GJ

Edited by Nao

I envy the yellowness of the clock. How much parts and struts is this?

Also only 400 tonns with so many engines? I've launched 300t on only 25 mainsails, it feels like this has way too much thrust :P ... is Jeb on your design team?

edit: thought about that a little, and i wouldn't be surprised if the idea of one fuel tank for stack for the first stage was not the need of thrust but to make things not explode :). Nice idea da ze! Itadaki!

Still impressive work! GJ

Well the landing stage is 400 tones, there's also a 400 tone transfer stage. So if I had enough struts, it would've delivered over 800 tone to LKO.

You need that Orion mod. Not the NASA spaceship... the one where you take a thick metal plate and then fire nukes underneath it. THAT would get you out of Eve orbit....

Or maybe Kerbal Attachment System with a carbon nanotube rope down from orbit.

But that many engines... How many gees does it push.... do you get squashed Kerbals?

~snip~

Just for future reference so you don't get in trouble, the moderators don't like it when people post a simple reaction picture. :wink:

To OP: Can we have some more updates on this? Is it possible to actually get this to Eve? Lastly, you should PM the link of this thread to the guy who did all this math if you haven't already. He would enjoy this the most. :)

Over four-thousand-five-hundred TONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: And all for only ONE Kerbal.

I like how much this is not a really big number in real life. The Saturn V rocket weights 2,800 tons.

One thing I have always wondered.... What is the Kethane like on Eve. Is there anywhere that you can mine enough for a reasonable sized rocket. Also, what about a mid-air launch? Use one of those helium airship things to lift you up and then fire your engines when you hit max altitude. These ones... http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/hooligan-labs-airship-parts-and-plugin/.

I've got soooooo many ideas that at least one of them should work without resorting to more engines than god has on his hot-rod.

One thing I have always wondered.... What is the Kethane like on Eve. Is there anywhere that you can mine enough for a reasonable sized rocket. Also, what about a mid-air launch? Use one of those helium airship things to lift you up and then fire your engines when you hit max altitude...

Contemplating the effectiveness of an Eve mining mission I took the time try and make an eve launch rocket. the airship mod actually works very well for what you have suggested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.