What is Muhatma Gandhi's first name?

CarolRawley

Mahatma Gandhi's first name is...  

1,038 members have voted

1. 1. Mahatma Gandhi's first name is...

Your poll confuses me, but not for the expected reasons!

Choice D is 'Something'

Choice E is 'None of the Above'

Both are valid answers if you think his name is not on the list. But which one to choose...

If I choose 'something' maybe its literal, and I am saying I think his name is literally 'Something Gandhi' and thus 'none of the above' is correct.

If I choose 'None of the above', maybe its being literal too, and saying he literally has NO FIRST NAME (since \'something\' would be all-inclusive to all other possible names, saying \'none of the above\' to it would discount them)

Since he was neither a Brazilian football player or a female pop star, he can\'t just have one name, so we have a logic problem. Thus I began to flowchart it, looking for a solution, but my pen ran out of ink.

So voted C, even though I do care. :(

Its Mohandas

It\'s mahatma, not muhatma. You idiot.

There are various transliterations of his title, none of which sound very much like the word as spoken in Sanskrit. The one you give is the current, official version, but Muhatma was and is still acceptable.

And less of the 'idiot' please. Knowing fractionally less than you do does not guarantee idiocy, nor does mistyping. At worst it can be slight ignorance or momentary absent-mindedness. At a stretch it might even be badly-programmed predictive typing!

In any case, it is neither mahatma nor muhatma, but Mahatma - it is a title, and as such is capitalised, the same as Mister, Sir, Your Grace and Your Royal Majesty. But don\'t worry, you are not an idiot for not getting that right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.