StaboJet VTOL Single Stage to Anywhere!

Well I'm back here again after the April forum crash, and I'd like to present something I've been working on for the last few weeks:

StaboJet - A revolutionary concept in SSTO Design

Stability demonstration - simulated engine flameout:

34zhk6w.gif

Because the thrust vector of each engine passes through the centre of mass, the craft will not spin or tumble when engines flame out at high altitude. This makes reaching orbit very easy, and allows heavier payloads.

WMNNWfJ.jpg

Download StaboJet Classic

rIOkHkZ.jpg

Download StaboJet Munar

V5fvaau.jpg

Download StaboJet Shuttle

gU7Jvpu.jpg

Download StaboJet Supply

All craft can reach Minmus and return with fuel to spare. The Munar and Supply variants can also land on and return from the Mun, or reach the outer planets and moons.

84rsUfV.jpg

fCwS8jk.jpg

AkPPK89.jpg

Enjoy! I'll be checking this page on a regular basis, so if you've got requests for additional variants or configurations (2 engine, 4 engine, etc), be sure to post a reply!

Edited by MeticulousMitch

I've been struggling for months to develop a stable multiple-jet SSTO rocket, and now I find this thread with a stroke of pure genius.

I'll be downloading this file and reverse-engineering it to understand how it works! :0

I was wonderind though, doesn't the drain of the fuel tanks shift the centre of mass?

That was my first thought, though jets are very efficient so by flameout time on ascent the CoM likely won't have changed much. Alternatively could put primary jet fuel tank centred on the CoM, then as it empties the CoM wouldn't change (I don't think KSP currently models fuel distribution within a tank right? Looking at the design again the jet fuel is aranged symmetrically around the CoM which would have a very similar effect. @OP Those look very nice, may have to give one a go.

Looks awesome! My only suggestion would be to use ram intakes (with the flat section on the inside of the craft). They would stack up nicer (continuous black surface), and you would get better performance with less drag and parts. But the "thurst through the CoM" trick is surely ingenious!

Rune. Also, the single stage to anywhere claim is bit dubious, there's this little planet called Moho...

Sorry to ask but...

What would be the best climb profile for this ? I wasn't able to rech orbit with either the Classic or the Munar. The nuclear engine isn't powerful enough to finish the job once the jets flame out.

Very Ingenius. May I borrow this concept for an SSTO?

Of course. I'd be happy to see this engine arrangement on other SSTO's!

Sorry to ask but...

What would be the best climb profile for this ? I wasn't able to rech orbit with either the Classic or the Munar. The nuclear engine isn't powerful enough to finish the job once the jets flame out.

Like all jet-powered SSTO's, you need to use less throttle in the upper atmosphere to keep the engines running. Another trick is to fire the nuclear engine when you reach 1500m/s surface speed - this will 'supercharge' the jet engines by forcing them to travel faster than they can propel the craft. You should be able to get at least partial thrust from the jet engines up to at least 36,000m. At this point, shut them off and fire into orbit on the nuke engine only.

Even though this craft doesn't have wings, you still need to fly a shallow profile above 20,000m in order to pick up lots of speed. You can't just go straight up into space.

Genius, just genius. I tried strapping a nuclear engine on my SSTO, but then the TWR was too low. Big rep for such ingenuity and amazing work with NOT using part clipping.

Edited by iDan122
Part clipping wasn't used

I also suggest replacing those circular intakes with ram intakes. They suck in more air.

Really? I've never noticed a big performance difference between the circular intakes and the ram intakes.

The main reason I use circular intakes is that they take up less space - try fitting 24 ram intakes on this ship and you'll see what I mean.

Part clipping wasn't enabled, although the editor is fairly lenient about intersections with the small cube trusses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.